Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rick, i do not know planes but it looks like your vintage one might be a T-6 Mosquito.
    Sounds like it was used mostly for training but then pressed into service during the Korean War.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks for the pass Rick. On my ride I was looking for a horse or two but instead I came across elephants. What a fluke it was coming across these guys. I'll make the next tag any exotic animal. As an alternate, I'll accept the horses I was originally looking for.

1985 GSX750SF (BOTM March 2015)
      1986 GSX750SG (parts bike/project?)

Comment

Is one of those elephants the one that roughed up that car on the news?

V
        Gustov
        80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
        81 GS 1000 G
        79 GS 850 G
        81 GS 850 L
        83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
        80 GS 550 L
        86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
        2002 Honda 919
        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
          Rick, i do not know planes but it looks like your vintage one might be a T-6 Mosquito.
          Sounds like it was used mostly for training but then pressed into service during the Korean War.
          http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/fac...eet.asp?id=287
          It is a North American T-6 Texan. flown in the Korean war by the USAF, designated "Mosquito". It was originally used a trainer by the Navy in WWII. They called it an SNJ. My father is in the co-pilot seat, Dahlgren, VA, 1943.
          Last edited by Guest; 07-20-2015, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Now THAT, is a cool picture...
            '83 GS 1100T
            The Jet

sigpic
            '95 GSXR 750w
            The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Hmmm, elephants may be a reach, unless I can sneak into the zoo. We did have some bison and ostrich in nearby Oviedo. You could get meat there, I'll have to look them up to see if they are still around.
              GSRick
              No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
              Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

How about bronze statues of elephants?

2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

If the smaller, slower moving bronze elephants are acceptable, the next tag is your local School Board building.
                  This one is the District School Board of Niagara.

2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I almost hit a wild turkey in the road today. I guess that wouldn't fit the exotic part of the tag, not to mention we were both moving too fast getting out of each other's way for a photo opportunity. He was all feet and wings for a second and than ran off the road, good thing since he was a rather large one.

Comment

They look like they're moving to me.
                      GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

If the smaller, slower moving bronze elephants are acceptable, the next tag is your local School Board building.
                        This one is the District School Board of Niagara.

I didn't know school boards had their own buildings. Our board just uses an available room at the high school. Seems normal to use one of the schools you manage instead of an extra building. Guess I'm not able to get this tag.

Comment

[QUOTE=steve murdoch;2207411]How about bronze statues of elephants?

Nice find Steve.
                          1985 GSX750SF (BOTM March 2015)
                          1986 GSX750SG (parts bike/project?)

Comment

It should have been "normal" to use an off-hour school or at least a smaller building.
                            They built this monstrosity for huge dollars and even added some expensive artwork. Meanwhile programs are cut and layoffs occurred.
                            I rarely play so i don't want to hold up the game.
                            How about a large BLUE building as a backup tag.

GS1100 swingarm on the Honda for Suzuki content. haha.
                            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                              I thought I'd try something vintage for the next tag. Out at a small airport outside of the town of Apopka at the Apopka-Orlando Airport. This vintage PAN AM passenger plane has been put to pasture and has been there since I went to Apopka High School near by.

This was landing right as I was leaving the property, so I had to turn around. I'm not a plane aficionado, so I'll leave that to others to describe what type it is.

So an alternate to the passenger, will be a vintage fighter plane(not jet). It can be a grounded display.
                              I have other back up tags waiting if needed.
                              That plane is a North American T6 Texan.
                              sigpic
                              Steve
                              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

It should have been "normal" to use an off-hour school or at least a smaller building.
                                They built this monstrosity for huge dollars and even added some expensive artwork. Meanwhile programs are cut and layoffs occurred.
                                I rarely play so i don't want to hold up the game.
                                How about a large BLUE building as a backup tag.

GS1100 swingarm on the Honda for Suzuki content. haha.
                                I can get this, Orange county has building.
                                GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Working...
                                X