No announcement yet.

Left for dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help Busa out and let him have the links to all these ​NOS 1978 GS 1000 E/C tanks.........
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by 83GS1100E_Tornado View Post
      As far as restorations go, give me a break Chuck. You and I aren't even in the same league.
      You got that right, though I suspect unintentionally.

You're right, I do have the money and resources to do things the best way I deem fit,
      Wow... How sad it must be to judge everything in life by monetary means. Including your bikes.

You are a shining example of the American dream.

...it doesn't take a whole lot of skills to line a gas tank.
      But considerably more than simply bolting one to a frame.

If that's what you're hanging your hat on, you really need to get a life.
      Holy cow.... what foolish arrogance.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn
        Hes a parts swapper. He keeps harping that I expect to make a fortune selling my bikes...how he gets that idea I will never know. I have repeatedly stated I get a bike to rebuild and ride. My focus isnt on being a flipper like he is. I do a bike to reclaim it and that gives me a lot of satisfaction...thats why I do it. No other reason.
        And so I respect your skills and knowledge. You get one of these for being a true biker....

PS Check out my 750 video in my sig line. I stripped and rebuilt the carbs, they've only been bench balanced but I'm pleased with how she ticks over.

Any suggestions or observations would be eagerly accepted.

Comment

The way she runs is based on a syncronised "dance " if you will of a few things. Valve adjustment ( on a stone cold engine ), timing, good intake boots and orings, clamps that tighten well ( yes they do stretch ), and finally a good vacuum gauge syncing. Get all the maintenance done and within specs and she will be amazing!!!!

And be sure the cam chain tensioner is working and adjusted right. Find the 8 valve 750 manual here if you havent already.

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Last weekend I went to Ohio to buy a complete parts bike for the tank....The price was $300, after two weeks he still had it, so I decided to make an offer ($200) and a 2 1/2 hour one way road trip to pick the poor bike up. The morning I got there, the guy told me the bike was stolen from the side of his trailer the night before.
            I'm willing to consider a whole bike just for a tank, but I'm not driving thousands of miles for it. And I'm not interested in ripping a possibly good bike to bits, just so I can get a free tank out of it.
            And since this bike will never be a restoration project while I own it, it is a resurrection of sorts... I have no perfect bikes, but I do have a desire to keep most correct in some form. Whether as from factory, or from a certain time period....I'm building this $300 GS1000 as just a cool old rider.
            I have a GS1100 aluminum swingarm coming from Japan in another week or two (prices for them here in the states is outright robbery)...And hopefully some used Ohlins shocks if I can get them shipped, after that. The GS1000 was never offered in Japan, but the first generation Katana was from 1982 onward ....for many years. Which is what the swingarm is from.
            Speaking of Katanas, I took mine to Indy for the Moto GP this weekend. ...And the Circle Center/Meridian cruise in...

IMG_4012.jpg

Comment

Just got all my paperwork finally together, using a process in Indiana to apply for a lost title....about 10 different things to get filled out and filled in.
              But it checked out at the BMV, so now it's in the mail to Indy, to hopefully get a new clean and clear title for the 78 GS 1000.
              Then I can start doing something on it without the concern it will never be legal to ride.

Slowly collecting parts for it (headlight and brackets/turn signals/wheels/aluminum swingarm)....no luck on a tank yet though...
              Going to try and get exhaust off sometime this week and get that cleaned and buffed out. Might end up pulling motor out to clean up engine/frame better...if I'm motivated

Getting a soda blaster this week also to clean up my CBX head, so I can get that back together. And then get new pistons in, and head back on before it snows..... is first priority over the GS though.

IMG_4199.jpg

Comment

NO Honda should take priority over ANY GS. Unless you are getting paid to do it. And even then it's questionable...
                '83 GS 1100T
                The Jet

sigpic
                '95 GSXR 750w
                The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Well, you've already applied for a new title, but if that parts bike had still been available (not sold and the guy lying to you about it) it might have had title and you could have swapped all the good parts over to that.
                  "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                  1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                  1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                  1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I understand your feelings, since this is a Suzuki site......
                    But I've had the CBX opened up for surgery for almost two years now......It's time to give it a chance to breath in some fuel and spit out fire again.

IMG_4238 - Copy.jpg

Then the next five bikes needing work will get their turn.....All Suzuki.......

Comment

I could have used the frame, but this way, the good engine can stay where its at in it's own frame now.
                      The bike did have some good parts though...Tank/generator cover/wire wheels..... but I was thinking about it too much, and moved on it too slow

Comment

Quick question....I'll ask in a different section here too...
                        Will the pistons/cylinder/head from a 82 GS1100GK drop directly onto a GS1000E chain drive engine?
                        Or are the rods a different length, or piston pin height issues?

Comment

Still collecting.....

IMG_4530.jpg

Got my new title, so now I can get more serious about it.
                          Last edited by Guest; 09-02-2015, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Testing my ideas on the GS
                            Last edited by Guest; 11-08-2015, 07:55 AM.

Comment

What are the spoked wheels from?
                              I see bead locker holes in the rear, so assuming it is a wider drag rim?
                              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Rear hub is GS 1000, with a 3.5X18 Sun aluminum rim...off a old drag bike....
                                Front hub was from a GT550 that I laced to a Sun 2.75X18 aluminum rim
                                Rotors are going to be GS1150
                                Front and rear calipers off a 600 Kat
                                GS1100 swingarm, which I had to spread rear foot peg area in frame, to give enough clearance to fit. About 1/8 inch on each side now.

Last edited by Guest; 11-08-2015, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X