X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redman View Post
    Oh... yah.
    I left out that detail.

The splines between clutch and transmission stripped out.
    Dealer has pretty much confirmed that, just this afternoon.

On this (and similar) BMW models that is a $3500 repair. Requires removing everything from rear of engine back just to gain access to the clutch area. And replacing the transmission input shaft requires complete disassembly and rebuild of transmission. THis failure is a known problem on the redesigned for 2002 6 speed transmission. And BMW never did anything about it.
    I read a lot about this AFTER I bought the bike, and could yammer on about it more than anyone would likely care to hear.
    So that is why I pretty much figured out that this is what happened about 3 seconds after it happened. But then I figured I had better quit trying to diagnose the mechanical problem ... and deal with the fact that I was just coasting at 75 then 70 then 65mph on a 4 lane interstate in the 3rd lane and needed to work my way over to the right as quick as possible without getting hit. I did have to wait for one car to get past me to move to the 2nd lane then got to 1st lane but by then there was the start of an exit ramp lane and had to deal with a car there (don't recall specifics). On other side of the exit lane was only a lot of room and then a curb.

At this point, I am assuming it is a complete loss.
    But don't really know how it will proceed with the dealer.
    Interesting thing is that before this had happened, I had meet the dealer owner/manager on one occasion. And on a ride I meet one of the head salesman. Both of which recognized me when I came in on the tow truck, and both of which say they will do what they can to help me out.

If you have heard that BMWs are expensive to own and maintain.
    Well, in my case, so many thousand dollars, rode it for so many days, works out to about $900 a day.

Redman,
    Found a Youtube video partially covering the job. Looks hard, but do-able by a reasonably skilled DIYer

INCOMPLETE VIDEO but your Clymer manual will cover the initial lost footage. I will film a new, comprehensive video to replace this short one sometime in 201...

At 16,491 miles this 2004 R1150RT suffered a failure of the transmission input shaft / clutch hub splines. This is a common problem with hydraulic clutch act...

Hope this helps, or maybe you can find a local GSer willing to help
    sigpic
    09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
    1983 GS1100e
    82\83 1100e Frankenbike
    1980 GS1260
    Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
      Thanks for the pics...your G looks awesome!
      Thanks. It is an unrestored survivor, was parked inside for 18 years. Other than cleaning the fuel system and tank, and replacing all the 34 year old brake parts and other normal stuff, it is like a time capsule.
      sigpic
      09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
      1983 GS1100e
      82\83 1100e Frankenbike
      1980 GS1260
      Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
        Took the GS out today to Enumclaw, on the way to Mt. Rainier. Sunny and mid 50s.

Mt. Rainier in the distance (sorry for the bad photography)

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
        Thanks. It is an unrestored survivor, was parked inside for 18 years. Other than cleaning the fuel system and tank, and replacing all the 34 year old brake parts and other normal stuff, it is like a time capsule.
        Truly a gorgeous specimen! Great to see such a nice GS still out and about. You guys out west really can keep your bikes pristine huh???

I'll be taking one from the book of Trevor and learning how to keep a MC spotless... Now that I have a machine that actually cleans up nice.

Keep the PIcs coming Bob, They aren't bad at all.
        Jedz Moto
        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
        1988 Honda GL1500-6
        2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
        2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
        Originally posted by Hayabuser
        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Just wondering, because I have the same bike, how rare are those black front guards.

Comment

I was super hesitate at first to post this... I lost the Go-Pro off the bike mid ride, no worries it's a go-pro it was no worse for the wear. tried to film some first impressions...

Oh well taking the B-king out for a spin!
            Last edited by Jedz123; 02-23-2015, 05:31 AM.
            Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
              .......................... I lost the Go-Pro off the bike mid ride, no worries it's a go-pro it was no worse for the wear. ............]
              ha

Thanks for posting.

Now, tell me, did you purposely park bike in view of the camera? That was great.

I lost my first digital camera off the bike. (this after having film cameras for decades). In my mirror I could see it bounce. Went back and found it. Case was open and circuit board hanging out. My first thought was "Oh, No! All my photos have been exposed to light." oh....

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Out doing some errands and a bit of a ride. Nice view of Victoria looking east, you can see Mt. Baker in the background. Super nice day today.

Rob
                1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                  ha

Thanks for posting.

Now, tell me, did you purposely park bike in view of the camera? That was great.

I lost my first digital camera off the bike. (this after having film cameras for decades). In my mirror I could see it bounce. Went back and found it. Case was open and circuit board hanging out. My first thought was "Oh, No! All my photos have been exposed to light." oh....

Thanks
                  No It wasn't intentional I just so happen to park right across from it. The Go-Pro is one robust piece thankfully. Cool little short. I'll do better next time. Ordered a bunch of new sticker based mounts for the BK.
                  I really never used film based camera's (Except video cams that used magnetic film). LOl But I get the idea.

Oh and my condolences to the BMW... I'm really sorry to hear about what happened to it.
                  Jedz Moto
                  1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                  1988 Honda GL1500-6
                  2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                    Out doing some errands and a bit of a ride. Nice view of Victoria looking east, you can see Mt. Baker in the background. Super nice day today.

You guys are really getting blessed with the weather!!! We hit a high of 8' F today and tonight we will see -20' F. Next thaw day is next Saturday ( if we are lucky) But believe it or not in a matter of weeks we will be above the freezing point.

Ride safe and keep the pics coming in PNW riders so we can live vicariously through you guys!
                    Jedz Moto
                    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                    1988 Honda GL1500-6
                    2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

I rode to work today. now i'm working at my other job 3-11 and I actually drove the truck. Haven't drove it since last Thursday and I decided I might like driving it home at 11 instead of the bike. Don't know why. It's supposed to be down to around 5 (40) tonight when I leave work.
                      No signature

Comment

You guys are really getting blessed with the weather!!! We hit a high of 8' F today and tonight we will see -20' F. Next thaw day is next Saturday ( if we are lucky) But believe it or not in a matter of weeks we will be above the freezing point.
                        I have to agree. You guys out west are blessed. Ontario has been blasted with lots of snow and freezing cold temps. Last nights temp was -20C. The high for today -7C with more snow coming. The groundhog never said anything about ridiculous cold weather for six more weeks.
                        1985 GSX750SF (BOTM March 2015)
                        1986 GSX750SG (parts bike/project?)

Comment

I looked at my bikes today. It was -16F.

edit: it is now -20F (-29C) and the bikes look colder...heck it's hard enough to breath never mind climb on the bike.
                          Last edited by Guest; 02-24-2015, 08:38 AM.

Comment

I feel guilty posting pics with all the bad weather so many people are experiencing..but what the heck.

Warning...I was on the Bavarian Bit*h today....

No signature

Comment

Took the 850L out for a blow today, just a short ride of 68 miles.

V
                              Gustov
                              80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                              81 GS 1000 G
                              79 GS 850 G
                              81 GS 850 L
                              83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                              80 GS 550 L
                              86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                              2002 Honda 919
                              2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Ride safe and keep the pics coming in PNW riders so we can live vicariously through you guys!
                                Jed: You know how scary your video was (and I knew to expect the camera dump)?

I don't know how expert a rider you are, but I know your location, the temps, I see all the snow and I know what a B King is. Please wait a while for your second ride.

Park her indoors, I don't care if you have to roll her in the front door, get out some rags and your cleaning supplies, and try to resist.
                                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
                                X