Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modern Motorcycle most like a real 80's UJM ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like that Z900 too. The Honda 1100 styling looks a little cleaner, less busy, but the spoke wheels are a deal breaker with me. I grew up with spoke wheels but I just don't like them anymore.
    I hope the Z900 will prove to be a good buy and still around in about 5 years. I may buy one and it will probably be my last bike. I like the Honda Interceptor too. Always has to be a decision.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Sometimes enough is enough. While not a burner by today's high tech standards, there is nothing slow about 90-100 hp. My money would go to the 1100 Honda.

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
        Sometimes enough is enough. While not a burner by today's high tech standards, there is nothing slow about 90-100 hp. My money would go to the 1100 Honda.
        Yeah but when you can't break 108mph we have problems...

This is why I never considered the Honda:

The speed and rev limiters take allot of fun out of the bike so I'm told by guys my age...
        Why it was discontinued in 2014.
        They only rebooted it to try to capture some of those retro inspired bike sales (which Triumph and Ducati are raking in the coin on).

I personally will never buy a CB1100 with the influx of awesome new Retro inspired modern bikes on the market.
        The CB1100 will likely fade away into the background in a year or two. It's just not impressive and to the guys buying brand new bikes there is no WOW factor.

This is a new Honda CB I would be more likely to buy ...

Don't be surprised when the CB1100 goes away that this steps into it's spot on the lineup.
        Last edited by Jedz123; 12-14-2017, 08:06 AM.
        Jedz Moto
        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
        1988 Honda GL1500-6
        2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
        2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
        Originally posted by Hayabuser
        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

The new Husquavaran Vitpilen 701 looks AWESOME.... Although I'm not sure if I'd be interested in buying one... Maybe a 401 to replace the TUX... Maybe put into my mind for consideration

I pretty sure it's a KTM in sheeps clothes. The 700cc KTM motor is brutal.
          Jedz Moto
          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
            Yeah but when you can't break 108mph we have problems...

This is why I never considered the Honda:

The speed and rev limiters take allot of fun out of the bike so I'm told by guys my age...
            Why it was discontinued in 2014.
            They only rebooted it to try to capture some of those retro inspired bike sales (which Triumph and Ducati are raking in the coin on).

I personally will never buy a CB1100 with the influx of awesome new Retro inspired modern bikes on the market.
            The CB1100 will likely fade away into the background in a year or two. It's just not impressive and to the guys buying brand new bikes there is no WOW factor.

This is a new Honda CB I would be more likely to buy ...

Don't be surprised when the CB1100 goes away that this steps into it's spot on the lineup.
            Holy hipster fest!

It looks like it stole styling elements from Buell and Ducati, and there isn't much by way of a pillion. Same goes for that Vitpilen. The seat is part of what makes a great UJM, to me. Part of being able to do everything is being able to take a date somewhere without her hating life before we get there.
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
              Holy hipster fest!

It looks like it stole styling elements from Buell and Ducati, and there isn't much by way of a pillion. Same goes for that Vitpilen. The seat is part of what makes a great UJM, to me. Part of being able to do everything is being able to take a date somewhere without her hating life before we get there.
              Hmm well I see the point to that but I guess why each to their own with motorcycles. I'm finishing my season up at 22K miles, I rode 2 up for maybe 1500 miles... So 93% of my riding was done solo... I only care about me HAHAHA... I don't really (I'm not a narcissist), I do need to find a comfortable bike for my Mrs. & I, the FZ6 does the job ok... I will likely be getting a Corbin single saddle for the XR some point this winter for her and I.

For me I'm still sold on the XSR700... It is just exactly what I'm looking for in a neo-retro modern motorcycle. If I get a bike like this its going to be for my daily rides to work and back. I'l always have more than 1 bike in the shop... You know me .
              Last edited by Jedz123; 12-14-2017, 09:22 AM.
              Jedz Moto
              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
              1988 Honda GL1500-6
              2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
                Among the population that frequent this message board I would guess that most will agree the
                mid-80's UJM (GS Series style) bikes have a certain ..cachet ?A definitive look, style and riding position that we seem to find appealing or else why would we work so hard to keep these old beauties on the road -

IF you were able to pick ONE bike from the past few years (2010 and up) to buy today NEW --

Which would you pick that most closely resembles the UJM of our collective admiring ?

