No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did an RR conversion on SuzieQ and fixed the oil leak at the pressure valve, and connected the electrics.
    V
    Gustov
    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
    81 GS 1000 G
    79 GS 850 G
    81 GS 850 L
    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
    80 GS 550 L
    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
    2002 Honda 919
    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Yet more fiddling with my ignition, I think it's cursed!

On Friday on the way to work the left cylinder stopped firing again for about a minute... just long enough for me to curse it, slam the throttle open in first to get some momentum in the traffic, and then for it to start firing just as I was upshifting as fast I could to second gear not to lose the momentum... almost did my first wheelstand! That would've been entertaining for those around me...

Talking to Todd at work (the fella on the Beemer who rides with us occasionally), he was wondering if it was my left coil this time instead of my left Dynatek module. I'm thinking surely I can't have this much trouble with Dynatek ignitions when everyone else finds them rock solid?

The symptoms were the same as when I replaced it the other week... left cylinder doesn't spark and the tacho on the Acewell stops working.

The Acewell tacho is fired off the negative side of the coil primary direct from the Dynatek, so it will stop if there's a wiring issue, if the Dynatek fails, if the coil loses power, or if the coil primary goes open circuit.

So yesterday I swapped the coils only, everything else including tacho lead, plug lead, plugs, etc. stayed the same. If the issue comes back and changes side, it's definitely the coil!

I also added a two pin plug from the coil so if it happens again I can pull over and easily use a test light without taking the tank off to see if the coil has power.

While I had the tank off and temporary tank in place, figured I'd balance the carbs as I haven't done that for ages.

Before:

After:

That's as close as I got it before running out of time and patience...
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Went to fit a replacement used but good stator on the second GS and found I'd been sent a 550 item, with the rubber grommet too far down the harness.
        Oh well, some splicing/heatshrinking/potting beckons tomorrow...
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
          The flagstone looks great, Glen.
          Got any more pics?
          Heavy lifting is finished...Still lots of finish work left....
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

That is beautiful.
            To my eye the random colours and shapes are so much nicer than the cut stone and solid colour.
            I used to do quite a bit of it so i know how much work is involved.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Put up a fence around the little veggie garden. Got the kids over so might as well put them to work.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I reconditioned and rebuilt my front brake calipers, the previous owner had worn the brake pads down to the metal! Fortunately when I bought it from him he also provided a spare set of front and rear wheels, so I also changed out the front wheel as those disks where smooth and still well within factory tolerance. Saved me $300 for a set of new front disk

Tomorrow I'll bleed the breaks and go for a ride, weather permitting.

Next problem to be solved is why the heck does my battery keep draining if I don't ride for about 5 days!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                  Installed my new FORK BRACE. Looks pretty good now let's test it at speed; not today of course...it's too windy!

Ed
                  What is a fork brace for? does it help with the likes of bump steer ??

Comment

How does this work? what do you need to do it ??

Originally posted by loud et View Post
                    First time doing some electrolysis rust removal. Non motorcycle related item....but practice for the future.

MMM bubbly!

Comment

Suzie Q is all tuned up now, synced the carbs and set those needles that you are not supposed to mess with. Have some investigation to do...no turn signals, and break fluid flush as well as new fork seals.

V
                      Gustov
                      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                      81 GS 1000 G
                      79 GS 850 G
                      81 GS 850 L
                      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                      80 GS 550 L
                      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                      2002 Honda 919
                      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Parts washer

well made myself a parts washer used a old laundry tub and a windscreen washer motor and a old battery charger.
                        tub (scrap)
                        washer (scrap)
                        Battery charger (retired)
                        degreaser to pump through it ($40)
                        Mucking around doing it (could of brought one) (a day and half)
                        if I had to do it again (half an hour tops)
                        Last edited by Guest; 05-10-2014, 07:24 PM.

Comment

what did I wrench on today??? a Yamaha virago with a locked up engine and a '69 mercury montego

Comment

I got my GS 850 running today. I took it apart to to clean, polish and upgrade. I installed a new stator and regulator/rectifier (thanks Pos and Steve for the helpful information) I also adjusted the valves, installed Dyna coils, changed all the oils. At first I couldn't get it to start, here I had the fuel petcock tuned to reserve and not prime. After I figured that out it started but was running rough. I let it warm up a bit then took it for a ride around the block. By the time I got back it was purring like a kitten. I then checked for oil leaks looked everything over then went out for a nice ride. After it sitting for over a year it was like riding a new motorcycle. Next I have to mount and balance my new Avon Road Riders and do the forks. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone at the Brown County Rally.
                            My Motorcycles:
                            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                            79 1000e (all original)
                            82 850g (all original)
                            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by cougar View Post
                              How does this work? what do you need to do it ??
                              Need battery charger with a manual setting and a 2 amp charge setting.
                              Mix 1-2 tablespoon Arm n Hammer Super Washing Soda (wal mart laundry section) per gallon of water in container.
                              Negative lead goes on the part to be de rusted. Positive lead goes on to the sacrificial rod/plate. I linked multiple rods with steel wire. Don't let the part touch the sacrificial rod. Leave overnight and check the next day. Leave in longer if needed. Trial and error. Take note of safety precautions as this produces some various gasses that can ignite.
                              Just google electrolysis rust removal....you will get numerous results that are pretty similar.
                              My results have been mixed based on severity of rust.
                              Edit- yeah...run to Wall Mart. Lol
                              I just saw you are in New Zealand. Haha

Comment

thanks loud may look at making one very soon

Comment

Working...
                                X