No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Um well removed.rear fender to remove carbs so i would not damage the carb boots. Cleaned the carbs, installed new carb hanger o-rings. Reinstalled carbs and just about sold the bike trying to get the throttle cable back on the cam before i realized i could just use my third hand instead. Unplugged wiring harnesses and checked resistance for kicks then used wires ties and rerouted them where i could to hide them. The mounting plate for the R&R got sanded and resprayed, install new R&R and cleaned grounds and used new fasteners. Painted shifter and foot brakes as well as turn signal pedestals and then realized i might regret that. Then i heard a scream for daddy and ran down the driveway to find my son had crashed skateboarding and darn near broke his arm in half. He is in better shape than the bike though.

Comment

My 60th birthday present to me today

I'm sure the kids will text message me a Happy Birthday but this is all mine! Will be putting in new rings, rebuilding a new head, rebuilding a new carb body, Oh Fun!!

Comment

The wife is gone and I immediately turn into a full fledged bachelor

next I'll be bringing the bike into the living room
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
          The wife is gone and I immediately turn into a full fledged bachelor

next I'll be bringing the bike into the living room
          What is that Tupperware bowl doing there on your work bench....?
          Carb dip....?

?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
            What is that Tupperware bowl doing there on your work bench....?
            Carb dip....?

?
            Egads no...I once boiled my carbs on the stove.....bad idea. How was I to know it would stink that bad?? next time I boiled them on the BBQ, equally as smelly, and I left the door open..opps
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by mcycle-nut View Post
              Well, it held up for two years, when I bought the bike. Bought some duct tape at the time. Luckily it's not where I sit, as I know it just turns into one sticky mess after a while if you're sitting on it. I will keep your trick in mind when the roll of duct tape runs out.
              Harbor Fright sells a liquid electrical tape that I have used quite successfully on cracks in my old seat(on the bike) pending a new seat cover.
              Last edited by Uncamitzi; 08-03-2014, 06:52 PM.
              sigpic
              Well, my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle.

1980 GS850GL

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                Egads no...I once boiled my carbs on the stove.....bad idea. How was I to know it would stink that bad?? next time I boiled them on the BBQ, equally as smelly, and I left the door open..opps
                A couple years ago i did the wintergreen/carb boot proceedure in a pot on the bbq.
                NASTY tasting hot dogs a couple days later.
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Today I installed a used airbox that I got, but have no filter, so I decided to go ahead and do it anyway. After almost 2 hours of lots of choice words and thrown things, I managed to get it and the carbs correctly installed and clamped down. Now I have to install the air filter which I will be receiving in the mail Tuesday. What a task all that was, holy cow! My bike had pods on it when I got it, and I didn't know how much of a bear it is to install an airbox. I also knocked out the old sight "glass" on my front master cylinder, and put in a new lexan glass one. It's currently drying, and I can't wait to see the results of that. If everything goes to plan, I will have my girl road ready this weekend!

Comment

Worked on the front end this weekend. The intent was to simply (yeah right) change the fork seals and fluid. But, when I had the had them apart I noticed a scored stanchion tube. Nothing too serious but suddenly the job became significantly more involved.
                    I used emery cloth to smooth out the groove; followed it with 000 steel wool. Good as new.

Also swapped the standard length clutch cable for a shorter 1000S cable.
                    Last edited by Guest; 08-03-2014, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Replaced a timing belt in a mercury tracer and removed, rebuilt and reinstalled a supercharger in a mustang.
                      Perhaps next weekend I can get back to the '78 750 project and finish it.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony View Post
                        After almost 2 hours of lots of choice words and thrown things, I managed to get it and the carbs correctly installed and clamped down.
                        One of the numerous reasons some of us favour pods. On my 1100E the battery sits directly below the airbox. With the airbox in place access is pretty much impossible, with pods it is sitting in the open. Good luck on the maiden voyage once you have her buttoned up.

Mark
                        1982 GS1100E
                        1998 ZX-6R
                        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                          One of the numerous reasons some of us favour pods. On my 1100E the battery sits directly below the airbox. With the airbox in place access is pretty much impossible, with pods it is sitting in the open. Good luck on the maiden voyage once you have her buttoned up.

Mark
                          Thanks Mark, I plan on tagging along with my dad on longer rides, because I honestly feel like my GS750E will do great keeping up. After she's all put back together, I think I will have a solid, reliable bike. That's exactly what I wanted! And all for under $2k If you are interested, here are two albums of my bike project: the first one (https://imgur.com/a/kDm6A) is Day 1, and the second (https://imgur.com/a/0kqvQ) is what I've been working on currently.

Comment

Trying to sync my carbs today...Got the SyncPro from MotionPro on Amazon and I'm having a HELL of a time getting things leveled out...
                            sigpic
                            Well, my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle.

1980 GS850GL

Comment

Wrenched (if that's the word) on my printer today. Finally got the thing back online after a few years of inactivity and the first thing I printed out was a registration plate for the bike - so it's related.
                              ---- Dave
                              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Spent the better part of the last 2 days doing a complete rewire of my boy's 1984 Moto Guzzi. I went as minimalist as possible. It's all done on the ignition system, the starter system, and the lighting. Nice new 6 pot fuse block to get rid of the crusty 30 year old, and all those corroded connectors and stuff are history. Now I have to upgrade the charging system, and it's good to go.

Comment

Working...
                                X