No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put a wheel back on a GSX650 after patching the rear tire. Why can't everyone use Kawasaki's rear wheel cam adjusters?

Comment

Comment

Got the GPz back on the road today. I popped the tranny a few months ago, replaced it but then it had an oil leak. LarryD came over and together we found a hairline crack in the case. Epoxied it up and no leaks (so far).

Comment

De-hurricane'd the the bike. I manage to slot it through a doorway to (barely) share the space with my GMC project truck (which is getting its wrench time taken away by the stupid bike) on Saturday to prepare for Irene. Getting it out was much harder than getting in (thats what she said....)

Still fighting the nut from hell on my friggin' front sprocket. Took a cutoff wheel to two of the flats (diagonal cuts) - deep but not all the way thru to avoid cutting into the output shaft. Again hit it with PB and impact. NADA! At least I found out why my left elbow has been acting up - been sometimes using it to stabilize the wrench in between the sprocket and frame while hitting it with the impact. Despite packing a punch that'll give my elbow a repetitive injury, my impact will not free it.

Got my replacement nut in the mail, Genuine Suzuki part, and it looks like it has pre-applied threadlocker! Red! This could be why it doesn't budge...chances are I'll get this thing rolling right before winter...

Comment

Originally posted by Danesa View Post
            Why can't everyone use Kawasaki's rear wheel cam adjusters?
            Why does anyone need wheel adjusters?

(For a clue to the humor in that, note the bikes in my sig.)

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Why does anyone need wheel adjusters?

(For a clue to the humor in that, note the bikes in my sig.)

Umm, umm, I got this one...
              Because if your bike is too heavy, it won't roll at all.
              I must admit, the snail adjusters are far easier to use than the traditional styles. I just did mine this morning: it took longer to remove and replace the cotter pin that it did to actually adjust the chain.

Comment

which way did he go?

Have been having occasional failure to light issues with both indicators. At first I suspected a bad ground, but after doing first aid on them, I still had issues. I looked at the turn signal control unit and held it as I attempted to signal--guess what. Yep. Bad control unit. Anyone looked at the price for a new one of these simple switches?!?!?! I am in the wrong business. Oh well, mama needs practice signaling anyway. It spreads out the tan more as we ride...

Comment

Last installation of my sprocket sob story.

Spent a total of 5 minutes with that damn nut. Cut it a little farther down, applied heat for 5 seconds w/ the propane torch. Impact didn't even flinch, it came right off. Fantastic...

Finished up mounting the front sprocket, chain, doing an all around bolt check, and quick ride around the block before dark. Took a couple of cranks since the bike sat for the better part of 3 weeks, but after the warm up, she was good to go. Next comes changing the oil tomorrow and I'm ready for the commute! (Probably just in time for rain haha)

Comment

Started tuning the GPz using an LM-1 Wideband. Works really well using the Innovate tailpipe adapter in the Kerker canister. Discovered it is fat on the mains and lean on the needles.
                    Synched the carbs at bwringer's, where we also adjusted the needles slightly.
                    Will do additional data runs and analyze them in Excel.

Comment

Originally posted by spwalker09 View Post

Spent a total of 5 minutes with that damn nut. Cut it a little farther down, applied heat for 5 seconds w/ the propane torch. Impact didn't even flinch, it came right off. Fantastic...

Finished up mounting the front sprocket, chain, doing an all around bolt check, and quick ride around the block before dark. Took a couple of cranks since the bike sat for the better part of 3 weeks, but after the warm up, she was good to go. Next comes changing the oil tomorrow and I'm ready for the commute! (Probably just in time for rain haha)
                      Good to hear that you finished it up.
                      Time to ride!

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by spwalker09 View Post

Alright! Glad you overcame, buddy, happy riding!

Comment

I got a little more done on this pile today between Hospital visits.
                          Every nut/bolt, part has had to be modified to even fit!!!
                          Had to block up the front pipe AND use a come along to get it seated on the head.

Closer to finished.

Daniel
                          Last edited by Guest; 08-31-2011, 10:06 AM.

Comment

I'm currently polishing the supercharger, throttle body, and some other parts off of a Mustang SVT.

Comment

Got to install new FBG clutch fibres and adjust clutch with 3 x Barrett aftermarket springs.
                              Managed to extract starter clutch with the Posplayr Puller and impact wrench. Will rebuild starter clutch tomorrow using red loctite (and allow to dry overnight)
                              Last edited by Guest; 08-31-2011, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Everything's been running good. The most grueling job I've had was throwing a new pair of grips on the Capn' today. I actually wore them out.

Comment

Working...
                                X