Why ?

Please discuss -
                Not even a question, the CB1100 is the only one that has the closest look, style and riding position of our old bikes. Bandits? They look like crap and certainly NOT like a UJM. The new Kawi is close but with a monoshock? no can do. This one is easy, its the Honda.

Give me a break on the performance BTW. Most of the old dogs on GSR will never out work the output of a CB1100 on the street.

EDIT: Bonus, You can pick new old ones sitting on showrooms for a song and I have seen some very nice deals on used ones.
                Last edited by nejeff; 12-14-2017, 11:33 AM. Reason: More

Comment

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
                  Not even a question, the CB1100 is the only one that has the closest look, style and riding position of our old bikes. Bandits? They look like crap and certainly NOT like a UJM. The new Kawi is close but with a monoshock? no can do. This one is easy, its the Honda.

Give me a break on the performance BTW. Most of the old dogs on GSR will never out work the output of a CB1100 on the street.

EDIT: Bonus, You can pick new old ones sitting on showrooms for a song and I have seen some very nice deals on used ones.
                  Kawasaki was asked in press why they didn't go with a twin shock rear for the Z900RS like the original Z or ZRX. The answer was performance and comfort, you can't beat a mono shock.

I found this review most interesting:

The Dollar is our last honest ballot... Best worked if cast.
                  The CB1100 Came out as a 5-speed in 2013 then all black (which I love) in 2015, then 3 years it wasn't in the USDM...
                  Coming back for 2018 with Spokes and 2-4 exhuast for 2018. Clearly a direct competitor with the R nine T...

Issue being is the CB1100 is not competitive at all, Honda marketers were relying on nostalgia to drive sales. A nostalgia most folks my age that are buying new bikes don't have or can appreciate. We like the classic look but we love the performance and experience found on a modern motorcycle OR a cheap old one, Why spend new money on an old bike???... Our purchases are driving the production of modern standard machines... Not new old bikes.

Even Harley is catching on with the totally revamped Cruiser line...

Sure the CB1100 would work best for most on this forum but not so much for those looking to buy new in the bike market...

The Honda Goldwing gets a total revamp this year because the demographic that currently own and rides is dying off (no offence).

They need to appeal to Millennials and you can definitely see it in their new commercial (which my fiance showed me immediately and asked if we could look at one to purchase).

It's about the experience, I can honestly attest to that...

Less is more... Motorcycles are a great tool for experience. I don't just buy bikes I RIDE THEM for the experiences I gather from them...

There are some awesome deals out there, I would stay clear of the 2013 model with the 5-speed transmission. Those are going for a song for sure but you'll want the 6-speed...
                  Last edited by Jedz123; 12-14-2017, 12:48 PM. Reason: Grammer
                  Jedz Moto
                  1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                  1988 Honda GL1500-6
                  2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Originally posted by thebrandonbeezy View Post
                    Well honda missed the ball there. They went for a "cruiser" style Modern classic, they should have modeled it after like A CB1100f.. hell even tge tank has the correct shape already... now kawi did exactly what was needed to sell. They modeled it after their classic sport bike that kids lusted over back in the day. Not the bike your pops would ride..
                    Also, it shouldn't have been slower than a 35 year old CB1100F.
                    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I'm not implying the CB1100 is the best performer, simply that it is the closest all around to what we are riding. The "old" style UJM is never going to be the industry standard again and I don't see any of them becoming overly popular with the younger crowd. I'll just keep running my old stuff and let the Harley guys poke fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                        The Honda Goldwing gets a total revamp this year because the demographic that currently own and rides is dying off (no offence).

They need to appeal to Millennials and you can definitely see it in their new commercial (which my fiance showed me immediately and asked if we could look at one to purchase).

It's about the experience, I can honestly attest to that...

Less is more... Motorcycles are a great tool for experience. I don't just buy bikes I RIDE THEM for the experiences I gather from them...

