in scotland, just got a 1980 gsx 750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

in scotland, just got a 1980 gsx 750

hi there, I am adam,live in Edinburgh Scotland, just got a nice old 1980 gsx 750,only 11000 on it!hasnt run for years...so will keep you posted of progress. No doubt be asking lots of questions as time goes on! glad the forum is here

Welocme to the fun house. Please post some pics of your cycle when you get a chance.
    My in laws are Scottish. My mother in law came to the US when she was 18. Hannah Park in Schotts is named after her father.
    Anyways, welcome and enjoy.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Thanks for the welcome Glen,will post photos when get a chance..she not pretty just now,paintwork shabby,but will get there! Cheers Adam

Comment

Scotland!

Welcome,

Yes, please post a pic of your 750. Oh what beautiful countryside you have at your disposal.

My wife is from Coat bridge nr Glasgow. When we visited her family in the early 90s, a trek to Edinburg was in order. One of the best castles I've ever seen, by the way.

Good luck with all you plan on your bike. Hopefully, you found the stamped VIN on the neck of the frame.

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

thank you Ed, Edinburgh a beautiful city, know Coatbridge to drive through, stayed outside Stirling for long enough, not far away! Will post up pics soon, bike in friends lock up, so only along when can just now, we got snow and freezing temp just now. going Friday to fit new battery, fire her up! take some pics then,and have a better idea of what needed...not much I hope ....thanks again,cheers adam

Comment

Before you fire it up...

Be sure to check the tank for rust, and drain the old gas out of the carbs and tank, then put some fresh gas in and slosh the tank around a bit, dump again then turn the petcock onto prime and let more drain through the float bowl drains in the carbs, turn the petcock back to on, put the drain screws back in, turn back to prime, tapping the bowls carefully a bit with a rubber or plastic mallet if the floats seem to stick and cause fuel to overflow out of the drain hose. Turn back to on if the floats stick. You'll want to rebuild or replace the petcock if it keeps flowing in the on position and will need to strip/dip and replace the orings in the carbs later on, once you get it running but I would suggest running a tank of gas or two through to get things loosened up, warmed up and flowing up a bit first.

In the meantime, I would suggest taking all the plugs out and squirting some oil down in the cylinders at different angles, waiting a bit, squirting some more in and then turning the engine over by hand a few times to make sure the rings are free, then drain and change the oil and filter, and then attempt to fire her up!

Youll also want want to download the manual from Basscliffs site and go through the quick charge tests and revised stator pages...

And yes, post some pics!
            ----------------------------------------------------------------
            2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Thank you for all that advice...the guy I bought it off had apparently done all that,serviced, and did hear it running before I bought it. Have just been along and tried to start with new battery,there is no on/off/prime handle on the petcock, he tried to tell me it had never had one, but it is just missing.Will I have to replace the whole petcock?! Anyway,was flooded,and couldn't start, so will need to go back and take out plugs, try again. Any suggestions where to get replacement petcock? And thanks for the Basscliff site, no Haynes manual for this I see. Help greatly appreciated, been many years since had/worked on bike, so slowly rebuilding confidence. Cheers Adam

Comment

Hi Adam, sounds like you've got the 'dreaded' 1980 fuel tap (they're not as bad as some people would have you think). Here's how it works - there's probably nothing wrong with it.

By the way, Cliff has got the Suzuki manual on his site - much better than Haynes.
                Last edited by hampshirehog; 01-16-2015, 07:54 AM.
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

so it is meant to be like that! weird ... does that mean I should use a screwdriver, and set it to prime whenever am going to start after sitting for a while?will need to study it to get my head round it. Did go to Cliff site, could only see gs750 e, downloaded that, was 1983 model, is that the one, or did I miss something? Thank you all for help and advice, has been invaluable

Comment

I use the screwdriver if I leave the bike for about a week as a matter of course. Always starts on the button. Never leave the thing on prime after it's started or you could end up with a puddle of petrol on the floor.

The manual you want from Cliff's site is the GS750 16 valve LT, LX.....etc. The Yanks called the GSX a GS and their bikes had a different tank, speedo and a few electrical differences but the rest is the same.
                    79 GS1000S
                    79 GS1000S (another one)
                    80 GSX750
                    80 GS550
                    80 CB650 cafe racer
                    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Thanks for that,big help.Be back at it beginning of next week,so will let you know how get on. Have a good day,speak soon ��

Comment

Originally posted by ad777 View Post
                        Thanks for that,big help.Be back at it beginning of next week,so will let you know how get on. Have a good day,speak soon ��
                        Waiting on you Adam...pictures of your bike please! (With the countryside backdrop!)

Ed
                        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Hi Ed,was at her a couple of days ago,couldn't get started,ordered new plugs,keep forgetting to take photos...no going to be much countryside for a while,in a lock up in the middle of Edinburgh!!! Back at her mid week...will keep you posted,n do my best to remember pics! Take care,Adam

Comment

Do What You Gotta Do!

^^No pressure Adam..take the pics when you can!

I'm very excited for you to get her going.

Ed
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Hello and welcome to another Brit ( you are still British up there I think at the moment).

If you get a change, pop a long to our UK GS Owners Facebook Group.

Greetings
                              Richard
                              sigpic
                              GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                              GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                              GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                              GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                              Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                              Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Working...
                              X