Hello from the uk!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from the uk!

Just thought i'd pop in here and say hello, new gs550 owner, wanted a smaller capacity older machine after passing my bike test recently, although after 55k miles it has a few problems to sort out, its a 1981 E model

Issues i know of so far?, the indicators and neutral light need fixing, various parts need stripping of rust and paint and repainting or polishing, the clutch feels pretty strange (heavy and slightly spongy, the actuator mechanism seems fine so
    hopefully just a cable), the universal front mudguard is terrible, as are the cobbled together coils/leads, the throttle tube is smashed and the tailpiece doesnt fit that well... i think thats it for now, thanks in advance for giving me all the advice i'll probably need, cheers guys.
    s-l16002.jpg

Nice looking bike, I believe I see some Accel spark plug wires, which probably means it has some Accel coils too.

Do motorcycles have to go through MOT like a car?
    1981 Suzuki GS250T
    1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
    1985 Suzuki GS550E
    2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

Hey Monkeypeas!

Welcome and nice little bike you got there. It looks immaculate even with all the flaws you describe. You will get plenty of help here. There's some very active folks from GB here. Hampshire dude is cool. Stick around...lots of fun in store.

Ed
      Last edited by GSXR7ED; 08-17-2018, 07:03 AM.
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Welcome aboard! You might want to take a look at this group if you're on Facebook.... https://www.facebook.com/groups/uksuzukigsowners/
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

yeah, still have to mot them unless they are 40 years old or over, they are actually "eezestart" plug wires which have been cut and bodged onto the ends of the old leads coming out of the original coils, well, 1 original coil, the other is off something else lol, there is a certain amount of hackery here for me to fix for sure, a few parts including some of the frame has been painted with hammerite and a paint brush, the usual fair, but hey, its good looking from a distance atleast

Comment

Hi Monkeypeas and Welcome.
            Very tidy machine. Many happy miles and safe arrivals.
            Looks like you have a mixture of indicators on there. Any chance the back ones are LEDs and the front filament.
            Never underestimate the creativity of Previous Owner.
            If I might suggest getting the charging and electrical system in general sorted first.
            90% of ' carb trouble' is electrical
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Welcome. Nice looking cycle. Enjoy.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Hey another Brit!

Welcome. You have a good bike there.

Yes there is plenty to do but who wants to buy a bike that's finished?

Give us a shout if you need anything. There seems to be plenty of 550 parts floating about.

Greetings

Richard
                Richard
                sigpic
                GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Hia monkeypeas that looks a decent bike as you say there is a bit of work to do that's what winter is for isn't it.
                  plenty of experienced people to assist here when and if you need it. Great forum.
                  The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
                  1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                  past bikes. RF900
                  TL1000s
                  Hayabusa
                  gsx 750f x2
                  197cc Francis Barnett
                  various British nails

Comment

Welcome to the club. I'm just down the road in Derby.
                    The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Working...
                    X