Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEW TAG: Find something at least 50 years old that brings back memories of years past. Does not have to be farm equipment BUT it MUST be something historical - in this sense it reflects back on the country's early days of farming and how it was done before companies like John Deere and Ford

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

What a great tag! So broad yet so interesting. I have a couple things I may post even if someone gets the tag by Saturday (and I hope someone does).
      "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

yep, it's snowing, guess i'll just watch for a while.
        2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
        82 gs1100L probably the next project
        1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
        https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
        1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Originally posted by Eli69 View Post
          yep, it's snowing, guess i'll just watch for a while.
          I'll try and get the picture today. I might not be able to post it until tonight though, so someone may yet beat me to the punch.... What's the big deal on the snow, Eli? Just ride on out there and get a picture with snow falling... Where's your sense of adventure?

Comment

Looks like the same kinda rake. Plus a 1937 ford pick-up

Next up...

A Full Moon

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Full Moon? Isn't that done and past now for another month? Guess I'll have to look at my calendar to see if there's still one out tonight.

Comment

It looked pretty full tonight but I think its actually tomorrow. Thatll give ya an extra day....night to get the tag .
                82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Yea it's this weekend guys. Hmmm

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Well, there's a chance I'll get the pict tomorrow night on my way home from the gig I'm playing (if it's not covered by clouds).

Comment

A Full Moon
                      It did'nt have to be at night did it ?

Comment

Great catch Deano!!

As promised (threatened) here are some pics I snapped yesterday, in the spirit of the 'artifacts from yesteryear connected to a previous way of life'. I just love this stuff, and have to share.

Exhibit A: this is one of many old forges scattered throughout our area, they can be seen beside old back roads. I'm sure they date back to the early 1800s or earlier, obviously when metal working was a local affair. All the forges are of similar design, I'm not sure why we have so many.

Exhibit B: an antique gas pump, probably well over 50 years old, hearkening back to the days of uniformed gas station attendants filling your car, checking your oil, cleaning your windshield. Extra bonus is that the 'mom and pop' garage is still in business. I love Stillwater!

Exhibit C: last but by no means least is this viaduct located just outside of Blairstown NJ. This is part of the Lackawanna Cutoff rail system connecting PA and NJ. It was built in 1910, and was a marvelous engineering feat in its day, one of the largest projects in the nation at the time, as well as one of the first uses of reinforced concrete. It once serviced a booming tourist industry to and from the Poconos, but has been abandoned since the early 80s, people are trying to bring it back into service. This viaduct is enormous, it's really hard to get the scale of it from pictures. By the time I was far back enough to get the bottom and top into the picture you could barely see the bike at the bottom. I've been up inside the arches in the past, and walked along the tracks at the top. This is a favorite spot for 'rural graffiti artists'.

I hope you enjoyed yesterday's ride!
                        "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Allie's pictures really don't do justice to the size of that thing. After it crosses the road it spans a river that is maybe 60 to 70 feet wide. At the top looking down your almost 200 feet above the surface of the water. Its a awesome feat of engineering for the time. Is is also a whole lot of fun to climb around in there.
                          Cool pictures!!

Comment

Wow that was cool Allie. I sure want to see more some day. It must be nice to get away from the big towns out there which is all I've seen whenever I went out east.

Deano, what's the next tag?

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Yeah, what's the next tag? I had one ready, but the clouds and rain obscured the full moon for me.

Comment

Ok, the previous poster with the daytime full moon didn't provide a tag, so here's the new tag (I've made the possibly disputed decision that I can do this)
                                Here's the tag: Any passenger railway station that has historic value, operating or not, preferably on the National Historic Registry or on a State Historic Site registery.

Comment

Working...
                                X