No announcement yet.

Stoopid In The Smokies on a KLR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To anyone contemplating this trip: Include a ride on The Snake from Shady Valley to Mountain City, TN if possible. PM me in advance and I'll join you if my schedule permits. I've been here since '92 and still haven't gotten tired of these roads.
    Willie
    Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
    '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
    '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
    '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post

Dan and Debbie spend a couple months in Terlingua TX near Big Bend National Park in the winter and take some of their bikes to rent. I'm hoping to go out there in February and ride for a few days. Dan raves about the area as a 'must-ride at least once' place.

Thanks,
      Joe
      I'd be up for that... It's only 1200 miles away

February is a no-go for me. I'll be on lock-down due to imminent arrival of little feet.. I imagine my riding year next year is not going to offer too much in the way of long trips!

Maybe 2013....
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

A dual sport has been on my wish list for a while now and stories like this aren't helping a bit! Have a lead right now on a DR650 but the money gods aren't cooperating.
        sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
        2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Looks like a heck of a region to dual-sport.
          But you trailered ??
          The KLR's should have been able to do the ride and back.
          Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
          2000 Kawasaki Concours
          Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Originally posted by crag antler View Post
            But you trailered ??
            No doubt they would have done the ride to and back but 200 mile slab runs aren't a dual sport's forte. Just like I love riding my SV in West Virginia but have no plans to ride it up there.

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by crag antler View Post
              But you trailered ??
              The flesh is willing, but our vacation time is severely bruised and weak... plus, the days are far shorter in late October.

Getting there or back in one day involves 450+ miles of slab for me, and around 600 miles for Tim & Wazz. A KLR can certainly do that, but not before dark in late October. And taking the slab means you bypass hundreds of miles of outstanding roads.

In the summer, we generally take two days to make the trip south, and usually, in order to conserve our meager rations of vacation time, endure the brutal all-day slog back north.

As it happened, it rained hard the whole day Wednesday, so we didn't feel too bad about staying dry in the truck.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

#21 Today, 07:09 PM bwringer The flesh is willing, but our vacation time is severely bruised and weak... plus, the days are far shorter in late October. As it happened, it rained hard the whole day Wednesday, so we didn't feel too bad about staying dry in the truck.
                Yes the 600 miles is possible in a day on a KLR but as Brian mentioned that would have been two days of 600 mile slab days for Greg and me. Besides per Brain we are are now the "Trailer Kings".

82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
                81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
                83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
                06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
                AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

Indeed, anyone who trailers a trailer is King like.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

That looks like so much fun it should be illegal. Probably is in some states.

Thought I was getting a DR 650 from my friend was excited about getting some dual-sport riding in. Turned out he had a GR 650 to get rid of. Thoughts of dual sporting still rattling around.

Comment

You essay is stunning! Thanks you so much for sharing.

Comment

I rode 566 miles the day after I saw you guys at Bruce's. Only half of it on the slab (incl route 108 and other scenic stuff).

It took me about 11 hrs incl lunch etc but was a long day.

They definitely are capable but I would prob not have wanted a long ride the next day.

I'd have trailered in your situation given the chance too
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                        X