Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dave Davis memorial rally

in Farmington, Mo.

Never to early to start thinking of this event as these are some of Missouri's finest roads freshly paved for us of course.

I will call to see if there are any weekends that are already planned for other special events but so far I am thinking of 9/8--9/10 or 9/15--17 or 9/22--24. August is also a possibility albeit it might be a bit warmer than September. Only weekend in Aug I can see as workable would be 8/25--8/27.

Of course these are all Thursday through Saturday with check out on Sunday.

Thoughts???????
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Just talked to the front desk and was told they have plenty of rooms available at this time for any of the 4 weekends I asked about.
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Hard for me say right now. Would love to come back to the Ozarks and ride with y'all. I'll keep an eye on this thread and see if I can make it work. I think September might be better than August.
      Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
      Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Would love to go back to MO, but a 7.5 hour drive, makes it seems unlikly. If I did, September for sure.
        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
          Would love to go back to MO, but a 7.5 hour drive, makes it seems unlikly. If I did, September for sure.
          Bring Nardy with you and y'all could share the driving duties. I know, fat chance of prying Joe out of the terrific roads you guys already have.

I think for me at least, the best weekend would be 9/15--17. Cooler by then maybe.
          Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

So ride.

Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
            80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post

So ride.

LOL, Don....Sure, it would only take me three days.

Comment

Count me in! Just tell me the dates and I'll show up somehow, some way,.......... on something. Love me some Missouri sweepers, I do!
                Ron
                When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
                1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
                1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
                1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
                1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

LOL, Don....Sure, it would only take me three days.
                  I didn't know you had a Sportster.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post

I didn't know you had a Sportster.
                    Well Don, it's not the bike it's me.

I am currently fighting two different types of arthritis, although I am only 66.
                    It all started about 7-8 years back with psoriatic arthritis, which caused the joints in my my hands to swell up and hurt.
                    After some time on chemotherapy drugs, I went on a very expensive modern drug two years ago, (Otezla, as seen on TV.)
                    And the other, osteoarthritis, there is very little they can do to help, so I live with it.

At Brown County I managed to ride for five hours due to changing my right hand grip, but it totally messed up my throttle control.

Comment

Well Don, it's not the bike it's me.

I am currently fighting two different types of arthritis, although I am only 66.
                      It all started about 7-8 years back with psoriatic arthritis, which caused the joints in my my hands to swell up and hurt.
                      After some time on chemotherapy drugs, I went on a very expensive modern drug two years ago, (Otezla, as seen on TV.)
                      And the other, osteoarthritis, there is very little they can do to help, so I live with it.

At Brown County I managed to ride for five hours due to changing my right hand grip, but it totally messed up my throttle control.
                      Actually, Bob, I knew you didn't have a Sportster. I was of course pulling your chain.

Bad thing with the arthritis. I have multiple damaged and non oem body parts myself. You know though that touring miles are not the same as twisty miles. With a throttle lock and/or cramp buster you can ride straight highways for lots and lots of lots of miles with little hand stress. If I had to grip throttle all the way I would definitely not be able to do the Jacksonville--Bedfiord runs.

If you do the cramp buster though mount it on the INSIDE of the throttle grip, not the outside as you usually see pictured. Inside is much safer. I prefer one that I fashioned myself out of a hose clamp.

Long term you might be a good candidate for one of the Honda DCT models to give your clutch hand a break in traffic and in twisty riding. I test rode the NC750 model during Daytona last spring and felt it could serve just about any kind of riding I would want to do, At 60mpg+ it was tempting but I am not getting enough ride time in right now to justify another bike. .

Challenge is the mother of improvisation.

Nature bats last.

Comment

I'm thinking 9/15-17 is in a good place as far as distance from Labor Day (for those few of us who are still working stiffs, it's much easier to scavenge a few days off when it's not close to a holiday) and from the early fall rainy season. IIRC, when we did the Dave in early October, Friday was rainy.

I will do my best to make an appearance either way.

The distance from my house is 320 miles, about five hours, of pure interstate suck. Even a two-lane route across southern Illinois just adds a couple of hours without reducing the suck factor by much, although the ferry across the Mississippi at Ste. Genevieve is pretty cool if it's running. I've tried and tried, but there's just no way to make crossing the featureless wastelands of western Indiana and Illinois not suck.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                          I'm thinking 9/15-17 is in a good place as far as distance from Labor Day (for those few of us who are still working stiffs, it's much easier to scavenge a few days off when it's not close to a holiday) and from the early fall rainy season. IIRC, when we did the Dave in early October, Friday was rainy.

I will do my best to make an appearance either way.

The distance from my house is 320 miles, about five hours, of pure interstate suck. Even a two-lane route across southern Illinois just adds a couple of hours without reducing the suck factor by much, although the ferry across the Mississippi at Ste. Genevieve is pretty cool if it's running. I've tried and tried, but there's just no way to make crossing the featureless wastelands of western Indiana and Illinois not suck.

That's what trailers were invented for. So you can pull them along behind while you sit in the cool of you air-conditioned vehicle and play some favorite tunes or listen to a book on radio or do whatever else it is to make the boring slab more enjoyable.

I used to be of the mindset that one should only ride the bike to these events --- that is until I became an old fart that has to travel a minimum of 6 hours to get to the crooked and steep roads we all love to ride so much.
                          Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

I so wanna do this, but we have one of our big every five year anniversary trips going on in September. I doubt I can make it. Such a shame. I haven't missed on of these since I shattered my clavicle.
                            Dogma
                            --
                            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                            '80 GS850 GLT
                            '80 GS1000 GT
                            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I personally like the 9/15-17 weekend as well. Count 'em up, that's 3 for the weekend of 9/15--9/17.
                              Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Working...
                              X