New bike in the garage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
    Into the citric acid bath with that lot.
    I use Metal Rescue
    I’ll post some pics of the results.
    No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
      Tomorrow new plugs...not like our old GS's as I have to take the tank off to change the plugs...
      SAVE that SPARK PLUG SOCKET. It is not standard and I doubt you will have anything else that will work.
      NGK D9EA
      No you don't! There is a spark plug socket in the tool kit and a short 1/4" rod that goes through the top of the socket to enable you to turn it. slip the socket over the spark plug, press down until it seats on it's internal rubber retainer, insert the rod in the top of the socket and loosen the plug, remove rod, spin socket with two fingers to take out plug. Put new in the same way. finger start, then turn as far as you can with fingers, and seat using rod.
      \
      It's a 5 minute job. You will need to remove the side plastics if you want to make it easier. It can be done without doing that though. You should be able to turn the plugs in 9/10ths of the way easily with two fingers.
      considering those deep well plug recesses, the LAST think you want to do is cross thread a plug.

I would clean up the tool kit and put it back in the tail cone. It can come in handy and it takes no space.
      Last edited by earlfor; 07-27-2020, 04:07 PM.
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
        SAVE that SPARK PLUG SOCKET. It is not standard and I doubt you will have anything else that will work.
        NGK D9EA
        No you don't! There is a spark plug socket in the tool kit and a short 1/4" rod that goes through the top of the socket to enable you to turn it. slip the socket over the spark plug, press down until it seats on it's internal rubber retainer, insert the rod in the top of the socket and loosen the plug, remove rod, spin socket with two fingers to take out plug. Put new in the same way. finger start, then turn as far as you can with fingers, and seat using rod.
        \
        It's a 5 minute job. You will need to remove the side plastics if you want to make it easier. It can be done without doing that though. You should be able to turn the plugs in 9/10ths of the way easily with two fingers.
        considering those deep well plug recesses, the LAST think you want to do is cross thread a plug.
        Thanks Earl...I used a socket from another tool kit...the one in the Bandit kit is a bit shorter therefore easier...but I had the tank off anyway to check the air filter.
        No signature

Comment

Thanks Earl...I used a socket from another tool kit...the one in the Bandit kit is a bit shorter therefore easier...but I had the tank off anyway to check the air filter.
          I don't take the tank off to change the air filter either. LOL all I have to do is remove the plastic petcock handle and my hoses are long enough to access the air filter. heheh

If it will make you feel better though, I DO remove the tank to adjust the valves. lol
          Last edited by earlfor; 07-27-2020, 09:46 PM.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
            I don't take the tank off to change the air filter either. LOL all I have to do is remove the plastic petcock handle and my hoses are long enough to access the air filter. heheh

If it will make you feel better thugh, I DO remove the tank to adjust the valves. lol
            Lol.... ..
            No signature

Comment

Lol.... ..
              Find out the mileage when the valves were last adjusted. If they are right, you should be able to hear the tappets. Not loud, just a little light footed leprechaun dance.heh

Comment

I had a similar colored 2002 Bandit a couple of years ago. Was in rough shape with the previous Owner being a student.

Only had 25K on it but all tough kilometers.

After a major tune up, it ran flawless.

I ended up selling it to a guy that wanted to cross Canada on it. I was a bit concerned with that idea due to it's age. He contacted me after the summer to tell me he bumped the mileage up to 47K after crossing the country twice . The only repair was to replace the oil cooler lines.

Another bike i moved out and wondered why i didn't keep it....

Comment

Originally posted by Mercaholic View Post
                  I had a similar colored 2002 Bandit a couple of years ago. Was in rough shape with the previous Owner being a student.

Only had 25K on it but all tough kilometers.

After a major tune up, it ran flawless.

I ended up selling it to a guy that wanted to cross Canada on it. I was a bit concerned with that idea due to it's age. He contacted me after the summer to tell me he bumped the mileage up to 47K after crossing the country twice . The only repair was to replace the oil cooler lines.

Another bike i moved out and wondered why i didn't keep it....
                  Thanks for your story...I'm very happy that I stumbled on this bike. Like I said before, at the price I paid sure I could make a quick 12-1500 bucks but fortunately that kind of money won't make a big difference in my life...but having a cheap, fun and more than capable sport touring bike in the garage is worth more to me...
                  No signature

Comment

If it means anything my buddy that bought my old 98 Bandit 1200 rolled it over to 100K miles. It needs a suspension refresh but it runs great!

Last edited by Jedz123; 07-29-2020, 11:49 AM.
                    Jedz Moto
                    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                    1988 Honda GL1500-6
                    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                    Originally posted by Hayabuser
                    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Congrats on the find. Cool bikes and for the price you can't bock at it!
                      Enjoy!
                      Jedz Moto
                      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                      1988 Honda GL1500-6
                      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                      2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                      Originally posted by Hayabuser
                      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Such a good deal. Suuuuuch a goooood deal! I like the first gen bandits because they use the same speedo/tach/fuel guage housings as my 1993 GSX1100G so I was able to get brand new ones for it. I owned a 2001 B12 several years ago. Unfortunately it had the infamous oil burning issue so I sold it rather than fix it. I had a very difficult time keeping the front tire of that bike on the ground.
                        Current Bikes:
                        2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

For comparison: https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mc...168290268.html
                          Current Bikes:
                          2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                            In all fairness, that is a 1250
                            No signature

Comment

That's around a dollar per cubic centimetre, not bad at all I might be looking to get one of these for longer rides, don't want to abuse my GS too much.
                              1980 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by radek22 View Post
                                That's around a dollar per cubic centimetre, not bad at all I might be looking to get one of these for longer rides, don't want to abuse my GS too much.
                                That’s why I’m keeping it... take some heat off the old girls
                                No signature

Comment

Working...
                                X