Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just about said something to "Got Harley" guy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by born2lose View Post
    But I also learned that they have more respect for riders of metric bikes or non Harleys than they do for weekend warriors. Or posers, they considered posers guys on faux Harleys (i.e. Shadows, V-stars, etc) that dress and act like they are card carrying members of Sons of Anarchy.
    Even better is the look-a-likes riding import cruisers while sporting all the typical Harleyween gear. Throw up a little!
    sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

I saw a little Japanese ecnonobox going down the road with all kinds of HD stickers all over it, I'd rather push a Herley than ride a Jap bike, Loud Pipes Save Lives, Real men ride HD, and about 16 of those orange and black Herdly emblems.
      The driver was a doofy little dweeb right out of high school.
      Apparently the irony was lost on this rugged individual wanna be.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        I saw a little Japanese ecnonobox going down the road with all kinds of HD stickers all over it, I'd rather push a Herley than ride a Jap bike, Loud Pipes Save Lives, Real men ride HD, and about 16 of those orange and black Herdly emblems.
        The driver was a doofy little dweeb right out of high school.
        Apparently the irony was lost on this rugged individual wanna be.
        Lots of teens have well developed sense for absurdity and hypocrisy, and like to tweek people for it. Mad magazine is aimed at teens. That kid might have been silently teasing everyone riding a hog.
        sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
          Lots of teens have well developed sense for absurdity and hypocrisy, and like to tweek people for it. Mad magazine is aimed at teens. That kid might have been silently teasing everyone riding a hog.
          I wouldn't count on it. An *acquaintance* of mine has a new Heritage and has HD crap all over his Toyota Tundra. But then he's a hard core R.U.B. Poser and is proud to admit it.
          sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
          .................________-|___\____
          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by born2lose View Post
            I rode my 78 GS750 on a strip poker run (yes its a poker run where you only go to strip clubs, I like boobs) last year and a local MC put it on that isnt 1% but follows the same HD only theme.

Before we ventured off a few non members made comments on the old weathered GS I brought, it seems they were concerned with its reliability.

After the first stop we lost a bike due to a break down. Can you guess the make of the bike that had troubles? Thats right it was a HOG, I to was surprised.

So off to the second gentleman's club. This time two bikes had problems and would you believe it they were both MURICAN.

But of course the show must go on. So we get to the third "bar-o- sin", this time all were accounted for. But while standing outside enjoying a cancer stick I got into a conversion with some Harley folks. And they were impressed with the GS and its apparent reliability and performance. But they also felt the need to point out that it had a torn seat and dents in the tank, rust on the frame ,corrosion on the aluminum wheels, grime on the engine etc. So I pointed out that the guy who was riding this bike that had so many problems also had the hottest chick on the back (she's impressive and why she got with my greasy mess is beyond me so I just go with it) and it can and has out performed bikes 30+ years its junior and cost less than 10% of these other bikes. We had a laugh.

But I also learned that they have more respect for riders of metric bikes or non Harleys than they do for weekend warriors. Or posers, they considered posers guys on faux Harleys (i.e. Shadows, V-stars, etc) that dress and act like they are card carrying members of Sons of Anarchy.

The moral of the story, we had fun. I am looking forward to this years event. If things go according to plan *Knocks on wood* I will be on my restored and slightly modified 78 GS and I can explain built is better than bought and they can shiver in the shadow of my magnificence.

You wanna talk about a funny sight.

My cousin has been riding harleys for 30 years, ex derby-car racer. And he brought a ninja 600 to a NASCAR race...to go bar hopping! He was wearing his HD leathers with a full-face helmet and combat boots, he just kept doing burn-outs at every traffic light, absolutely hilarious. It was a total piece of crap, but it ran good...he loved that thing more than most of his harleys.

Comment

In all fairness, they aren't as bad as they used to be. Not much more I'd want to say about it.

Comment

While scanning E-bay for Royal Star turn signal grilles I came across this tank.
                I can hardly believe this thread is still here.
                Hope this brings a chuckle!

Comment

Originally posted by tfb View Post
                  Agreed, H*rleys are fairly ridiculous motorcycles by-and-large. Only exceptions in my book are the V-rod and any Buell.
                  Anyways, if the machine brings someone joy, then I'm not going to sling too much mud.
                  But why O why do most of these 'men' need to (i) have massive attitude problems, and (ii) wear neoprene 'skull' face masks? I simply cannot take any man seriously who is wearing a Halloween outfit.
                  The OP commented (in 2013!) that it was a problem with the clowns, not their unicycles. It didn't seem to be his intent to bash harleys.
                  Suzuki GS550; Kawasaki H-1E, GPz900; Honda MT250, CB400F, CB550, GL500, CBR929.

