No announcement yet.

Left for dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes Goshen area....I've been in the van/RV painting business for almost 35 years now...surprised I'm still breathing
    ...If it stays dry long enough around here,maybe I can get some miles on my bike to go somewhere this year..

My grandma had a 56 Ford Victoria that had plastic on the seats....seemed pretty cool when I was a kid. I think I remember the plastic on the carpets too

Comment

Yeah, the rain has been ridiculous this season. Supposed to be pretty nice for the rest of the week as of now. BUT, as us Mid-Westerners know, that will change 6 times before the weekend...
      '83 GS 1100T
      The Jet

sigpic
      '95 GSXR 750w
      The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Started lacing up the 18 inch rim to the GT/GS hub

IMG_3416.jpg

Looked a bit confusing at first.......

Comment

But I had it all together ready to tighten and align up in about 1/2 hour....
          way easier than it looks........

IMG_3508.jpg

Time for new bearings and tires......
          Then I need to pull forks apart for new seals and a good cleaning inside and out.

PS.........why are my pics coming out so small now?
          Last edited by Guest; 07-27-2015, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Awesome collection of bikes, sir. You are an inspiration!
            Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
            2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
            1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Thanks for the kind words

After cleaning all the rust out of my tank..... I found it to be much worse than I thought.
              About 40 small holes all over the bottom and edges of tank...and even one on the top...
              I found a complete parts 78 GS1000 in Ohio....drove to get it today, and the guy said someone stole it last night from the side of his trailer....
              So someone out there has a good 78 gas tank.... I waited a week too long to go get the bike

Comment

read the directions to the Caswell 2 part epoxy liner. youll see that all you need to do is duct tape over the holes after derusting, do the liner and roll a little extra to the area of the holes. Let it cure a few hrs and remove the tape and let it finish the cure process. Little filler over the area and sand. Ready for paint.

From the instuctions:: Apply duct tape or masking tape to any weeping seams, holes or porous areas. This will stop any Gas Tank Sealer from oozing out, and will allow it to bridge over the hole.

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Looks like my only option at this point, unless I pull the tank off my other 78..... either way I will need two tanks that hold gas.
                  I doubt I'll paint the tank though....pretty serious rust on the top surface. But if I can get it to hold gas, while I get the bike together to get it back on the road. I can then shake it down and find any other problems, and fix this winter...along with a better tank.

Comment

The instructions also tell you that it can be thinned with ( i think it said ) Acetone. This makes it a little thinner and easier to flow over a particularly rough area a few times before it starts to catalize. In any case it does a great job at sealing the holes.
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Deleted post.
                      Last edited by 83GS1100E_Tornado; 11-05-2015, 03:36 PM.
                      Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
                      87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
                      99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
                      15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

Yes its serious.........and YES it works and is a ​PROVEN fix!!!! Theres a skunk tank on Ebay that will need a lot of dent pulling that the guy wants 300 for.

Comment

Deleted post.
                          Last edited by 83GS1100E_Tornado; 11-05-2015, 03:35 PM.
                          Current stable:

Comment

Deleted post.
                            Last edited by 83GS1100E_Tornado; 11-05-2015, 03:36 PM.
                            Current stable:

Comment

Originally posted by busa1300 View Post
                              But I had it all together ready to tighten and align up in about 1/2 hour....
                              way easier than it looks........

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41194[/ATTACH]

Time for new bearings and tires......
                              Then I need to pull forks apart for new seals and a good cleaning inside and out.

PS.........why are my pics coming out so small now?
                              Rims look great, are you truing them yourself? I've always been tempted but it seems like such an art.
                              Rob
                              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Im sure you have done many more than me. Why dont you pony up all the listings for skunk so he can get one then. I mean since you have all the ins for such things like you say.

The tank liner is a reliable fix if the directions are followed completely. we can argue all day back and forth. I use them on my bikes and have on many other bikes as well and so far never a complaint or failure. My 750 liner is almost 8 years old now and not 1 bit of deterioration. Now , the only one that really is crap is the Kreem kits did that on my very first bike tank way back when and it in fact did fail after just a few years. The POR 15 and Caswell kits havent ever failed me. I stand 1000% behind my endsorsement of them.

Please show us some threads from any forum you choose that specifically mentions the Caswell kits or the POR 15 being prone to gas eating through them.. I want to see the evidence behind your assertions.

Comment

Working...
                                X