Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modern Motorcycle most like a real 80's UJM ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Triumph Bonneville. FI, ABS & traction control.

Comment

I rode an S1000R on Sunday - that could qualify as a VERY modern representation of my skunk. The things was brand new so limited to 7500 rpm but still an absolute beast...
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
        I rode an S1000R on Sunday - that could qualify as a VERY modern representation of my skunk. The things was brand new so limited to 7500 rpm but still an absolute beast...
        bmw s1000r?
        I build Pipers

Comment

none, anything after 84 was crap, and only poofters have fairings.

Comment

I was in love with the 2003 Triumph Thunderbird Sport as I was shopping for a big bike back in 2007. Bought my 82 GS1100G for $900.

"Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Carl,

Ask this guy. Kevin, first post a week ago.
              Kevin is about 150 miles east of you (although would involve a ferry to go that way).

Originally posted by Snowman550 View Post
              Oct 6 found me buying a brand new 2014 Honda CB1100!
              Originally posted by Snowman550 View Post
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]53437[/ATTACH]
              Picture after last Sundays ride
              Custom painted to look more like the 80s version.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

That Z900 is pretty sweet. The XSR700 from Yamaha is pretty much a UJM. Its a bit thick looking, and a mite industrial, but it's a performer.

2018-XSR700-red_1_l.jpg
                "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                  That Z900 is pretty sweet. The XSR700 from Yamaha is pretty much a UJM. Its a bit thick looking, and a mite industrial, but it's a performer.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53460[/ATTACH]
                  If released when they released the Street-Rod I would have bought it...

Pure rubbish to the UJM Purists but there not the ones buying new motorcycles, we are.... Hence it's release to the states, gotta love supply and demand!

I did find love for my XR1200 Sportster after making the mistake and buying my 17 Street-Rod (which could go here too) It's marketed to be a standard bike but it's just a half A$$-ed bike IMHO. Phenomenal motor, good geometry, HORRIBLE ergonomics... If the the XSR700 came out when the XG750A did I would have never bought a Harley and not ended up on a XR1200... So I'm not too mad about it for I LOVE my Sporty... Acts like the XG750A but better and is way more comfy. It's quick but it easily won't get me into too much trouble.

I did think about the XSR900 but issue being is that where I live I don't need a big liter bike. I thought I did in my mid to late 20's (I HAVE THE POWER!!!!) but now as I'm a little older (turning 34 next month) less is more on a motorcycle... The XSR900 is a bit excessive for my needs and 50mph speed zones.

I intend to sell off the FZ6 and replace it with an XSR700... Some-point down the line in the next year or so.
                  Jedz Moto
                  1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                  1988 Honda GL1500-6
                  2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                  2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                  2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                  Originally posted by Hayabuser
                  Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Saw this on the FZ1 forum yesterday "Cycle Center in Huntington, WV just got a super clean 2017 CB1100EX in with 61 miles on it. Msrp is $12,199, they are offering it for sale for $6,499.

I think it will still be a slow sale.

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman View Post
                      Saw this on the FZ1 forum yesterday "Cycle Center in Huntington, WV just got a super clean 2017 CB1100EX in with 61 miles on it. Msrp is $12,199, they are offering it for sale for $6,499.

I think it will still be a slow sale.
                      It's a nice looking snail. LOL
                      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I'd have to say the closest thing I've ridden to a GS850 + 20 years of development is a Bandit -- Suzuki GSF1250. I immediately felt at home on it.

There are several excellent naked bikes these days (SV650, Yamaha FJ, etc.), but as far as fulfilling the "all-purpose" role of a UJM and not just aping the aesthetic, I'd say a V-Strom is the closest. The DL650, especially -- there are tons of them around, so they're easy to find and cheap, there are TONS of accessories and upgrades available (and most used examples are wearing a nice selection), they're relatively simple, dead reliable, and they're generally owned by adults who take care of them.

The aftermarket support is a key element missing from most modern naked bikes.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by thebrandonbeezy View Post
                          bmw s1000r?
                          Yep... This one

Although that's not me.... Has all the toys, clutchless shifting, all sorts of stability control etc. Far too much oomph for the street!

Nardy's aprilia could have come under modern EU UJM as well. Fun bike too
                          Last edited by salty_monk; 12-12-2017, 05:27 PM.
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                            If bikes don't look like a bug it seems kids don't want to buy them and they are the ones with disposable income prior to their first emasculating relationship with a bike hating woman.
                            Damn, that's funny. Sad, true, but funny.
                            Last edited by KEITH KRAUSE; 12-13-2017, 02:33 AM.
                            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Z. View Post
                              Kaw's ZRX 1100/1200 pretty much did it for me. Carbureted, twin shock, liquid cooled, 145+ HP, classic lines, plenty of aftermarket goodies available, comfy, etc. etc. Of course, the Big K decided that such a fine, affordable bike should be discontinued in 2007, and resulted in the things gaining cult $tatus. Pity.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53457[/ATTACH]
                              Great bikes! Probably the best standard ever. I can't understand Kawasaki's thinking either. When I was still in Southern Cal', ZRX's were everywhere. That was the only thing negative about them...everyone had one. So not only did they quit making them, I heard they didn't offer them in green the last year, even though the green outsold the red, blue and silver ones like 4-1 combined. I'm not a businessman, but I could've made smarter decisions than the idiots they hired. Marketing suicide.
                              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                                The CB1100 has ABS and FI.

This one may qualify as modern classic too...

This would be my choice as well.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
                                Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Working...
                                X