No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A High powered impact should do it. Remember most impacts bought from sears, harbor freight, etc. only have about 250lbs tourque, IF you have a good compressor. I've gat a Matco impact that gives 500lbs, and if my compressor isn't working right, I can loosen bolts better than it will.
    Take your bike to an auto shop, ask who has the baddest impact,and offer him $20 if he can get the nut loose. It'll save you time and frustration

Comment

got the gs1150/1100 (1166) back together after two months. broken flost post fixed, carbs cleaned, all lights hooked up, swapped around a little bodywork/seat from the roller i got with my 1229 purchase. still need to hook up the rear brake light switch and find out why its blowing the main fuse with the stator hooked up.

then did a little damp towel clean up on my 10,000 mile 73 kawasaki z1. frame#184, engine#185. build date 9/72.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I've got a co worker who's got a badass impact (used to be an auto tech) that I'm gonna borrow, if not then it's cutoff wheel time

Comment

Nice stable Mr Cooley,The body work on that Kawa looks great.

1978 GS1000C
          1979 GS1000E
          1980 GS1000E
          2004 Roadstar

Comment

Phew.
            Rear wheel off, sprockets and chain off, and swing arm off in preparation for new chain and sprockets, and new swing arm bearings and bushes.
            Only real snag is I can't get the old bearings out. I have to find a suitable piece of rod or something, I guess. To "drive them out", as the Haynes manual recommends...
            I'm also going to have to figure out why my headlight cuts out intermittently. It comes back on if I wiggle the wires under the tank, but while everything's off I'm going to locate, remove and replace the questionable wire(s).

After this I expect a significantly tighter bike, although I should probably replace the steering bearings as well. And shocks. Haha.

No riding 750 to work tomorrow, then. But today it actually felt risky, so I took it apart so I wouldn't be tempted to ride it "just one more time".

Of course, a mate swung by on his '92 Ducati 900 SS after I'd removed everything, but we'll get another chance before winter. I hope.

Comment

Oh, btw, the swing arm had loads of rust inside it (it is like one of those rain sticks; whoooooooosh), so I'll be replacing that, too.
              My GS750 is getting a bit of an upgrade. Looking forward!

Comment

Originally posted by Hovmod View Post
                Oh, btw, the swing arm had loads of rust inside it (it is like one of those rain sticks; whoooooooosh), so I'll be replacing that, too.
                My GS750 is getting a bit of an upgrade. Looking forward!
                You got a link to a build thread here?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
                  You got a link to a build thread here?
                  No, I am new at this, so I don't see how my shenanigans could be of any help.
                  On the other hand, I could easily take a few pics along the way if anyone thinks they could benefit from it...

Comment

Sanded back the spacer for the Dynatek rotor so the advance mechanism actually advances now...
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Heres something thats funny, my bike has been running great but I noticed the bike was bogging on the highway and not getting enough gas to compensate. So I take the carbs apart and adjust the only thing that I forgot to when I redid them in the Spring...The floats, Uber dumb mis-hap right? I didnt think anything of it because I had super great Idle and no hanging rpm, just bad at 75 for 10 miles or more without running on prime. So I used my Digi Caliper and measured(correctly) and they were at 18mm each roughly give or take 1mm. Well thats almost 5 off Spec?!?!? So i set them all to spec, put them on and like Hell if the bike runs 10mph. The poor girl is so boggy now but I can hear a deeper sound now from her, Kinda like shes getting gas...lol. But Checked the plugs and super duper black. Kinda sucks that the bike ran decent enough to lolly gag around town but now its garbage being in spec. Gonna play with the mixture screws and see what happens but the surging is so erratic its rediculous. I am not a happy camper with LABOR DAY WEEKENDCOMING UP AND PROLLY WRENCHING IN THE GARAGE AND NOT RIDING AROUND BURNING UP GALLONS UPON GALLONS OF GAS IN THIS AWESOME WEATHER!!!! Ok I've vented, I feel better now. You all have a good weekend...
                      Last edited by Guest; 08-27-2011, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Went to bleed brakes on bike parked for 10yrs. I'm such a dufus.
                        Broke phillips head socket / had to drill master cylinder cap screw out / now need to invest in tapping tool. placed order with bike bandit for replacement parts. joy

Comment

Originally posted by ptexotik View Post
                          Went to bleed brakes on bike parked for 10yrs. I'm such a dufus.
                          Broke phillips head socket / had to drill master cylinder cap screw out / now need to invest in tapping tool. placed order with bike bandit for replacement parts. joy
                          Ouch! Been there done that first time I did my 450 brakes... exactly the same except I went to a local dealer for the parts at the time (13 years ago when they had them on hand).

As for me, I got my new oil pressure switch wire run last night so it will still work even with the Dynatek installed.

sigpic

Comment

Finally got this engine back in its frame.
                            I thought that Suzuki engines were a tight fit!

Daniel

Comment

I wrenched on selling junk on e bay so I can make some cash and buy some GS parts and eventually wrench on that GS, and finally get my 1100E on the road....still not there yet. Broke like a joke. But aint gave up hope! I will one day contribute to the thread "how fast is your old GS" or "is an 1100 that powerful" (whatever its called) lol

Comment

Finished getting the Dynatek hooked up tonight, man those coils are a bit of a squeeze!

Couldn't do the static timing yet though as I didn't have access to a battery tonight.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X