No announcement yet.

Looks like my riding days are done.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was visiting the "Traveling Picnic" this summer, I had a peak into my future. You see, the older guys 65-80+ were all riding Gold Wing trikes. These guys and there wives traveled all over. Some putting on 30,000+ miles in a year. I know this is a little off topic from the original post... As far as the original post; If you don't feel it, you don't feel it. Like Bowling, I don't like Bowling. But I'm sure there's someone out there that loves Bowling and thinks I'm crazy for not liking it. Do whatever makes you happy ☺
    My Motorcycles:
    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Do something else for a while, come back to it if you feel like it. I am starting to figure out my reflexes and thought process isn't as sharp as it once was. I think at some point it will be unsafe for me to ride, but until then I continue on. Going to thin the herd down to 2 or 3 bikes though.... Stay in touch!
      sigpic
      09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
      1983 GS1100e
      82\83 1100e Frankenbike
      1980 GS1260
      Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Recreational riding is about passion, so if the passion fades... I guess it time to take a break. Good you have a back up plan.
        I've enjoyed you gs projects you've shared with us.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Hey Greg, sorry to hear you are thinking about giving up bikes, what if I told you the GS650E is for sale cheap would that change your mind?

OK just kidding, just checking to see if you are paying attention.

Good luck and remember, you are welcome to hang around here.

David,
          2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
          2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
          1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
          2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
          1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
          1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
          1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
          Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Cheers Greg, do what is right for you.
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g
            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Thanks guys.I have had the identity of motorcycle rider for a good long time now.I'd thought it would last till I drew my last breath to.It may still be there to reemerge or not,only time will tell.I'm coming up quickly on 59 but feel little pressure to quit for being to old.Right now I am quite engrossed in getting our 02 Kia Magentis fixed up http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?248101-Got-a-car!&highlight= The friend I'm giving the EF to isn't surprised because ALL I talk about is Madge,yes this one got a nameThe recent shoulder injury is doing really quite well,it bothers at times and will the rest of my life.It's not really a factor.Haven't done anything with the 1000 in months and looking at the 750 gets me down.David I wouldn't take the 650 right now even for free!You have done a REALLY nice job bringing it back to life.I know myself well to know this may pass to that's why I'm keeping the GPz. Kind of feel odd keeping the Kawi but what the hell.

Comment

There are some options that you might consider at some point.
                A senior citizen friend can’t ride anymore because of his medications — he added a side car & its working out fine for him.
                Some seniors “graduate” to trikes, Spyders or scooters.

Another “senior” option I’ve seen on the roads is a Stallion. It has a small Ford car engine, a steering wheel & AC/heat.

Good luck with whatever path you take.

Comment

I think Greg said it wasn't an age related decision.
                  "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

59 .. ! 59 is not OLD !
                    If you think 59 is old -- wow -- I am 58 and I am planning trips for the next 10 years .
                    Get some more exercise into your lifestyle- you will feel great -
                    While one wouldn't think it to look at me (6' tall and 300#) I DO go to the gym a few times per week.
                    I walk the treadmill for a few miles - then lift some weights -
                    I am still pretty strong and feel pretty good -- (Thank you God) -

Please do not think 59 is old.

And the Traveling Picnic Trikes were a collection of 70-90 year olds...
                    One of those guys is 90 and has worn out (WORN OUT !) 3 Goldwings at over 300,000 miles per each in the past 10 years !

Of course it is your decision - and I wish you well with that choice.
                    Currently in the Stable :
                    2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                    1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                    - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                      I have been thinking it might be time to hang up the gear for a bit.Yesterday I decided the passion is gone.Have given the 85 750EF to my friend and will sell the 78 1000.I will be tinkering at the GPz but it's on the back burner.It has been a hard decision but it feels right.Will still check in but not as much.Been a great deal of fun and I still love this place.Keeping the GPz for now is my out if I change my mind
                      Wow SVS,

That is kinda sad to hear but then again, I have not worked on my bike like I planned this summer because I have been preoccupied with other things.

Not sure what specifically made you come to this conclusion but it's all for your sake.

Don't listen to Rick about hanging out in the Vortex. That place can be toxic...and "ain't nobody got time for that!"

Let us know what you decide to do. I like how everyone is providing feedback...all good too!

Ed
                      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I don't believe this is an age thing.
                        The fire goes out, the fire goes out.
                        Should what you do define who you are.
                        You own the bike or the bike owns you ?
                        I once heard a 97 year old man tell his family, under pressure from great grandchildren, that his one great regret was that at 75 he failed to realise that he was still a young man
                        97 R1100R
                        Previous
                        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I never said 59 is old,was asked so I answered.Not age related decision at all as I'm in good health generally.Just got a bunch of new gear to as I was not expecting this to happen.SWMBO has told me I am keeping the 1000 till spring,if I still feel the same it to will be sold.Like I said time will tell.

Comment

I started back on bikes at 54 after an almost 40 year hiatus. It's never age, its mindset. Losing passion for something is common, natural. As long as there is some activity, hobby or full time occupation that you look forward to, enjoy doing, maybe just for today, thats what makes life worth living. There's nothing to feel sad about here. SVS is self aware, and living his life as his heart guides him. Losing passion for something is normal. It's when we lose passion for everything​, thats when you should start worrying.
                            PB
                            Central Jersey
                            82' Suzuki GS750T

"Old school is the best school"

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post

59 .. ! 59 is not OLD !
                              If you think 59 is old -- wow -- I am 58 and I am planning trips for the next 10 years .
                              Get some more exercise into your lifestyle- you will feel great -
                              While one wouldn't think it to look at me (6' tall and 300#) I DO go to the gym a few times per week.
                              I walk the treadmill for a few miles - then lift some weights -
                              I am still pretty strong and feel pretty good -- (Thank you God) -

Please do not think 59 is old.

And the Traveling Picnic Trikes were a collection of 70-90 year olds...
                              One of those guys is 90 and has worn out (WORN OUT !) 3 Goldwings at over 300,000 miles per each in the past 10 years !

Of course it is your decision - and I wish you well with that choice.
                              +1 on this. Just turned 59 and I'm hitting the gym with my son sometimes twice a day. I have aggressive goals for weight and body fat after losing ground last year due to an injury. Never give up. Never give in.

Intended to encourage, not judge. Do what makes you happy.
                              sigpic
                              1983 GS1100ES (Bought July 2014)
                              1983 GS1100E (Bought July 2014)
                              1985 GS700ES (Bought June 2015) Sold
                              On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand
                              All Other Ground is Sinking Sand

Comment

Good on you for knowing when to call it a day. Maybe you'll rekindle the want somewhere down the road to ride again, maybe not. Sounds like you got a lot of good times from the rides and the friends you met here. It also sounds like you have another passion in the car you're working on. I will be 57 shortly and this is my second run at owning and riding bikes. First time was when I was twenty, rode across Canada on my GS550T and got ride of her when I was twenty-eight when I decided to be more responsible and get into a house. This second time around was. Whe I turned fifty when I got a Shadow, and then foound a few GS550T'a and L's and have riden little and wrenched a lot and learned a ton.. it has been a very good hobby. I have to say I enjoy restoration more than riding. I will likely follow your lead in a year, stop riding and move on to wrench on a deam car from my younger days ...

glad you posted this as the comments have been very supportive and given me something to consider. Al the best with the Kia!
                                GS550T 1981
                                GS850G 1983
                                GS650G 1982
                                GS650G 1982 Under Restoration 😳🏍👍

Comment

Working...
                                X