X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Forum Member and Questions Regarding My "New" 83 GS850L

Hello.

I am Jay, in Knoxville.

I've been riding just over 20 years and have had over a dozen different machines during that time.

My 2nd bike was a dogged out 79 GS550 that I continued to dog for about 2 years until it died.

Many years and bikes later, I now have a bit more knowledge, wisdom and common sense. (just a bit...)

My "big" machine, currently, is a 2000 Valkyrie Interstate. My "little" machine is a Yamaha Zuma 125 scooter.

My latest acquisition, the "medium" machine is an 83 GS850L.

I just picked it up last weekend. It runs well. It appears to be bone stock, down to the pipes. I think the hand grips are not OEM. That's all I can find.

It has 16.5K miles on it. Some minor seepage around the valve cover gasket. Runs strong.

The tires are old and hard. I slid around a corner or two on the way home. I've been a big fan of Metzlers, on the Valk, which weighs twice as much.

Just thought I'd ask for opinions here on my tire options.

Once my tires are safer, I'll begin going through it systematically to make sure it's generally fit for service.

You can look forward to my noob questions concerning shim & bucket valve adjustments, as that is new to me.

Thanks!

Jay

GS850B.jpg

Great looking survivor. Looks brand new. Welcome to the forum.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

First WELCOME, 2nd we Rarely see this nice and OEM looking. Congrats.. , 3rd I like what you wrote about yourself "I have a bit more knowledge, wisdom, and common sense"... Usually means birthdays. That being said, I can't help with tire choices, I've accumulated enough Knowledge, wisdom, and common sense, no aggressive riding any more. I usually just put on what's available and cheap, throw in some balancing beads and all is good. Gosh, I can't remember the last time I drug a peg or anything in a curve.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Welcome aboard!

You'll find this to be your best source for information on your GS.

Check the tire forum for information on tires.
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
          I can't remember the last time I drug a peg or anything in a curve.
          Then you haven't been riding an 883XL (Sportster "SuperLow").
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Howdy from North Knox, neighbor...
            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by jaytex1969 View Post
              Hello.

I am Jay, in Knoxville.

I've been riding just over 20 years and have had over a dozen different machines during that time.

My 2nd bike was a dogged out 79 GS550 that I continued to dog for about 2 years until it died.

Many years and bikes later, I now have a bit more knowledge, wisdom and common sense. (just a bit...)

My "big" machine, currently, is a 2000 Valkyrie Interstate. My "little" machine is a Yamaha Zuma 125 scooter.

My latest acquisition, the "medium" machine is an 83 GS850L.

I just picked it up last weekend. It runs well. It appears to be bone stock, down to the pipes. I think the hand grips are not OEM. That's all I can find.

It has 16.5K miles on it. Some minor seepage around the valve cover gasket. Runs strong.

The tires are old and hard. I slid around a corner or two on the way home. I've been a big fan of Metzlers, on the Valk, which weighs twice as much.

Just thought I'd ask for opinions here on my tire options.

Once my tires are safer, I'll begin going through it systematically to make sure it's generally fit for service.

You can look forward to my noob questions concerning shim & bucket valve adjustments, as that is new to me.

Thanks!

Jay

GS850B.jpg
              Hey! Hold the phone!

Is this the same Valkyrie Jay that came by to look at my Triumph Trophy for sale a few weeks ago?
              Looks like you found a nice GS, and you found the right place for info.

Congrats....

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post

Hey! Hold the phone!

Is this the same Valkyrie Jay that came by to look at my Triumph Trophy for sale a few weeks ago?
                Looks like you found a nice GS, and you found the right place for info.

Congrats....
                It is I. Your Trophy kept calling to me, but I had set out for an 80's UJM and couldn't get that out of my system.

Family photo...

Family.jpg

Comment

OOhhh, Still room for a couple more... Congrats.
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                    OOhhh, Still room for a couple more... Congrats.
                    This makes 17 carburetors in my garage now!

Comment

It is I. Your Trophy kept calling to me, but I had set out for an 80's UJM and couldn't get that out of my system.

Family photo...

Family.jpg
                      That's OK. You got I nice looking bike. I picked my GS over the Trophy, also.

Comment

Family photo...

Family.jpg
                        Multiple bike ownership was one of the true highlights of my life. It was only two bikes (Sportster & 11E) and it was less than five years, but both were always fully gassed, oiled and charged. On more than a few occasions, I was fully geared up and couldn't decide which for a long few minutes.

Or the 3 am visits to the garage in shorts and slippers just to sit with them...caress them. Insomnia didn't bother me a bit: it just meant more waking hours to gaze at their beauty.

Lovely family photo.
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I got to put 1100 miles on the red Valkyrie over the weekend, shooting up to Baltimore and back to see the parents. She's a real battle cruiser!

valx.jpg

Comment

Say I read dragging pegs and that’s right up my….quicker days when riding particularly well. Oh welcome to the forum. I like Metzlers and just about any sticky tire that I can find that will fit the rims. Choices are getting slimmer all the time.

V
                            Gustov
                            80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                            81 GS 1000 G
                            79 GS 850 G
                            81 GS 850 L
                            83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                            80 GS 550 L
                            86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                            2002 Honda 919
                            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Nice! Not enough '83s around here, ya know.

I and a lot of folks I know are running the Shinko 230, or perhaps the 712 if you like the looks of that one better.

I get about 3,000 miles out of them, normal people get 5K or more. Great tires for the money, made in Korea. I push them VERY hard, and they handle beautifully in all conditions.

If you want to splash out for higher-end rubber, the Bridgestone Battlax BT-46, the Michelin Commander, or the Conti Go! are considered quite spiffy.

Somewhere around here's a newbie mistakes thread that should be a good general guide. After tires, suspension is probably the next priority if it hasn't been upgraded yet. I'm guessing it has updated fork springs at least. Can't tell about the shocks.

Most folks change those awful handlebars for something more comfy; it's pretty rare to see a set of originals.
                              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                              X