anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
    ................. on my new-to-me Harley XR1200 Sportster. I traded in the XG7560A Street-Rod for it ...........
    J, So you had the 750 for how long? 6 months?

1200 just physically bigger, better ergonomics... I gather.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Yesterday I nabbed 130 mile on my new-to-me Harley XR1200 Sportster. I traded in the XG7560A Street-Rod for it was causing some horrid hip issues. The XR is by far the better bike even though it's 7 years older. Some upgrades are in the cards but it rides so much like a true standard bike (FZ1, 6, Bandit, etc). Harely really did it right on this one. Funny for the dealer called it a "Fast" bike and it really isnt. 90Hp I think this one makes, it's perfect for me for it's a touch faster then the XG750A was. Handles very very well... Plus I love the retro inspired modern day look. Very rare bike. 2K miles on the clock (Street-Rod had 13K).

Anyway traded it in dealer got me a hell of a deal. Much better machine.... Took it on route 17. Frickin' awesome day for it.
      Interesting and totally unexpected.

Did a quick Google search — Cycle World rated it a best used bike in 2015.
      Please recheck the URL for the proper spelling. Or use our search box at the top of this page to find what you're looking for.

How would you compare it to the Roadster?

Comment

Wow!

Beautiful pics Jedz!

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by MI GS850G guy View Post
          Awesome pictures Jedz. I'll bet there are a LOT of roads that look like that in Vermont. So how's the vibration issue with a big twin like the Harley? I've always shied away from big twins because I assume they'd vibrate more than I'd like. And I gotta say I've never been much of a Harley guy, but yours does appeal to me.
          I live right at the base of route 73 so i get to test my bikes out after repair on one of the best mountain gaps in the state (IMHO) great sweepers.

the bike Vibrates like a MUTHA! Well anything south of the 2K RPM line it does. It's quite smooth actually while cruising (for a V-twin). I love the power delivery or more less the power on tap in any rev range. Twist the throttle and 1200cc evolution motor just has torques on tap anywhere including down in the 1800RPM range, it's nuts. It's a different type of power delivery all together. I prefer it, especially while touring loaded.

This Sportster engine is unique to this bike for it has a downdraft intake system, better flowing heads, Oil-cooling (not just air cooled) with an oilcooling system similair to the SACS system found on the old Gixxers. Forged crank and tighter clearances all round. It pulls right to the 7K rpm red-line. It's heavy but I like it!

Originally posted by Redman View Post
          J, So you had the 750 for how long? 6 months?

1200 just physically bigger, better ergonomics... I gather.
          I had the XG750A for just shy of 6 months (by a few days). The ergonomics were horrid. I went to the Doctor for I started to develop chornic hip pain, right after my big 3K mile trip to Deals gap and back. The pegs are so F'd up on the XG750A that it causes the hip to lock up. Also the tank is ridiculously wide. The motor is phenomenal and the handlig is very good but look at my legs here:

It puts you in this odd frog stance and I just couldn't bear to ride it for more then an hour at a time... That is WITH a jacked up seat... Aslo suspension was good a but a bit finicky...

I brought it in with serious concerns, they gave me a stellar offer on the XR1200 and I took it.

Weight wise the bikes aren't too far off from each other, the XR hold it's weight a little higher but the pegs and Ergos are worlds better, makes since because the XR was designed exclusively for the Euro sport touring market and was released there first AND THEN came to the states after there was a huge call for it. Yesterday I went 130 miles and didn't have any pain, where as on the XG on the same distance I would have been in big pain and looking for Advil and Aleve...

I believe the wheel base is slightly longer on the XR but the 17" ZR tread make it feel like a Fat Bandit basically. The Geometry of the bike and added weight make it a great sport touring rig, for sure. I'd say it rides very much like ZRX but with a little more sorted suspension. The XR handles better then the XG, Stops better then the XG and holds a line better then the XG. Not nearly as finicky in the turns.

Originally posted by jabcb View Post
          Interesting and totally unexpected.

Did a quick Google search — Cycle World rated it a best used bike in 2015.

