anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redman View Post
    Hey ! Mid 60s today ! (Friday) Fairly clear and calm, what would call a nice spring day.

Got out for 2 1/2 hour ride this afternoon. (But that included stopping for the 2 chili dog special.)

A pic in my typical pose

And stopped elsewhere for an alternate style pose (maybe more to the liking of some people cough-Bob-cough)

No big story to tell, other than I greatly enjoyed the time out with the GK.
    (And I got home before my gut revolted.)

Also Had an evening ride too, (but any pics there would be a lot like yesterdays posting).

>>later note
    I am really loving the GK.
    Riding the last couple days has been a great experience.
    Great wind protection, nice wide handlebars for good easy control, great ergonomics, just lean and with the wide bars it countersteers without even realize that is what is happening, low seat height (all as compared to typical sporttourer ahem-RT-ahem).
    I will want to have this bike for as long as I can get a leg over and hold up a bike. I say that now.
    But I suspect that next time I have to work on it; I could change my mind.
    Glad to see the GK out and about! I'm hoping to start commuting on my GS this week. It's been raining so much and chilly in the morning, not quite riding time. But weather this week is looking promising.
    - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
    - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

7-20 minutes sessions at the Ridge today. Damp 1st session, all the rest dry.
      Tried the new Dunlop Q5's & they were outstanding! Couple red flags in other groups & one ambulance.

4th place Daytona super hooligans rider Mark Price was out railing around & I guess he's considered local.
      Sold his former Triumph 675 to a buddy of mine. 2 buddies actually.
      GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Norm, why isn't this bike in your signature? Not ashamed of it are you?
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
          Norm, why isn't this bike in your signature? Not ashamed of it are you?
          ? Signature? Do we even have signatures anymore? I don't see where I would put it...
          Ashamed of one of the world's finest touring motorcycles? I don't think so!
          My Motorcycles:
          22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
          22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
          82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
          81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
          79 1000e (all original)
          82 850g (all original)
          80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post

? Signature? Do we even have signatures anymore? I don't see where I would put it...
            Yes, but they got hidden when the forum went to this new format. You have to unhide them somehow, I don't recall how.
            - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post

Norm, just yanking your chain here.
              To edit your sig. Go to your account settings and click on "Account", scroll down to conversation detail options then click on edit post signature it should be highlighted.

Hope this helps.

Your Uncle Larr
              Larry

'79 GS 1000E
              '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
              '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
              '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
              '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

it's there, you just can't see it. Go to your user profile, Edit Settings, Account tab and make sure these things are checked. And you also have to be looking at the forum as POSTS, and not LATEST ACTIVITY. Sigs don't show up when viewed in LATEST ACTIVITY.

To view POSTS on PC:

To view POSTS on Mobile:

Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Well, well... look who's finally out of the garage! Only been since September since this one's been on the road.

IMG_3759.jpg
                  2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
                  2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

The weather in my area of MI has finally warmed up and seems to be staying that way, so I've been commuting on the 850L. I put about 300 miles on it last week.

I've set a goal for myself, to ride my 850 5,000 miles this season before putting it away for the winter. This may not seem like much to those who are seasoned riders, but it's difficult for me to put miles on the bike with a young family and all the things going on. But I figure if I can commute most days on the bike as weather allows, and can squeeze in a couple day trips on weekends, I should be able to hit 5,000 miles. Last year I rode about 2,000 miles which was substantially more than I've ridden any other year. I usually ride into the winter which gives me some extra time as well. I'm gonna need a new rear tire soon if I make this happen!

Comment

So the last few day I put over 500 miles on the GS1000G. I did need to do the clutch right off the bat. Guess the springs were tired! I lost a Cam cap cover, I ordered more and plan to start collecting them as I tend to loose those darn things from time to time. She's running as well as she looks, beautiful. She get's allot of attention. It's not the fastest bike in the stable but it's such a dream to ride and I can ride it for a LONG time!!! No regrets in swapping the 550E for this 1000G it's a cream puff.

Those stock springs shrank a bit over the years. The replacement spring are TOUGH Clutch grips awesome but my left forearm is going to be HUGE by the end of the season.

