1981 GS850G
      1989 GL1500

Comment

Originally posted by XGMAN View Post
        Yes, great story!
        I csn always tell when a person types with all their fingers!! Hahaha
        Fred
        My wife asked me what I was typing so intensively. xD

Now I just need to get the bike washed, get a new rear tyre, and attach some of my new parts. Got the mirror dampeners, so now I can use my mirrors at high RPM. Also new clutch and brake lever (different colors annoy me endlessly). And a ton of other stuff, some related to oil leaks and some related to brake discs and some clutch springs. But most of that is winter work, can't put it out of commission just yet.

Im also going to attach paracord with tons of loops along the frame to make attachment points for the luggage stuff. It will make everything so much easier, I really lack easily accessible attachment spots.

I just love how this bike will leave me stranded at home, but when I decide to do 4000 kilometers in a week it just trots on and on and on.
        GS1000G 1981

Comment

Wow, what an inspiring ride report, Noreg.

Cold, wet, and with moth beaten eyeballs, you still found positive things to say about the journey.

Thanks for sharing.

P.S, I'll quit complaining about living in the hot dry desert now.
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Yeah NOREG that was a nice writeup.
            Longest I ever drove was a crazy 14 hour trip in november
            my knee joints still are sore.
            1983 GS 550 LD
            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

My advice, Mr. Noreg, is to go get a car. Motorcycle riding is fun, but that just sounded miserable to me.
              Current Bikes:
              2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                My advice, Mr. Noreg, is to go get a car. Motorcycle riding is fun, but that just sounded miserable to me.
                Not only miserable, but very unsafe. Why press your luck like that?
                My Motorcycles:
                22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                79 1000e (all original)
                82 850g (all original)
                80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                  I usually drive a Mercedes A180 (company car), its a fun little car, but traffic down south is truly miserable. And I didn't want to do public transport due to coronavirus. With that said I will be flying the next time (in october).

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                  Not only miserable, but very unsafe. Why press your luck like that?
                  I agree I made some mistakes planning and executing the trip, but its a very useful experience. I need some extra lights and better rain clothes and the rain covers for the boots. And I am making a better luggage solution, and in the future I will bring the goggles I use for the cross helmet as a spare if the pin lock fails me.

And like with a car I wouldn't have stopped to see the northern lights. I wouldn't have made chili at the ferry dock. Although Id have a lot better lights and been a lot warmer.

But its not like I was freezing to death, it was just cold. And at those temperatures I can just stop to heat up.

Visibility was an issue though, I'd love some inspiration to solve that.
                  GS1000G 1981

Comment

As to visibility at night: I don't know if you can get a Truck-Lite in Norway. If you have a 7" headlamp bucket, its a easy swap out for the OEM whole headlamp lens/bulb. All of us that have them here love them. $150 in the US. I looked on Amazon UK but didn't see them. Not sure where you get stuff.
                    Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Add a windscreen - One that is just lower than your eye level -
                      Blocking the wind and offering some protection will make a world of difference - he wind will go over the top and keep some of the water off the visor
                      Visibility is the greatest challenge riding in the rain - adding more lights will help --
                      get some LED running light - add them down low - they won't over task the system --
                      Staying dry is great - but warm is even more so -- Ski clothing tends to be warm and dry -
                      The truck light is game changer if you can find something like it

Currently in the Stable :
                      2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                      1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                      - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                        As to visibility at night: I don't know if you can get a Truck-Lite in Norway. If you have a 7" headlamp bucket, its a easy swap out for the OEM whole headlamp lens/bulb. All of us that have them here love them. $150 in the US. I looked on Amazon UK but didn't see them. Not sure where you get stuff.
                        So I keep the bucket? The aesthetics is fairly important to me. I could get it for about $300 from amazon... Or maybe I can go pick one up in the US, could use some brisket and margaritas.

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post

Add a windscreen - One that is just lower than your eye level -
                        Blocking the wind and offering some protection will make a world of difference - he wind will go over the top and keep some of the water off the visor
                        Visibility is the greatest challenge riding in the rain - adding more lights will help --
                        get some LED running light - add them down low - they won't over task the system --
                        Staying dry is great - but warm is even more so -- Ski clothing tends to be warm and dry -
                        The truck light is game changer if you can find something like it

Not sure if I mind the wind all that much. Apart from side wind.

There is a lot of led options and stuff. I could throw some LEDs on the engine guard bars, or get a new headlight bucket.

I used snowboard clothes outside my riding clothes. They are decently warm if they aren't soaked.

Truck Lite was hard to source cheap, but I will look around.
                        GS1000G 1981

Comment

My GS850GL with the TruckLite and 2" square aux lights mounted on the crash bars - 10W LEDs cast a lot of light forward and low

<strong>
                          Currently in the Stable :
                          2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                          1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                          - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

If you have a 7” bucket, then you can use it with the Truck-Lite.

measure your bucket

Truck-Lite uses your adjustment ring and outer Chrome ring. The light does protrude in front of the chrome ring a bit.

Rich
                            1982 GS 750TZ
                            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post

Visibility was an issue though, I'd love some inspiration to solve that.

Surely someone makes a heated visor?
                              How many hours did you sleep post trip? Was your core body temp low? Were you shivering in your bed?

Your trip did not sound dangerous just really needlessly hard.
                              I had a dry rider rainsuit one and it was amazingly waterproof over a long haul.
                              Had a garish Hondaline suit that was ok but once water trickled in you got slowly soaked.
                              1983 GS 550 LD
                              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                                Surely someone makes a heated visor?
                                How many hours did you sleep post trip? Was your core body temp low? Were you shivering in your bed?

Your trip did not sound dangerous just really needlessly hard.
                                I had a dry rider rainsuit one and it was amazingly waterproof over a long haul.
                                Had a garish Hondaline suit that was ok but once water trickled in you got slowly soaked.
                                I have not looked into it. Like heated grips, gloves, jackets and saddles I am not yet sold on the idea.

I woke up 7:45 am to go to work at 8:30, so I slept around 5 hours, maybe 4. Honestly this isn't the coldest I've been after a ride this year, it felt like surface cold, not like cold throughout. But an hour on the ferry in dry clothes and the hour before the ferry made me get my warmth back, and the warm food did wonders. The 90 minutes back home, albeit with a lot less clothes were comparatively warm (slightly warmer air temperature and no proper rain). Those temperatures isn't too hard, its uncomfortable while moving, but doesn't last. 4c or 40f and bellow is when it gets proper cold when I'm reasonably dry. Bellow 2c or 35f its pretty miserable temperature wise, in the early season I had to stop every 45 minutes - hour to get my hands warm again, and that was even with the hippo hands (who are brilliant for both rain and cold).

No shivering, I slept amazingly.

Was it a one piece suit? I think two piece is bad. Its fine for 2-3 hours and then it progressively gets wetter. And somehow mine doesn't keep my groin dry. The collar of the jacket isn't high enough. I saw a Richa suit that looked good for the rain, but annoyingly it has no reflective details. When in low visibility I want to be seen. Preferably with the same reflective details as they have on other clothes, so its more easy for drivers to recognize.

I found some Lazer ST4 EVO LED lights for like $300 each, if I can figure out how to attach them under the engine gards (so I can rest my feet on top of them) I might just get two of them. If I manage to mount them so I can easilly remove them when they aren't needed that would be even better, most of the season here it isn't dark.
                                GS1000G 1981

Comment

Working...
                                X