hey new GS1150 owner here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hey new GS1150 owner here!

I have a Honda 1979 CBX as my daily ride, my brother who is in failing health and unable to ride or repair his ride gave me his 1984 GS1150EF. Two plugs were off in the head back in 1997 and it was left in a tool shed until I picked it up last winter.

So this winter I begin my GS restore project I hope with the accumulated knowledge on this site you all can guide me through the problems I'll encounter.
    1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Congratulations. This site and its members are a wealth of info and knowledge. Make sure to download the manual, go through the revised stator pages, Top 10 Newbie mistakes and search, read,up ask questions where needed, and post some pictures of your bike, as we all like pics.

Are you keeping it all stock? Please say yes, the 84 1150EF is a beautiful bike, I wish we had the option to buy them down here in the USA!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Welcome. I'm down in Cranbrook and I also have a few biking buddies in Calgary. In fact last year I picked up the '84 750EF that I have from a friend in Calgary. Ever get down this way PM me for coffee or a brew.
      '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by mikerophone View Post
        Congratulations. This site and its members are a wealth of info and knowledge. Make sure to download the manual, go through the revised stator pages, Top 10 Newbie mistakes and search, read,up ask questions where needed, and post some pictures of your bike, as we all like pics.

Are you keeping it all stock? Please say yes, the 84 1150EF is a beautiful bike, I wish we had the option to buy them down here in the USA!
        yes I'm keeping it stock as possible, it's 100% complete but there will be things to replace. I already sourced a new wind screen and put the old scratched screen into storage.

I was given an original service manual with it but manuals are written for mechanics which I'm not so I'll need help with translation into something I understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
          Welcome. I'm down in Cranbrook and I also have a few biking buddies in Calgary. In fact last year I picked up the '84 750EF that I have from a friend in Calgary. Ever get down this way PM me for coffee or a brew.
          thanks, last time I was in Cranbrook was in 1979 coming back from Vancouver on my CBX.

Comment

Welcome aboard.
            1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

Comment

This site, a manual and a bike, it's all you need. Welcome aboard, and post a picture when you get a chance. We like them all, even the dusty dirty ones.
              Rob
              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Yes welcome aboard. We like pics. You might want to consider coming on the pnw rally if we ever decide where we are going. lol
                No signature

Comment

Another GS1150 - welcome.

Done some work of my 2 already - see sig.

Yes - pics please.

Greetings
                  Richard
                  sigpic
                  GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                  GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                  GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                  GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                  Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                  Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Welcome from a fellow 1150 rider. Good luck with the project.
                    Last edited by dorkburger; 11-17-2015, 10:35 AM.
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Hi ya, wyly.
                      Nice to see you over here.
                      This is a great site for all things GS.
                      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Welcome to the site wyly. I build, race & restore 1100s & 1150s. Feel free to call me at 714.356, 784five if I can ever help you. I have been working on them since they were new so can tell you what things to address or watch out for.
                        Ray.

Comment

Welcome. As far as those pics go, I'm sure we'd also like to see your 'commuter' bike.
                          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

IMG_151117_142848759-250x100.jpg
                            here are my projects/stable, photo was taken the day after I retrieved them from decades of storage in my brothers tool shed. I've cleaned up the AW440 Maico to respectable level, my knees are to far gone for off MX riding and I'll probably put it up for sale this winter. I've begun to disassemble the GS I'm hoping the broken plug removal isn't to difficult for my skill set.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                              Welcome. As far as those pics go, I'm sure we'd also like to see your 'commuter' bike.
                              I'd like to post better pics but I'm clearly doing something wrong. Mastering this IT stuff is huge challenge for me, I need an EASY button! My daily ride, well not so much now I've switched to the beast behind it for the winter.
                              Last edited by wyly; 11-17-2015, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X