Cheers!
                      Jedz Moto
                      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                      1988 Honda GL1500-6
                      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                      2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                      Originally posted by Hayabuser
                      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
                        The weather in my area of MI has finally warmed up and seems to be staying that way, so I've been commuting on the 850L. I put about 300 miles on it last week.

I've set a goal for myself, to ride my 850 5,000 miles this season before putting it away for the winter. This may not seem like much to those who are seasoned riders, but it's difficult for me to put miles on the bike with a young family and all the things going on. But I figure if I can commute most days on the bike as weather allows, and can squeeze in a couple day trips on weekends, I should be able to hit 5,000 miles. Last year I rode about 2,000 miles which was substantially more than I've ridden any other year. I usually ride into the winter which gives me some extra time as well. I'm gonna need a new rear tire soon if I make this happen!
                        I hear you. I rode 32K miles the year before my daughter was born and was only able to ride 11K miles last year after she was born. This year though I'm already on track for back to my average of 20K miles (hopefully) a few very big MC weekends of +3000 miles will help... Getting daycare lined up 4 days and Grammy visits on Monday evenings (after child care) means I can ride to and from work. Grab the cage and pick her up after. Cheers and good luck!
                        Jedz Moto
                        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                        1988 Honda GL1500-6
                        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                          So the last few day I put over 500 miles on the GS1000G. I did need to do the clutch right off the bat. Guess the springs were tired! I lost a Cam cap cover, I ordered more and plan to start collecting them as I tend to loose those darn things from time to time. She's running as well as she looks, beautiful. She get's allot of attention. It's not the fastest bike in the stable but it's such a dream to ride and I can ride it for a LONG time!!! No regrets in swapping the 550E for this 1000G it's a cream puff.

Those stock springs shrank a bit over the years. The replacement spring are TOUGH Clutch grips awesome but my left forearm is going to be HUGE by the end of the season.

Cheers!

FWIW, those aftermarket springs are ridiculously heavy...

A fresh set of stock springs retains the light clutch pull without slipping. Some folks have also used three stock springs and three aftermarket springs.

And yup, Suzuki got the ergos, seats, and frame geometry so amazingly perfect on the G shafties. The original handlebars were the only flaw, but that's easily fixed.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

FWIW, those aftermarket springs are ridiculously heavy...

A fresh set of stock springs retains the light clutch pull without slipping. Some folks have also used three stock springs and three aftermarket springs.

And yup, Suzuki got the ergos, seats, and frame geometry so amazingly perfect on the G shafties. The original handlebars were the only flaw, but that's easily fixed.
                            Where can I get stock springs, just an OEM supplier? If I could lighten the clutch pull some that would be nice. I did fine just blip shifting most of the day and coming up to intersections, not getting stuck in traffic in my neck of the woods where I would use the clutch allot. It's manageable as is.

FYI Edit- Found them at Z1 eterprises.

The Handlebars that came with it were drag bars as the PO was planning to "cafe" it. I put a nice set of Pro-Taper ADV bars on it and boy that was perfect for reach, comfort and control. The thing is a rocket with in the turns even with the sub par tires that are on there now. The tires are in good shape and compound is still soft but they are miss-matched Kenda and IRC. I had the tires in stock so I just ran them, next go round I'll look into something a little nicer, maybe even some radials.

Thanks Brian!

Chers,
                            Last edited by Jedz123; 05-16-2023, 09:19 AM.
                            Jedz Moto
                            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                            1988 Honda GL1500-6
                            2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Z1 seems to sell EBC springs, not Suzuki OEM...? I couldn't tell you whether EBC springs specifically have the same problem with being way too strong; I don't remember the brands of the ones I've seen.

OEM springs are only $4.23 each at my usual bits dealer... they're used on tons of different Suzuki models.
                              Last edited by bwringer; 05-16-2023, 10:15 AM.
                              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

There were two options Standard springs and 15% stronger than stock as options for purchase. they were $10 for the "standard" so i grabbed a set and I'll let you know!
                                Thank you for this link though! If I find these new springs are still too tough I'm just going to get these OEM ones.

THANK YOU!
                                Jedz Moto
                                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                                2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Working...
                                X