Looks like my riding days are done.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You should keep the GPz.

Years ago I had 3 bikes. Then life got busy & I lost interest. They were sold off one at a time & were gone by about 10 years ago.
    Hadn’t ridden for years, and then out of nowhere I ended up deciding to buy a new Triumph Bonneville.
    Now I have a collection that includes the three models that I used to have.

Comment

I plan to finish the GPz in time.Right now I'm not sure about riding much if at all.Seems like my life is in flux right now.Never been a fan of automatic cars,was a manual guy all the time.The Kia is the first automatic I enjoy driving.If the passion comes back great,if not I'm fine with that to.My wife worries I will regret this decision like it's not reversible.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post

Don't listen to Rick about hanging out in the Vortex. That place can be toxic...and "ain't nobody got time for that!"

Ed
        Party pooper.
        GSRick
        No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
        Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

It's not an all or nothing thing. There is nothing wrong with having a bike even though you don't ride regularly. As a long time rider it's likely that you will get the itch in the future and that's okay. Keeping the GPz around is smart in case you get interested in tinkering...and after that first ride, you may find yourself interested in riding regularly again.

Personally, I don't ride much anymore, mostly because of the urban environment I'm in creates too much risk on the roads. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy bikes though. I only take out my bike every other week or so these days but when I do, it's just pure fun.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

If the fire is gone, I understand. I've stopped doing many things I once enjoyed. That being said, the GPZ sitting in the back corner is like like my old GS that sat for 30 years in a corner, only being moved to make room or move. I worked in a motorcycle dealership for over 20 years and when I changed careers, I was burnt out on bikes. It was a job. 2 years later, they still had my demo. I bought it and haven't stopped riding and modding since. Keep the GPZ. Fire is not gone, its smoldering. One day, something will click, you will get a little sheet eating grin on your face and the next thing you know, you be on a GPZ forum looking for tips on firing up a aging Kawasaki.
            Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
            Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
            Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Thanks for sharing.
              I too, have thought about quitting riding. It really feels like a life decision. I don't think age has that much to do with it, though health issues generally worsen with age. One day it just kind of hits you.
              Like you, it's hard for me to imagine life without a bike. In my case, for the first time I feel I'm putting more into my two bikes ('79 GS1000E, 2007 ZX14) than I'm getting back. I don't enjoy maintaining them anymore. Parts, as always, are a rip-off and I've always disliked being taken advantage of.
              I recently retired and moved to Utah. I thought I was going to ride myself into the ground. It's been almost the opposite. Very hard to understand what's happened. I'm still trying to make up my mind.
              My .02 worth is to say keep one bike for now. Start it up once a week and exercise the brakes, suspension, buttons, etc, and maybe take it down the street a few times. Keep Sta-bil in the gas so the gas doesn't gum up the carbs. If you change your mind about quitting riding then the bike will be ready to go.
              We will all have to face the decision at some point. Many of us won't know how to quit and will face a bad ending, such as crashing and not being able to heal well. When your heart tells you one thing and your head tells you something else, it's tough.
              Again, thanks for sharing your thoughts.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

This thread has tended toward the moribund ...

"Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by Boriqua View Post
                  I have voluntarily and involuntarily quit Motorcycling a few times. When my Daughter was born I swore of em. I thought how responsible am I to do something that is life threatening when I have a wee bitty one to look after. I have been riding road bikes since about 16.

It lasted 2 years and change and every spring I would hear the bikes here and there and I was miserable. Bought another. DR650 that HATED cold but I got my daughter involved ASAP

I was miserable without a bike and there is a whole lot of life threatening activities we do everyday sooooo

Lost my med insurance and gave it up for a bit .. couldnt stick to it
                  Recently I gave up my good paying career and decided out of the rat race and cut everything I thought was extraneous from my budget and one of the things to go was my bike.. then a Triumph Bonnie. Was almost five years ago and just recently bought the GS 750.

I have tried to walk away ... honestly ... I just cant. I am so happy cruising along. Now that I am older and the desire to push the limits is pretty much quelled and I can happily tot around at 45 and just enjoy the sound I swear I think I enjoy more than ever.

Long story all to say ... Sometimes ya need to get away from something .... but I think it is SMART as hell to just keep one around ... you know .. just in case!!

I kept my DR (rode it today) and just realized that it now qualifies for a collectors/historic plate...just doesn't seem that long ago...

IMG_0535.jpg

Comment

The longer it gets into my decision the more it feels like I am done with motorcycles.Please don't feel sad for me it seems another interest has taken it's place.I have had a interest in knifes and knife making for quite a while and it's risen to the top now.While I would love to have the stuff to actually make my own blades that's probably not going to happen.I doubt my bum shoulder could take it.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                      The longer it gets into my decision the more it feels like I am done with motorcycles.Please don't feel sad for me it seems another interest has taken it's place.I have had a interest in knifes and knife making for quite a while and it's risen to the top now.While I would love to have the stuff to actually make my own blades that's probably not going to happen.I doubt my bum shoulder could take it.
                      I can dig that. I had a few handguns for a number of years. No I am not some crazy but they all had their own personality and the wife and I for years have enjoyed going to the range a couple of times a month to put holes in paper. I just sold off two of them to pay for parts for my new obsession .. my gs750. Priorities change.

I wouldnt give up on the knife making .. I think a good grinder can run about $1200. Expensive but not out of this world. My thing was leatherwork and I turned my hobby into a enough bucks to pay some bills and buy some toys doing something I enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                        Party pooper.
                        I know your comment was made a few months ago, but I am just now reading this thread and have to comment: it's not much of a "party" when there's poop all around.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Glad that you’ve found another passion to occupy your time. These things often go in cycles. Years ago I was big time into antique radios. I recently considered selling the whole lot after not touching any of it for an extended time. Now that it’s cold in garage I’ve been in the basement a bit and taking another look at them...
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                          -Rusty old scooter.
                          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

70 and still riding with no intentions of giving it up. I may end up getting a lighter bike some day but for now the '78 GS1000E still works for me.
                            '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
                              70 and still riding with no intentions of giving it up. I may end up getting a lighter bike some day but for now the '78 GS1000E still works for me.
                              Nor should you.I am doing what is right for me.Must say I never thought the day would come either then it did.Just going with the flow.
                              The friend I gave my 85 750 to got a relocation offer and moved to Toronto.He gave me my bike back.It sadly looks like an anchor to me now.

Comment

I will be turning 67 in a few months. Last year got a surprise that my Pancreas gave up the ghost so now I'm an insulin dependent Type 1 diabetic. I realize my riding days may be coming to an end depending on how my eyesight goes. Still enjoy riding but I am starting to get organized cleaning out old computers, papers and old car parts. I just got the title to my sons 1992 GS500E as a project which may end up with my grandson but also thinking it may be time to clean out the garage. Kinda crazy to start realizing it may be time to start shutting down the mechanical hobbies but hopefully still have a few years left. Not depressed because everything is still doable though crawling around in the driveway and garage is harder to get up from but as long as I don't fall off my bikes its still a great passion. Good luck SVSooke with your new endeavors!

Comment

Working...
                                X