anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redman View Post
    I suggest you ride TOWARD San Diego, but divert off at 79 in Temecula, (and maybe Pala Temecula Rd to 76 for more direct route) to Palomar.

If you get as far south as Esconditio, then Need to get a few miles from I-15 before urban/suburban multilane gives way to 2 lane roads.
    If you get closer to Sand Diego, then need to get 15-20 from I-15.

Riding IN San Diego will be as much fun as riding in LA.

Look for map on web site for BMW Owners Club of San Diego.

I will definitely have to look into that, should be within day trip striking distance, it'll just be a 400-500 day trip! I hear you on not riding in SD, or LA, or any other city really. Just no where near as fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Hayabuser View Post
      Although the constant rain is a bit dreary this winter, it could be worse... much worse.

Yup, that is about what it is here. But 45F expected by Tues.

Comment

Sunrize Highway at over 5000 ft elevation.
        I passed two snowplows pushing back the snow on side of the road. First time I ever done that on mocykle.
        Was about 60 degrees up there (mid 80s in San Diego).

Not able to get pictures of the best places, sharp curves going around side of mountain, rocks on one side and nothing on other side other than view of the valley and next mountain.
        (I know, are bigger mountains other places.)

Also did not get any pictures of 5 and 6 lane highways with 3 levels of overpasses to get back into town.

I thought your BMW was DOA awhile back?

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
          I thought your BMW was DOA awhile back?
          Yes, you recall correctly.
          Last February it stripped out the transmission input shaft splines and mating splines on clutch hub.
          First repair estimate from dealer was about 95% the value of the bike.
          THis is a somewhat common failure for the 1st (2002) and 2nd year of the 1150s (all models) , so most parts bikes are parts bike because of this failure, so good salvage parts for this failure are quite difficult to find.
          I could yack about the various theories about the cause of this common failure (BMW never made any statements other than to cover if happened under warrantee) ... but need not discuss that here.
          I almost sold the bike to a salvage dealer for $400.
          But then did find good salvage parts (with help/advise from two BMW forums) and was able to get bike repaired for about 40% value of the bike.

Short version of the story is: yah, I needed a special tool to get it repaired, and that special tool was my credit card. ANd I abused my credit card pretty well.

Deciding if to ride it home this summer or next summer. Am leaning toward next year.

But then again, there is a big problem with this idea of having a bike in San Diego to ride when I visit them there.
          And that problem is: I am not there.
          Last edited by Redman; 02-14-2016, 03:08 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

You could have put $400 towards a good bike?
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Yes, you recall correctly.
              Last February it stripped out the transmission input shaft splines and mating splines on clutch hub.
              First repair estimate from dealer was about 95% the value of the bike.
              THis is a somewhat common failure for the 1st (2002) and 2nd year of the 1150s (all models) , so most parts bikes are parts bike because of this failure, so good salvage parts for this failure are quite difficult to find.
              I could yack about the various theories about the cause of this common failure (BMW never made any statements other than to cover if happened under warrantee) ... but need not discuss that here.
              I almost sold the bike to a salvage dealer for $400.
              But then did find good salvage parts (with help/advise from two BMW forums) and was able to get bike repaired for about 40% value of the bike.

Short version of the story is: yah, I needed a special tool to get it repaired, and that special tool was my credit card. ANd I abused my credit card pretty well.

Deciding if to ride it home this summer or next summer. Am leaning toward next year.

But then again, there is a big problem with this idea of having a bike in San Diego to ride when I visit them there.
              And that problem is: I am not there.

I am sure you have thought of it already, but what about renting a bike for the S.D. visits?
              Larry

'79 GS 1000E
              '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
              '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
              '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
              '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                [/B][/I]

I am sure you have thought of it already, but what about renting a bike for the S.D. visits?
                Renting seems logical and reasonable, now, after spending the money for the repairs and new battery.

But a year and a half ago, it seemed logical and reasonable to purchase a bike there to use for 2 or 3 visits a year over the 2 or 3 years we would be visiting. And my s-I-l could use it on occasion, and my son could use it when he visits.
                If I were to rent would probably only be for 1 or 2 or 3 days per visit, and with purchase would have for entire visit.
                Seemed logical and reasonable to purchase at the time, but really was just excuses, .... nothing really logical and reasonable when dealing with passionate hobby-sport interest (as dpep often says). Real easy to convince ones self about anything.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Took the Kat for a spin yesterday. 86 deg passing thru Salinas on the 101.
                  Normally that'd be 'great' ... but you'd really have to have your head shoved way up your griffin, not to understand that coupla hundred years of industrial revolution just. might. not. end well.
                  Sure was a nice day.
                  1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

What do you do if the roads aren't safe for motorcycling and the snow not deep enough for snowmobiling? Take the 4 wheeler out and have fun in the sun. I didn't need the electric winch today although sometimes in the woods it bails me out. It's only a 250cc but in first gear and with 4wd, it will tackle most terrain even with up to 6" of snow cover...and with my trailer it earns a living by hauling my firewood out in the spring and deer out in the fall on the racks.

Last edited by Guest; 02-18-2016, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Steve, looks like just the thing to bring to Vermont this fall. I'll trade rides on the DR.
                      Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                      2000 Kawasaki Concours
                      Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Couple hours and a tad over 100 miles on the Connie today... ABS does come in handy.

Also blasted out 10 miles on the VTX on the back roads before my cool trek... LOL no lights, but it's ok living in a rural area has it's perks.
                        Jedz Moto
                        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                        1988 Honda GL1500-6
                        2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                        2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                        Originally posted by Hayabuser
                        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Still can't get Connie out of the barn. Not from lack of wanting but too much snow.
                          The DR will jump out all day but have to be above freezing for me. Way too much ice on my "gravel" drive.
                          Doesn't look like you got much snow or it's all gone. Quite the change from when we lived in Pittsford in 00-04
                          Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                          2000 Kawasaki Concours
                          Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Doug it's been a horrible winter over here... I'm in charge of the College's POS systems and sales tracking for all retail dining locations which includes our off campus units. We have a ski resort on the top of 125 in Bethel (Snow Bowl) and it is down nearly 50% in sales vs last year. We get snow, then it rains... Then it gets cold... And thats the cycle. Be thankful you have some snow your way, our winter is really hurting the economy...

So we still crashing your place at some point next year??? Would I live to hit the Kanc first thing in the AM .
                            Jedz Moto
                            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                            1988 Honda GL1500-6
                            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                            2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                            Originally posted by Hayabuser
                            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Back to the bike today. The last ride on the SV650 before it goes off to a new home. What next?

Comment

All this talk of 650 big bore kits had me drooling. Had to take the 650 out for a spring like romp. It was 60° today. 3 days ago it was 2°
                                Hammered it down on some country roads. Took off hard from a stop sign and the tire broke loose on some wet asphalt in second....it's ok when you see the wet spot but not when it's a surprise. Lol
                                Damn I really love the 650.

Comment

Working...
                                X