what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MI GS850G guy View Post
    Man...... that's a pretty bike you got there! I'm hoping my 850G will look that nice some day.

I have a question for you: in the first "before" shot, you showed the front of the engine casing (as opposed to the engine cover) where it had some fairly significant flaking of the silver paint. In addition to polishing the cover, did you also repaint the case? If so, what paint did you use? I'm trying to find the right paint to touch up the cases on my 850.
    Yes, I did give a quick spray to the engine casing. VHT Caliper paint. Found in most auto stores. Its a high temp paint, and the color is almost a dead on match of the original suzuki color. I couldn't locate a specific color number on the can I have, and I've since misplaced the lid. It'll be pretty obvious which color is the best match when you see it on the shelf.

By the way, that's a gorgeous CB900 custom you got there...
    PB
    Central Jersey
    82' Suzuki GS750T

"Old school is the best school"

Comment

Originally posted by Pb9717 View Post
      Yes, I did give a quick spray to the engine casing. VHT Caliper paint. Found in most auto stores. Its a high temp paint, and the color is almost a dead on match of the original suzuki color. I couldn't locate a specific color number on the can I have, and I've since misplaced the lid. It'll be pretty obvious which color is the best match when you see it on the shelf.

By the way, that's a gorgeous CB900 custom you got there...
      Thanks for the tip on the paint, and thanks for the compliment on the Honda. It didn't look like that when I bought it. It has gotten a LOT of attention (time and $$) from me since I bought it a year ago. All the paint on the blue parts is original - just with a ton of polishing with polishing compound and wax.

Comment

Spent about two hours yesterday (Saturday) hand-polishing the gas tank and side covers. There was a nasty scratch on the left side of the tank that I was able to (mostly) remove with some 1500 grit sandpaper, some rubbing compound, some polishing compound and finally a coat of wax. I got about 95% of it out, and pretty happy with the way it turned out. There were several smaller scuffs on the tank, and they all came out without using the sandpaper. There are a few places around the edge of the tank where the clear coat has begun to peel, but other than that, the tank looks pretty close to new!

Today (Sunday) I finally got around to installing the new OEM clutch springs I bought a couple of months ago. My carbs should arrive tomorrow from Steve (the GSWhisperer), so I'll finally be able to ride with the mechanicals pretty well sorted. I have also had two brand new tires (Shinko) installed since the last time I rode, so there should be a pretty noticeable difference. I can't wait!

Here's a pic of the scratch on the tank.....

image029.jpg

Comment

Finished off the anti-dive block off plates for the Kat project and started assembling one of the forks... until I realised I've got nothing handy to drift the fork seals in.

1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Recovered my seat...finally...wasn't as hard as I thought.
            Attached Files
            1981 GS 850G

sigpic

Comment

I wrenched all our furniture down the stairs... Moving out by the end of the month and our close date is the 6th... So we are packing the storage unit full for a week of homelessness.

Luckily All the Big and heavy furniture is moved and done. Just the small stuff in bags and boxes... Used the Uhaul (which was nice). 7 pickup truck loads later and we are mainly out of the house...

Jedz Moto
              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
              1988 Honda GL1500-6
              2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
              2020 Honda Monkey Z125
              2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
              Originally posted by Hayabuser
              Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                Finished off the anti-dive block off plates for the Kat project and started assembling one of the forks... until I realised I've got nothing handy to drift the fork seals in.

You can make your own seal driver. I took some pvc pipe, slightly smaller in i.d. than the o.d. of the inner fork. Cut a piece about 2" long. Then, cut it length wise so you can spread it apart. Wrap it around the inner fork and tighten it down with a hose clamp leaving at least 1/2" protruding below the clamp. Then use that inner fork/pvc as the driver. Worked like a charm for me. I saw it on you tube.
                Current Bikes:
                2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Get a length/diameter of PVC pipe that fits the seals, you can use that to tap them in.
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Was able to get the oil leak stopped on the stator cover. Had my "learning moment" about how important it is to make sure you REMOVE ALL OF THE OLD GASKET before you re-install a new gasket and cover....(Duh). Used a good semi hardening gasket sealer with the cleaned and reinstalled gasket and she's dry as a bone when running, and leaned on the side stand. pheew...She was starting to think she was a British Bike or somethin, leakin' oil all over the ground...LOL

PB
                    Central Jersey
                    82' Suzuki GS750T

"Old school is the best school"

