Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anypne fitted a modern L.E.D headlight on a GS1000?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jabcb View Post
    Anyone have the JW Speaker adaptive headlight? Am curious how much better they are.
    No, and at over $600 for the light, I don't think there will be many here that are rushing to try it.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

On a similar track, how about L.E.D indicators.
      I have a few sets of amber L.E.D units that i will fit if there are no problems.
      Very similar to those on my other GS.

Get rid of those big ugly square ones, and fit some modern brighter units.

Any issues that are known if i do this?

Comment

OK, will have to ask a couple of questions to be able to answer that one.

Your first post in this thread mentions that you are working on a GS1000. What year, what model?

The reason those question are necessary is because all of the GS line (and most bikes in general) uses a thermal-based flasher. It requires a certain amount of current flowing to heat up a bi-metallic strip in the flasher to make it flash. LED bulbs do not flow enough current to heat up the bi-metallic strip, so it might not flash, or it might flash very quickly. It is possible to change the flasher, but there were at least three different flashers used on a GS1000. The earliest models had a basic flasher. The '78 and '79 E models had self-cancelling signals and a different flasher. The '80 1000s also have self-cancelling signals, but it's a completely different system with yet another flasher.

There is one other thing to consider when converting turn signals to LEDs. Do you have one or two indicators on your dash panel? If you have two, great. If you have one, you will have to do some rewiring.

It's possible to have LEDs in the turn signals. I have them in my '80 850G. I have a flasher that handles the lower current, and i also have a modification to the cancelling unit that was provided by another forum member. It all works like stock, but was not without effort.

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

This bike is a Suzuki GS1000G. (X) 1981 General export (E01)
          DSC_6791.jpg

It was just a general question regarding if anyone has done it, or is possible.
          If it is just a different flasher can, then no worries.
          I have also got an after market indicator setup called "Safety Turn System", which will take care of all the electronics, regardless of the bulb type, i may just fit that and then the bikes original flasher can is redundant.

It will certainly change the look of the bike.
          Last edited by Guest; 07-07-2018, 04:35 AM.

Comment

OK, now that we finally know most of the details involved, we can discuss things a bit more intelligently.

As far as the LED headlight goes, yes, it has been done. We have them on all three of our bikes and I know of at least four others in this area alone that have them. I have read on the forum about others doing a bulb change, replacing the H4 with an LED capsule, as well. The only thing to worry about if you change the whole light (using a TruckLite, JW Speaker, etc.) is to make sure you get the Aussie/British version for driving on the other side of the road. A bulb change would not matter as much, because you would use your existing lens/reflector setup, but the general pattern on the road might change a bit.

As far as the turn signals go, your '81 1000G has the same self-cancelling setup as all three of our bikes (see list in signature). The flasher "can" is unique. There is nothing else available on the market that will be a direct fit if you want to retain your self-cancel feature. As mentioned in post #33, it is possible to use a different flasher, but there will be some electrickery involved, because of the way the stock flasher works.

You say you have a "Safety Turn System" on your bike. A quick Google search found the "Smart Turn System" available at safer-turn.com. Is that the system? Does your stock cancelling system still work? Some riders don't like the operating parameters. Some riders are not even aware that their bike even has a self-cancelling system. Some systems have failed and need to be operated manually.

Since you seem to have another option to cancel the signals automatically, you could replace your stock flasher "can" (it's actually a rectangular plastic box) with one that will handle the lighter load of LED bulbs, but you will have to re-wire the socket. It is a 3-pin socket. In stock configuration, one pin is for power from the battery, a second pin is the flashing output to the signals, a third pin receives a signal from the Turn Signal Control Unit (TSCU) to tell the flasher when to operate. You will need to cut that wire and connect it to an earth point, then select a flasher that matches the pin pattern for B, S and E (Battery, Signals, Earth). Your Smart Turn System will then take over the cancel function and all should be well.

I understand changing the look of the bike, I have done it myself.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride

Comment

You are correct, it is the Smart turn system. S.T.S.
              The indicators i am fitting will be similar to whats on the BMW GS, small discrete indicators, not at all like the monsters in the fairing you have shown.
              The headlight will remain stock, and i will fit a set of Clearwater auxiliary lights to give me some actual light when i ride after dark, i also like to be seen during daylight hours.

I realise that the bike has already got self cancelling indicators, but i am trying to bring this old dinosaur into the modern world without detracting from the stock look too much.

Comment

Originally posted by gdayjr View Post
                ... i am trying to bring this old dinosaur into the modern world without detracting from the stock look too much.
                Believe it or not, that was my goal with my fairing-mounted "monsters", along with the rest of the bike.

The stock lights in the (aftermarket) fairing had yellow lenses and were used for running lights and turn signals. I found some clear lenses to go with the LED "bulbs" that change from white to yellow. Many of the modern cars have white LED daytime running lamps, some of them turn off when the turn signal is activated. I have not yet seen another motorcycle that does that. Not claiming to be the first or the only one to do that, just the first one in this area.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Do I need to worry about replacing my regulator with the Trucklite? Lower wattage means more power for the regulator and stator to do nothing with except give off as heat right?

Edit: I saw salty_monk's post at the start of the thread stating this, but no one else acknowledged it, but Steve mentioned plug and play, so I thought it'd be best to ask again.
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-22-2018, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Yes, the light is pretty much "plug and play", but the lower power consumption DOES contribute to some excess current that needs to be handled by the R/R. The SH775 R/R will handle that nicely, and it's a good recommendation whether you install a TruckLite or not.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Just dropped an order for the Trucklite unit off of EBAY about an hour ago. If it works out in the 1000E to my liking I'll be putting one in the Vetter fairing on my GS850G barn rescue. I leave for work between 4 and 430 in the morning so on the days I take one of the older bikes I'll need the extra lumens.

Comment

Working...
                      X