Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New threads that are deleted

Honestly,

New threads that don't turn out the way expected...then deleted???

What gives?

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

A specific thread or has it been happening a lot?
    I must be missing something.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

It's possible that one of the mods has intervened, but it's also possible that the original poster has deleted the thread.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
        A specific thread or has it been happening a lot?
        I must be missing something.
        It just happened...on the sale of a bike...Steve offered $20 and I said it was a $200 bike...

Based on my experience with my first GS. But new members wouldn't know that unless they've been here +7 years.

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I also offered to drive my trailer to get it but my wife would have my nuts if I did! Lol

Ed
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Yeah, that was a first-time poster, probably felt offended by the responses to what he thought was a good offering.

Other forums I have joined all have minimums for certain privileges. On one, you can't even send a PM to anyone that is not a moderator until you have 5 posts to your credit. You can not post any pictures until you have 5 posts, which is frustrating, because it's pretty much a "show and tell" forum. You join, say something about who you are, where you are, then show what you have done (forum-related, of course). You can not offer anything for sale until you have 25 posts. I find it interesting that none of those restrictions exist here, but it's not my forum.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Yeah, that was a first-time poster, probably felt offended by the responses to what he thought was a good offering.

Other forums I have joined all have minimums for certain privileges. On one, you can't even send a PM to anyone that is not a moderator until you have 5 posts to your credit. You can not post any pictures until you have 5 posts, which is frustrating, because it's pretty much a "show and tell" forum. You join, say something about who you are, where you are, then show what you have done (forum-related, of course). You can not offer anything for sale until you have 25 posts. I find it interesting that none of those restrictions exist here, but it's not my forum.

I'm retired military...I know a thing or two about career progression...it takes time.

We live in a world of "instant gratification" therefore expectations are immediate.

Ed
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                It just happened...on the sale of a bike...Steve offered $20 and I said it was a $200 bike...

Based on my experience with my first GS. But new members wouldn't know that unless they've been here +7 years.

Ed
                Not to cast doubt on your financial acumen, but I think Steve was closer to the mark on that one.
                '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                  Not to cast doubt on your financial acumen, but I think Steve was closer to the mark on that one.
                  That may be why that thread was deleted...if by the OP. lol

If $200 was an insult, I can't imagine what $20 would do?

It takes a bit of experience around here to understand the kinda memberships we have. I suppose all forums are like that.

Ed
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

That was an odd thread/ first post. It just seemed like one of the for sale ads Craigslist is trying to weed out with their newly implemented listing fee. Honestly, I was rather proud of the members here for the replies, or lack thereof, knowing how similar threads have turned out.

I really hope the guy finds a buyer for that bike.
                    Roger

Current rides
                    1983 GS 850G
                    2003 FJR 1300A
                    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Also, on most forums (every other forum I've seen, actually) you are not allowed to make a "for sale" post without an asking price.

If I'm thinking of the same post (the "ran when parked" GK in Michigan), he was trying to start an auction and didn't seem to understand this is the wrong crowd for nonsense like that. Right place, exact wrong approach.

I think the GSR does allow new folks to post in "for sale" because it can be a valuable source of bikes and parts. It benefits all of us when there's a market for GS stuff and bikes and it's available to people who aren't enthusiasts but ended up with a bike or GS stuff they need to sell.

I really hope that bike pops up again on fleaBay or whatever because it looked like a great winter project for someone, and is in "trailer range" of quite a few enthusiasts in Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, Wisconsin, etc.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

With a little polish...that bike had more than $200 worth of accessories...which I'm sure would sell on here.

But if the seller can't even be bothered to wipe off the dust...there must be a reason for it.

People will get an impression on that or not...they just do.

Ed
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                          ...But if the seller can't even be bothered to wipe off the dust...there must be a reason for it...
                          Yeah, I realize this time of year a full wash/wax may not be feasible, but you can at least spend an hour with a damp rag and get 99% of the way there, for photo purposes at least.
                          I was going to go back and post something to that effect, but then it was gone...
                          '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                            Yeah, I realize this time of year a full wash/wax may not be feasible, but you can at least spend an hour with a damp rag and get 99% of the way there, for photo purposes at least.
                            I was going to go back and post something to that effect, but then it was gone...
                            Yep...it was gone! The thread that is...

It's becoming clear that "constructive criticism" can be construed into a snide remark.

On second thought, it was a good call to delete that thread.

Ed
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Just let it go Ed, take a deep breath and let it go...
                              My Motorcycles:
                              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                              79 1000e (all original)
                              82 850g (all original)
                              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Working...
                              X