No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bummer on this. Crack appeared about a hundred miles ago.
    I suppose it can be glued together.

sRNK73G.jpg
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

@ BuffaloBill- be extremely careful with any solvent to clean it AND the solvent in the glue...the paint on the plastic is very vulnerable. I recall bad experience with alcohol or acetone causing very bad smears ...I don't think I'd even trust water now-it could easily leave stains if nothing else.

Whichever glue you try, do try in a small test where it won't show- I'd go for epoxies first and really, for strength and reliability I'd favour JBweld (classic grey) and no cleaning whatsoever. yes, there'd be a line where the crack is. I might try other epoxies that might look better than gray but anyways, be warned.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
        Bummer on this. Crack appeared about a hundred miles ago.
        I suppose it can be glued together.

sRNK73G.jpg
        Wow, is this a common failure? Never seen that before.
        - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
        - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Yesterday I balanced the carbs and rebuilt the petcock on my 750. And finally got to take it on a proper road test. Ran way better than I expected, made it 75 miles without a hitch.
          - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
          - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Was trying to fix my wonky turn signals on my 1100E, took the turn signal switch apart to clean the contacts only to have it fly apart scattering the tiny springs etc across my garage floor. Found everything(?) put it back together carefully, as i was trying to reinstall the same thing happened again... this time I lost the little 3mm(?) ball bearing that gives the turn signal the side to side detent. My friend is sending me a good used switch from his moto salvage yard to replace missing pieces.
            Previous GS fleet: '78 1000C, '79 750E, '81 650G, '82 1100G, '81 1100E
            Other rides: '77 XS500C, '78 XS1100E, '00 Voyager XII

Comment

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post

Wow, is this a common failure? Never seen that before.
              The clocks do have problems, like the face screws vibrate lose. You can see the scratches at the bottom where it danced around for years, til I decided to take the glass off. Will have to do it again soon.
              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

Originally posted by gtem View Post
                Was trying to fix my wonky turn signals on my 1100E, took the turn signal switch apart to clean the contacts only to have it fly apart scattering the tiny springs etc across my garage floor. Found everything(?) put it back together carefully, as i was trying to reinstall the same thing happened again... this time I lost the little 3mm(?) ball bearing that gives the turn signal the side to side detent. My friend is sending me a good used switch from his moto salvage yard to replace missing pieces.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Oh this is a lifesaver!! Thank you so much! This forum and its members are an absolutely priceless resource
                  Previous GS fleet: '78 1000C, '79 750E, '81 650G, '82 1100G, '81 1100E
                  Other rides: '77 XS500C, '78 XS1100E, '00 Voyager XII

Comment

Oh this is a lifesaver!! Thank you so much! This forum and its members are an absolutely priceless resource
                    Well of course we are, we're you expecting anything less?
                    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Glad it was helpful. I don't work on things like this in the garage for exactly the reason you mentioned. This was on the kitchen table. I did lose the ball, but there's far fewer places in the kitchen for pieces to run to and hide and I was able to find it.
                      sigpic
                      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                      -Rusty old scooter.
                      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

sometimes you have to get creative.
                        Rich
                        1982 GS 750TZ
                        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Having a strong magnet can help find tiny steel parts you can't see.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post

Having a strong magnet can help find tiny steel parts you can't see.
                            Pingfeckits.

(and more characters. Honestly, who wrote this software?)
                            ---- Dave
                            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I find stuff's usually hiding behind my 10mm socket that I dropped previously
                              Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                              '79 GS100E
                              Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
                                I find stuff's usually hiding behind my 10mm socket that I dropped previously
                                926K views, 4.7K likes, 334 loves, 1.1K comments, 8.5K shares, Facebook Watch Videos from CarHax: show me the way https://youtu.be/DYQXszzM8F8
                                Last edited by Grimly; 06-18-2022, 10:33 PM.
                                ---- Dave
                                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                                X