No offense taken - us OLD Wingers are dying off -
                        Many have gone to mega-trikes as well -
                        For me - the lean is the thrill as well as everything else about a motorcycle - so I do not see me on a Trike -- probably never..

BUT --
                        IF you ride a 2018 Goldwing and 'she who will be obeyed' likes it...
                        Welcome to the Goldwing club !
                        And Honda will be proven correct...The new Wing is not for me and my contemporaries -- it is for YOUR age group -
                        Upwardly mobile (financially) Gen X and Millennials -- That will carry the badge forward ..not us old scrooges who long for our youth once again.

PS: My offer to let you ride my Wing still stands - but it is a Gen 1 GL1800 from 2002 - So very old by 2017 standards
                        Last edited by Wingsconsin; 12-14-2017, 12:49 PM. Reason: add stuff
                        Currently in the Stable :
                        2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                        1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                        - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
                          No offense taken - us OLD Wingers are dying off -
                          Many have gone to mega-trikes as well -
                          For me - the lean is the thrill as well as everything else about a motorcycle - so I do not see me on a Trike -- probably never..

BUT --
                          IF you ride a 2018 Goldwing and 'she who will be obeyed' likes it...
                          Welcome to the Goldwing club !
                          And Honda will be proven correct...The new Wing is not for me and my contemporaries -- it is for YOUR age group -
                          Upwardly mobile (financially) Gen X and Millennials -- That will carry the badge forward ..not us old scrooges who long for our youth once again.

PS: My offer to let you ride my Wing still stands - but it is a Gen 1 GL1800 from 2002 - So very old by 2017 standards
                          The likelihood of me getting a new lighter Wing like this 18 is pretty good. It will likely be in a couple of years though, I plan to run the old HD for the time being (old as in 9 years old this January). Shannon wants to do big touring trips and go on long vacations together. We are looking hard at big motorcycles that will work for us. All depends on how much we can save and how much I get from the flips this spring... We bought an inexpensive house/property and our living expenses dropped from renting considerably (more money to spend on experiences or bank for those days).

I will definitely take you up on that Carl. I'm sure our paths will cross at least once next season!
                          Jedz Moto
                          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                          1988 Honda GL1500-6
                          2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

My Mrs says... "I'll go bike touring with you when you get one of those ones with the sofa on the back" - By that I take it she means a Goldwing

She's done some 150- 200 mile days on my 1000G years back (Pre kids) but is scared of the LA freeways (who can blame her) so that inhibits mileage a bit!
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

first, What IS a "UJM"?
                              Is it the look? derived from 1930's streamlining copied from the British twins.....plus the layout? = ALWAYS aircooled parallel cylinders, upright, unfaired, chain drive, simple disc brake (on the front only) in a tube frame ......

Some say those parallel cylinders need be 4, but being there at the time, I'd say 4 isn't a requisite. Ujms in smaller sizes were twins... exceptions would be the Yamaha 650 that sold a ton and was really a bike for people that really wanted a Triumph...likewise the Kawasaki 750 twin that nobody bought. smaller yet, single cylinder. Honda Cub etc, but nobody can call these ujms. They were really pretty rare in North America.

A Honda CL350 scrambler would be the "Dual Sport" of the day- It would get you just about anywhere....especially when Hwy speeds were limited to 55mph!
                              None of the ujms were known for handling!
                              EVERYBODY got tickets and the national debts were not so high then....

so...the Honda 4 here is technically a UJM albeit it'd be a monster in 1975 and very few would own it then.
                              Philosophically, today, it might extend to the Honda CB500F and that ilk. Simple,versatile and cheap not doing anything perfectly but most things well. Maybe a Ducati Scrambler.or some kind a dual sport but these wander from UJM per looks,engine,ignition,carburetion,suspension...eve rything.

I guess there's no going back.
                              Last edited by Gorminrider; 12-14-2017, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                                first, What IS a "UJM"?
                                Universal Japanese Motorcycle.
                                Its the looks. usually straight seat, upright seating any number of cylinders, just a general purpose, all around go fer bike.
                                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
                                X