No announcement yet.

anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i did have a ride. I went to visit my grandparents and to buy a 12v usb c charger. When almost home the traffic was stopped because of construction.Since it wasnt moving at all, I killed the engine. Started up fine. The second time the bike was DEAD. Nothing happened when Ipushed the button.

I figure I need to go somewhere more sensible to stand still, so I push the bike like 300 feet up a hill and then like 200 more to get to a downhill. I hoped my battery was dead, so Itried to roll start it, but it just sputtered but didnt fire properly.

So I took off my helmet to try to fix it, then some rabid seagulls started attacking me. They are angry now because of the young birds. I figure they were just diving and showing off. But NO, they decided to *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ all over me and my bike...

I get back to pushing the bike, as I didnt want to stay with the hostile seagulls. Since I am pretty winded I call my wife to bring some water and some rags to clean off me and my bike (should hsve snapped a picture).

I did manage to get it started again after opening up the switch thing. First I just managed to get the starter to engadge but not the coils, and was confused. Then I found what to short to get the coils. I rode home holding the wire with my index finger and thumb hoping I wouldnt stall it.

And now we are going on a weekend trip to Alta (in car sadly), so I cant do anything about it now...
    GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Hayabuser View Post
      The upside to a bike tire wearing out in 5000-8000 miles is that the bearings, races, chain, sprockets, etc all get inspected every 5-8K miles during the tire change. With a car tire lasting 10x that long, there's a very good chance that regular inspection items will be ignored with possible life-threatening consequences down the road.

Having said that, I look forward to the mile-long rolling burnout video, Justin.
      This is actually another of the minor issues and reasons I took it off..
      The GL1500 has a troublesome rear drive system adn required maintenance to make it last -
      Every 40 to 50K was not enough -- I did it every 15K while I ran the Michelin Pilot GTs - that was a good schedule for the Goldwing
      Currently in the Stable :
      2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
      1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
      - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
        Yeah... Trying something I've never done before, ride from yesterday:
        You're lucky you have a rear rim that's wide enough, as many modern bikes do.
        I'd have had a car tyre on the 850 years ago if it weren't for the skinny rears of the 80s era, and I've spent four out of the past five years slowly gathering parts to enable me to fit something else onto the back (a Cavalcade rear), but it's not a simple or straightforward conversion.
        Then, in February, a custom-made rear wheel from a GS1000G that was used as a sidecar hauler appeared on ebay for not a lot of money.
        I grabbed it quick before anyone else saw it (in reality, probably not a lot of competition for it) and it will be making an appearance on the 850 soon, complete with skinny European car tyre of 135/80-15.

It's a 15" car alloy wheel been lathed out and welded on to a standard GS shafty hub. Very neatly done, and I've no doubt whatsoever it was done properly and not by some goon in his back shed.
        Sidecarists still get wheels like this made for them, but less need nowadays as the wider rims on standard bikes rule out the necessity for it. I know that the cost of getting one made from scratch would have ruled it out for me. The experiment just isn't worth that amount.

I have to face off the tubed valve hole for a tubeless valve and fit a brake disc, then good to go.
        Last edited by Grimly; 07-10-2020, 04:36 PM.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
          i......... I cant do anything about it now...
          Will want an update on this story.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Have been dealing with a personal health situation myself, last 4-5 weeks (better now).
            And during that, FatherInLaw in hospital and nursing home, and back and forth. And us making trips there (150miles) doing stuff for MotherInLaw. And then his funeral.
            And on day of his burial, a terrible shocking tragedy in the family gathered there, with our nephew stepping outside and ending his life with a pistol. (Not a sight that anyone needs to know what that looks like.)
            Stayed a couple more days.

Home yesterday, and got out for about an hour and half ride.

