New member, Hello from Indiana!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Who Dat? View Post
    You going to join the group in Bedford next month? Many of those "nestlings" will be there.
    Thanks for the heads up - unfortunately I'll likely miss this one, but would be interested to hear about other meet-ups in the future!
    1979 Suzuki GS750

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post

Ignore the heretic. Windjammers are amongst mankind's finest creations.
      I'm excited to see how it feels with vs without it! I've never been a huge fan of fairings, but this one has a unique charm to it. Definitely plan to hold onto it.
      1979 Suzuki GS750

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post

Welcome.

Do look into the "Brown County" Rally. Is in about 4 weeks, In Bedford Indinai (we know, not Brown County).

Cant tell by pic (is small), but if that is WindJammer IV, I got a copy of the install manaul for that (is what I had on 1980 850G), that I could send to you. (drop message to me).
        Fairing will allow you to ride further, and in lot colder weather... so concider that if you like riding (more than just being seen with a bike).
        Thanks for the info about the meet up - unfortunately I think I'll miss this one.

For whatever reason I'm having difficulty uploading the right size pictures... I'll see if I can fix that later.

It is a Windjammer, but I'm unsure if it's a model IV. Will reach out regarding the manual, thanks! I'm going to start riding without the accessories to improve visibility around the bike, but once I'm comfortable I plan to put them back on.
        1979 Suzuki GS750

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
          "NW Indiana" you say.

Are some forum members in Valpo and Cedar Lake area.......
          Ah, that's very close! Could be fun to do some group rides once I'm running & settled in.
          1979 Suzuki GS750

Comment

Oh you definitely don't want to hang around with that lot up there in and around Indiana. They never do anything fun! They definitely don't have the best series of rallies on the forum every year and they are just generally a really unfriendly and totally unhelpful bunch....
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

and sometimes, some guy from as far away as California, Rendono Beach California, comes to the Brown County Rally.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by LeonAlistar View Post

Hi Rob

I plan to remove the trunk, backrest and (you are correct!) Windjammer SS until I get more comfortable with the bike, at which point I may put them back on for longer rides. One issue I'm running into as that the original headlight is gone - just the mounting ears remain. Would you happen to have any recommendations on where I could get a new (or gently used) one? Thanks, and thanks for the welcome!
                As far as a headlight, you won't find anything used worth a hoot; these things seem to be fragile as eggs, with parts that vanish between dimensions as soon as they are removed from a motorcycle, and sometimes before.

What you want is the second item on this page (chrome Kawasaki replica headlight, the second version with 8mm holes at the sides.) paired with the fourth item, the 7 inch quartx H4 headlight globe:
                Custom and OE Style Head Lights and mounts and Bulbs in CRC2's Online Catalog of New motorcycle Parts and Accessories Indy

You may also need to scare up 8mm bolts and washers to mount up and stay in place. I used 8mm stainless allen head bolts with stainless 5/16" washers and rubber washers for friction. They're usually in stock at CRC2 in downtown Indy if you're passing through town.

This is what's on my bike. The stock headlight shell is black plastic, but the chrome does not look out of place, and it's awfully nice to use new stuff and not have to deal with old busted junk.

Dime City Cycles also has several variations if you want something different -- look at the 7" side mount options. Some are cheaper than the above.

Perhaps:
                Headlight Assembly - 7 inch This Item is not eligible for free shipping. Adding this item to CART makes the order ineligible for free shipping

Or this is the same bucket as CRC2 has above, I think; you'd still need the globe and H4 bulb.

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Z1 Enterprises does a powdercoated black one along similar lines... I used one for years. Also supposedly for Kawasaki.
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I'd remove the "Sissy Bar'. You get rear ended, and it will help the car grind you into hamburger. I have a Givi trunk for my ZZR1200. I might mount it on my M.G. Midget on a chrome rack, but not on the bike. I don't like the look and fore aforementioned reasons. I made one 4" inches high for my son, when I started taking him for tides when he was 8 years old. It even had a pad. It's not on there now, though I left the rack on, sometimes you have to haul the unexpected.
                    Last edited by Suzukian; 05-22-2023, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LeonAlistar View Post

It is a Windjammer, but I'm unsure if it's a model IV
                      Windjammer IVs were also known as Windjammer SS.
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Vetter stopped making them claiming a fire destroyed the molds. With all the ones he sold, you going to tell me he couldn't make a new plug again? Likes like that strange lightning that Insurance companies run into now and then. Sales were dropping, they weighed a ton, and only the big bore bikes could really handle them, but if you take it off, you probably won't put it back on. Big difference in handling.

Indiana wants me, I can't go back there.

Comment

Working...
                        X