How would you compare it to the Roadster?
          I test road the Roadster too because I knew the Street-rod was not going to do it for me and I was not getting on a Cruiser. I wanted a bike that could tour well but eat up twisties when I found them.
          A few but critical differences:
          1. Power delivery is better on the XR, it's faster and the motor spins up 1K rpm more then the Roadster. The Lump on the XR is by far superior.
          2. Suspension and ergonomics are way better on the XR vs the Roadster. I was scraping pegs on the Roadster on the test ride where I didn't even get close with the XR so cornering clearance was not nearly as good. Both are very comfy and have a standard seating position but the XR has a more modern fell with modern lean angles .
          3. The 19" front really pi$$es me off on the Roadster... Well it's nice but when I ride the Roadster all i can think of is I'm riding a classic GS. It hold the line fine but the XR with it's 17" ZR tread hold a line truer and is a Modern MC. Not saying the Roadster is not a modern MC but it definitely feels more like a retro modern ride vs the XR, I would say the Roadster is more similar to the T120 Triumph.

Obviously I chose the XR over the XL because of the build and geometry. The XR definitely hold it's weight up higher then other Sportys but it's defintly worlds apart, not like any other Sportster out there.
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
          Wow!

Beautiful pics Jedz!

Ed
          Thanks Ed!
          Jedz Moto
          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
          2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
          Originally posted by Hayabuser
          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

I would rather have a Buell Cyclone, personally, but nice bike, Jedz.

I got in a ride, but once again, human powered.
            IMG_20171022_131745233.jpg
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

The XR1200 is a cool bike and the best part? It's the Harley that Harley guys wouldn't touch with a ten foot doorag hence the excellent deal the dealer gave you. Isn't it funny that all of Harley's best bikes have been hated by their faithful? I'd have one of these in a heartbeat.

Anyway, I went out today in search of fall colours... we don't get vibrant colour changes out here on the coast, a bit because it's generally pretty mild and we don't get much frost, but mostly because of all the evergreens being forever green!

Still lovin' the VanVan!
              2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
              2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

"H-D XR1200... it's like a Ducati Monster, but for men."

2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

If you like the XR, You would LOVE the Buell Ulysses.

Comment

Originally posted by B.C.G.S. View Post
                    If you like the XR, You would LOVE the Buell Ulysses.
                    I'm not an adventure bike guy so the Buell XB-series is far more appealing to me than the Ulysses.
                    2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

HAHA Thanks Dave! I was thinking about it and I feel like I'm the east coast version of you
                      How many miles you got on the VanVan these days?

Went for a 300+ mile ride yesterday, Gorgeous riding and come to find out that 8 hour days on the XR are actually quite nice! Looking for fuel every 120 miles so the range isn't the best, similar to the XG750A.

Went to Sporty's Iron Duke Saloon in Minerva then just rode around the Adirondacks and Green Mountains. Good day to ride, No cars on the road.

Upstate NY had a better colors then we did in VT this year! Gorgeous riding, highly recommend you do it one of these days!
                      Jedz Moto
                      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                      1988 Honda GL1500-6
                      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

How's that pancake of a seat for long trips, Jedz?
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

Jedz, you remind me of a friend of mine who changes his bikes and cars often. Keep up the good work.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                            How's that pancake of a seat for long trips, Jedz?
                            More Comfy then my FZ6 Seat but not quite as comfy as a Gen 1 FZ1. I say the bike is as comfy as my B-12 was for the long haul. With Highway pegs this thing would be great, with a Corbin and Highway pegs I'll be able to run +500 miles and not break a sweat.
                            Jedz Moto
                            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                            1988 Honda GL1500-6
                            2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Good to know. I'm a one bike man until the CB900f is perfect and I can afford a dualsport of some sort.
                              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                              1982 CB900f

Comment

HAHA Thanks Dave! I was thinking about it and I feel like I'm the east coast version of you
                                How many miles you got on the VanVan these days?
                                Just rolled over 2000kms on the way to work this morning.
                                2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X