Stopped at one of the creeks/rivers I sometimes stop at.
            Just to watch the water flow, look for fish, sometimes see muskrat or something.
            But with recent heavy rain, this creek was real muddy...... fitting.
            Was thinking what usually can see, must still be there, but different now..... fitting.
            Water running faster than usual now ..... fitting.

Strange place for a grieving session. Was there for a while.

Continued on my way.
            Further in my route a bridge was closed, so could not make a loop out of the ride, so came back the same way.

When coming up out of this valley (other direction from view of picture), at top of hill, road turns left, and more pavement comes into view,,, with some gravel/sand on the pavement right in my arc I was going, I started to steer (countersteer) harder to avoid it, but then thought I would still hit some of it, so let off on the steering to not have the steering pressure when did hit it, front did skip and slide out some and rear slid out some, but I wasnt going down, but was headed towards edge of the road, then gave more steering (countersteering) and stayed on the road.
            THinking of it later, I though i should have been more on the inside of the tire lane, not the outside of the tire lane, so am further from center of the lane were debris might be.
            Last edited by Redman; 07-11-2020, 10:15 PM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Good to see you back on the horse Dave. Be careful out there.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Have revised my posting to state something of the "family tragedy" (now that I CAN bring myself to mention it)..
                Last edited by Redman; 07-11-2020, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Take care of yourself Dave and be careful
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Sorry to hear about your family tragedies Dave. My condolences for you and your family. Hope you are doing better day to day. And yes, do be careful out on the roads with sand and gravel in the curves. Way to keep it upright. Some with less skills would have panicked.
                    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

So sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you all. It's too awful to imagine.
                      Be strong and stay together. Family can get through this. You are not alone. This seems to happen all too frequently at times of change in a family.
                      It's good that you can talk to us about it.
                      97 R1100R
                      Previous
                      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Thanks Guys.

(maybe I should have made a separate thread.)

Lets proceed with regular went-for-ride stuff.

Comment

I think organic is good here, Dave. Being able to express yourself in a thread you contribute a great deal to is the best way.

Sending you good thoughts.
                          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

It's hard to just resume talking about riding without pausing and showing support for you Dave. That is some seriously heavy stuff you guys have been going through.

So sorry to hear it. Hang in there buddy.
                            Roger

Current rides
                            1983 GS 850G
                            2003 FJR 1300A
                            Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I did get out for a while yesterday. Actually most of yesterday, as it turned out. 11 hours on the bike, three stops for gas and around 450 miles.

With temps climbing to record highs in Albuquerque, I headed up into the mountains. It was nice up there but the lower elevations between mountains was crazy hot.

Here's the route I took. You can zoom in and see some of the amazing landscape and click on the road, then click the little thumbnail pic to get a street view.

I thought I'd just ride to the Jemez mountains, but I kept going. Then decided to go to see The Valles Caldera volcano, and kept going. Los Alamos to have lunch. On through Espanola to Taos for gas. Through the hills to Angel Fire. Farther through the hills passed Eagles Nest lake through Ute Park into Cimmaron. The further North I got the cooler it got. The cloud cover, ground water and just wonderful mountain air made me want to just get lost up there.

After passing through Cimmaron it was pretty much grassy plains. I was so amazed how cool it was though. With an overcast evening and a tail wind I was enjoying the evening and the GS was just gliding along getting great fuel mileage. That 50 miles to the gallon was about to change though as I approached I-25. I passed by a deer grazing on the side of the interstate near Las Vegas and had a reality check to stay alert.

Some pics from the ride.

7-11-20 ride by Roger, on Flickr

Jemez Pueblo area by Roger, on Flickr

Valles Caldera by Roger, on Flickr

20200711_140850 by Roger, on Flickr

20200711_140341 (1) by Roger, on Flickr

20200711_174137 by Roger, on Flickr
                              Roger

Current rides
                              1983 GS 850G
                              2003 FJR 1300A
                              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Hey Roger, what's your highway speed on a tour like that?
                                "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                                1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                                1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                                1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
                                X