No announcement yet.

Looks like my riding days are done.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will have to admit that I have thought about having to hang it up some day. I used to ride to all the events but the last one was a little hard on me after three days riding. I picked up a '88 4runner to rebuild the V6 and trailer my bike to the out of state events. Two passions now, the GS and old Toyota's. I haven't had one since I flipped my old '85 MKII Supra in an encounter with black ice.
    '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
      The friend I gave my 85 750 to got a relocation offer and moved to Toronto.He gave me my bike back.It sadly looks like an anchor to me now.
      Yes, the "anchor" comment is kind of sad. But change is a part of life. My '79 GS1000E is still as clean as ever but riding it doesn't put a smile on my face anymore. I don't ride my ZX14 as much either. Maybe I'll snap out of it.
      Glad you've found another interest. I hope it brings you a lot of pleasure.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
        Yes, the "anchor" comment is kind of sad. But change is a part of life. My '79 GS1000E is still as clean as ever but riding it doesn't put a smile on my face anymore. I don't ride my ZX14 as much either. Maybe I'll snap out of it.
        Glad you've found another interest. I hope it brings you a lot of pleasure.
        I know what you mean. I don't put 20 to 30 K miles on a bike every year anymore either.
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Me, either. I haven't put more than about 8,000 miles a year on a bike since I divorced.

Huh ...
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

This is sad news to me. I'm turning 67 in two weeks and spend many happy hours riding during the season around here. My riding has changed over the years. No more 700 lb bikes since my hand injury but I'm still out and about. Pretty much stay on back country roads doing 50 mph and avoiding city traffic. I'm down to my 79 GS425, an 01 Bonneville and a 96 Shadow ACE bagger now. I can imagine that someday I'll give it up but it will crush my soul to think of it. All the places I've been and all the folks I've met along the way are a huge part of who I am today. I can't imagine what my Life would have looked like without motorcycles!
            Good Luck, Stay Healthy, we can negotiate the rest!

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
              Me, either. I haven't put more than about 8,000 miles a year on a bike since I divorced.

Huh ...
              Past few years, I'm averaging about 12-13K miles. My time in the saddle may be close to what it used to be however. I no longer feel the need to ride 90 mph everywhere. LOL

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Earl, that's dead on: I seldom exceed 100 for quick blasts, and am happy just to be out riding. I hope to have the 900 done this winter, but I've been looking at a few other beasts, none of which I choose because they are wild or crazy fast.
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                  Earl, that's dead on: I seldom exceed 100 for quick blasts, and am happy just to be out riding. I hope to have the 900 done this winter, but I've been looking at a few other beasts, none of which I choose because they are wild or crazy fast.

What I look for is low to mid range acceleration. I seldom used anything in the plus 100 range anyhow. The B12 is lightly modded and 115 hp. Acceleration from zero to 100 is sufficient. LOL It's funny how perspective changes. I used to get a kick out of stomping the Rickey racer, fart can, exono box, hot dogs. Now days, I just find them annoying, rev it up a bit, watch them take off, and laugh.

As for the new UJM's, I like the looks of the Honda CB1100, but it has no go. My B12 would eat it in a heartbeat.
                  Last edited by earlfor; 12-12-2017, 01:47 PM.

Comment

I don't mind the CB1100 at all. It is adequate for my needs these days.
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

As far as riding goes, the other day I was wondering what I might do in the "near" future. I too, am starting to favor slowing down and just enjoying the ride. I admit to not enjoying the maintenance anymore, though my GS and ZX14 have been as trustworthy as anyone could ask for. I'm beginning to realize that even though I have a bike that can go 190.....I don't really care anymore. I just want to ride and soak it all in now, while I can. That means I need to simplify and make a tough decision.
                      What I can see happening is keeping my ZX another 4-5 years and probably the GS too. By 66 years old I think I'll be done with the aggressive riding position and the ZX will be 15 years old. The GS will be 43 and probably sick and tired of short trips around town. I'll just have to force myself to part with them. I would then like to get a new, nice, reliable bike, that looks good and has decent ergo's. If I rode it about 10 years, that would put me at 75 or 76 and that seems like a good age to hang 'em up.
                      To keep riding, I just started looking at the Honda 800 Interceptor. I realize another bike may come up in the next 4-5 years but for now I think I'd like the Honda. Never owned a Honda. I haven't seen anything from Suzuki or Yamaha I like. Kawasaki has a new Z900 base model that looks like a bargain in the class of bike I'm considering but it still looks like something from Transformers and the ergo's look suspect. The Interceptor appears to be very refined over the years and the full bodywork looks nice. I know nothing about the V4 engine except it makes a lot of torque and still has good higher rpm power. It seems like it would be perfect for all around riding and it should be reliable. I haven't sat on one but the ergo's look like they would be better than many other bikes in it's class. The seat height (2015 model) is only 31" in the low position, assuming they still offer that. I even like the single sided swing arm, though I've always wondered if there are any long term issues with that design.
                      One thing I don't understand from Honda, they show the 2015 as the most recent model on their website. From what I understand, Honda stopped making the Interceptor for 5 years but is back for 2018?? From what I've read, it was over priced (in the BMW/Ducati range) and models just sat in the showroom. Kind of confusing. At least I'm not planning on one right now but I would like to know if the price is going to be fair. If I get to see one in person and it feels right, I may even push up my timetable a little.
                      Anyone have something to say about the Interceptor's in general?
                      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

The 800 interceptor before the VVT was a sweet bike, and after that, it was a nice but less sweet bike until they sorted it out. Overall, there are few more versatile or capable bikes on the road. I've looked at them off and on since I sold my VF1000R, but each time was taken by some other machine's interesting aspects.

This is a nice overview:

Last edited by GS1150Pilot; 12-13-2017, 09:07 AM.
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

Thanks. Good reading. Only one thing I don't understand in the MCN write up... they say the VF's valve train was a disaster because of the chain driven cams, among other issues. The change to gear driven cams instead of chain driven cams greatly improved reliability and led to the "R" in VFR. The most recent reviews I've found (2014 model) say the VTEC system uses chain driven cams. So I'm seeing a contradiction there.
                          From what I've read about the 2014, it's a solid bike that cannot be appreciated until you've owned it awhile. It's history really is interesting and I'm trying to appreciate it. The price seems too high to justify, $13,500 for the "deluxe" model, $12,500 for the base model that everyone is saying not to buy and that's a 2014 price. It has nearly the weakest HP and torque numbers in it's class. But somehow, I get the idea you'll end up happy with it. Reliability is supposed to be as good as it gets and it seems to be made for riders 6' and under. Like a perfect fit for someone getting older and it will probably be their last bike.

Comment

When I had my FZ1, one of the guys I rode with had an 800 Interceptor. He loved that thing, and it was a sweet machine.
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                            X