Comment

Definitely bikes for the poser crowd, followed closely by the folks who won't buy anything if it's not 'Murican. Hell, even Sonny Barger has said they suck. He rides a Victory these days.
                    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                      ...even Sonny Barger has said they suck. He rides a Victory these days.
                      Is that true?!?

Jeez, what is the world coming to when the "maximum Hell's Angel" doesn't ride HD?
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                        Is that true?!?

Jeez, what is the world coming to when the "maximum Hell's Angel" doesn't ride HD?
                        Why is that a surprise, some Bandios around here ride Victories as well, including the new Indians.
                        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

It doesn't matter what they ride; they're still criminals, the lot of them.
                          Suzuki GS550; Kawasaki H-1E, GPz900; Honda MT250, CB400F, CB550, GL500, CBR929.

Comment

I've owned and used a plethora of suzuki gs motorcycles, 4 gs 850s, 1 gs550, 3 gsx 400, 1 gs 450 t, 1 gsx 250, 1 gs 650; i've also owned and ridden hard, used 3 harleys, an fxrs 1340, an 1100 sporster and an 883 sporster: i can honestly say that i wouldn't give you tuppence (2pence) for a gsx,far too fragile, too many valves: the gs shafties are stupendous motorcycles, strong and reliable,
                            What then is the appeal to me of a harley, here's a list, at 53 years i dont feel the need to do 100mph everywhere anymore, the engines are (mostly to date) air cooled, there's only one carb, only 2 cylinders, hydraulic tappets, 2 valves per cylinder, it's a pushrod engine, everything is so accessible...
                            what are my resevations about harleys, stealability, too many thieving b*****ds willing to steal and sell as parts your p+j..too many people willing to buy stolen parts. Belt drive is lovely, but breaks without any prior warning, trying to source an alternative to genuine was a nightmare.
                            Chain drive on such motorcycles, heavy touring machines is ludicrous, though the 'o'ring chain AND oiler did well impress me with it's durability on my 1100 sporster
                            ALL OF THEM are fantastic motorcycles, i loved my harleys, i love my gs's, but it all comes down to what suits you, i dont polish my motorcycles, they are tools, i've had one harley owner appalled by the road dirt and corrosion, he'd done 800 miles in 3 years, i did 13000 in 9 months, Vintage Japanese Motorcycle owners tell me that such a 'classic' machine deserves to be looked after. Change the oil, plugs and filters, get out there and ride it, it's what they were built to do

Comment

I've owned and used a plethora of suzuki gs motorcycles, 4 gs 850s, 1 gs550, 3 gsx 400, 1 gs 450 t, 1 gsx 250, 1 gs 650; i've also owned and ridden hard, used 3 harleys, an fxrs 1340, an 1100 sporster and an 883 sporster: i can honestly say that i wouldn't give you tuppence (2pence) for a gsx,far too fragile, too many valves: the gs shafties are stupendous motorcycles, strong and reliable,
                              What then is the appeal to me of a harley, here's a list, at 53 years i dont feel the need to do 100mph everywhere anymore, the engines are (mostly to date) air cooled, there's only one carb, only 2 cylinders, hydraulic tappets, 2 valves per cylinder, it's a pushrod engine, everything is so accessible...
                              what are my resevations about harleys, stealability, too many thieving b*****ds willing to steal and sell as parts your p+j..too many people willing to buy stolen parts. Belt drive is lovely, but breaks without any prior warning, trying to source an alternative to genuine was a nightmare.
                              Chain drive on such motorcycles, heavy touring machines is ludicrous, though the 'o'ring chain AND oiler did well impress me with it's durability on my 1100 sporster
                              ALL OF THEM are fantastic motorcycles, i loved my harleys, i love my gs's, but it all comes down to what suits you, i dont polish my motorcycles, they are tools, i've had one harley owner appalled by the road dirt and corrosion, he'd done 800 miles in 3 years, i did 13000 in 9 months, Vintage Japanese Motorcycle owners tell me that such a 'classic' machine deserves to be looked after. Change the oil, plugs and filters, get out there and ride it, it's what they were built to do

Comment

My wife's cousin rode with the Pagan's in Jersey, and she has been known to opt that "...Men are Pigs..."

To which I oft opined "...No, Pig's are smarter..."

That is my "White Noise" to be added to this thread...

Comment

Working...
                                X