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                      You can make your own seal driver. I took some pvc pipe, slightly smaller in i.d. than the o.d. of the inner fork. Cut a piece about 2" long. Then, cut it length wise so you can spread it apart. Wrap it around the inner fork and tighten it down with a hose clamp leaving at least 1/2" protruding below the clamp. Then use that inner fork/pvc as the driver. Worked like a charm for me. I saw it on you tube.
                      Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                      Get a length/diameter of PVC pipe that fits the seals, you can use that to tap them in.
                      Cheers guys! Using PVC had crossed my mind, will see what I have around the place. Got a few other pro-tips along the way as well.
                      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Got some 8mm 1.25 (course) nuts at hardware store (to replace the ones I lost for mounting fairing).

Hum, they need 13mm wrench, stock ones are 12mm .... humm, but the fit the studs real easy.

Huh ....

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Pb9717 View Post
                          Was able to get the oil leak stopped on the stator cover. Had my "learning moment" about how important it is to make sure you REMOVE ALL OF THE OLD GASKET before you re-install a new gasket and cover....(Duh). Used a good semi hardening gasket sealer with the cleaned and reinstalled gasket and she's dry as a bone when running, and leaned on the side stand. pheew...She was starting to think she was a British Bike or somethin, leakin' oil all over the ground...LOL

Beautiful.

I've replaced the valve cover and oil pan gasket but I'm still challenged by my "T". It's a mystery I love! Lol

Ed
                          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Spent the weekend having fun, cussing at the PO's choice in mechanic and the PO himself.

Friday - Installed Sonic Springs, rebuilt forks/seals/orings. Found the PO or his mechanic broke one of the air valves on the forks... got creative with a temp fix and ordered the right valve. Found front wheel bearings need replacement...still work but need replaced...bad shape. Ordered bearings. - next weekend job for both.
                            Saturday - Slipstreamer windshield install. - got all my parts for carb rebuild... 98 degrees outside.. decided to rest.
                            Sunday - Carb/intake/airbox rebuild all new orings and jets. You will love this one... found the cam chain tensioner locked down...pulled it to check.. dumb arses forgot to release it. Corrected the issue. Also did a valve check. 4 valves at less than .01 and the other 4 about .03. PO had valve job done less than 1500 miles ago... don't think they knew what they were doing.. thanks to my purchase a few months ago of a suzuki NOS valve shim kit... all valves .05-.07, best I can do for now. Also changed gear oils.. pulled out starter, need to rebuild it, getting close on brushes, parts ordered... again next weekend job.
                            synced and set carbs.
                            Today - new left and right handle switches and complete meter hood came in, installed left, right and meter hood will have to wait til a good weekend day, the wiring mod was done on my bike and I don't have the time working nights to unscramble what was done to reconnect during the week.

Bike runs phenomenal, Steve... I am hoping for even better gas mileage now lol.

Comment

Put a fork seal in the 850. Amazing how much better they are with oil in both forks....

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Falcon View Post
                                Spent the weekend having fun, cussing at the PO's choice in mechanic and the PO himself.

Friday - Installed Sonic Springs, rebuilt forks/seals/orings. Found the PO or his mechanic broke one of the air valves on the forks... got creative with a temp fix and ordered the right valve. Found front wheel bearings need replacement...still work but need replaced...bad shape. Ordered bearings. - next weekend job for both.
                                Saturday - Slipstreamer windshield install. - got all my parts for carb rebuild... 98 degrees outside.. decided to rest.
                                Sunday - Carb/intake/airbox rebuild all new orings and jets. You will love this one... found the cam chain tensioner locked down...pulled it to check.. dumb arses forgot to release it. Corrected the issue. Also did a valve check. 4 valves at less than .01 and the other 4 about .03. PO had valve job done less than 1500 miles ago... don't think they knew what they were doing.. thanks to my purchase a few months ago of a suzuki NOS valve shim kit... all valves .05-.07, best I can do for now. Also changed gear oils.. pulled out starter, need to rebuild it, getting close on brushes, parts ordered... again next weekend job.
                                synced and set carbs.
                                Today - new left and right handle switches and complete meter hood came in, installed left, right and meter hood will have to wait til a good weekend day, the wiring mod was done on my bike and I don't have the time working nights to unscramble what was done to reconnect during the week.

Bike runs phenomenal, Steve... I am hoping for even better gas mileage now lol.
                                You really don't need the air now with the new Sonic springs and fresh fork oil. Cap them off and forget'em.
                                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                                X