Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2022 Brown County Indiana GS Thang, 6/9-6/12, 2022 - SAVE THE DATE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2022 Brown County Indiana GS Thang, 6/9-6/12, 2022 - SAVE THE DATE!

Greetings, gentlecreatures of supreme velocity and exquisite taste!

I've had a few queries, so I'll share the dates chosen for the next Brown County Indiana hooraw this June.

Thursday, June 9, 2022
    through
    Sunday, June 12, 2022

As is tradition (or what passes for tradition), this is the weekend preceding Father's Day.

Obviously, uh, external factors may intervene. But June 9-12, 2022 is what we'll plan and hope for.

Please do not call or pester the Rosemount -- I'll be managing the rooming list as usual, and I'll be getting in touch with past attendees a few months ahead of time. If you're new-ish, and/or coming from some far land, mention that here or get in touch with me.

One twist this year is that a massive multi-year construction project is underway nearby in Mitchell, so hundreds of workers are lodging in hotel rooms in Bedford and elsewhere. (The Rosemount is full, but Jay is clearing the decks for us.) If you prefer other lodgings, start looking and reserving early.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

One of these years I won't have a schedule conflict with this...
    '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

I'm in. Non-negotiable.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Count me in, it's hard to pass up a good time! 👍
        My Motorcycles:
        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
        79 1000e (all original)
        82 850g (all original)
        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Glen (dorkburger) and I have a tentative plan to attend this year, and we’re very excited about it.

I didn’t want to reveal this tentative plan until I talked to my Sister-in-law about it. As she was leaving after thanksgiving dinner (my famous deep-fried turkey), I asked her about this van she has.

I knew her late husband (passed a year ago, June) had some type of vehicle that he regularly used to haul motorcycles. I didn’t know any specifics about it. But she told me tonight it’s a 2018 Dodge Promaster high roof van. Basically, this: https://www.kbb.com/ram/promaster-ca...h-roof-van-3d/
          Cargo compartment is separated by a solid divider from the driving compartment. Very secure. She is sure that he hauled at least 3 motorcycles at a time with it. Has front wheel chocks and ramps. The best part: she said I could use it whenever I wanted.

There will be logistics to work out. He may ride from NJ to my place in central PA, we load up here, share the 10 hour driving time to southern Indiana. The stars are starting to align.

With recent events at home and depending on the stability of certain family members (which I just wrote exhaustingly about earlier) we should be able to work everything out. Fingers crossed.

I’ll have to talk to Glen about the hotel, see if he wants to share a room, if that’s possible.

Can’t wait.

Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I’m in again this year
            sigpic
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Counting the days! (During a snowstorm!)
              Ron
              When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
              1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
              1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
              1982 GS1100E
              1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

I made myself a promise last year...I'll be there.
                Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                  Glen (dorkburger) and I have a tentative plan to attend this year, and we’re very excited about it..
                  Good. Good. Great!

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Yep, On the calandar.

Son (who has attended a couple time before) is saying he is planning on it, and looks like we have my SonInLaw enticed as well.
                    And we can all tolerate another Tiger1050 and another FJR.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                      [SIZE=2]Glen (dorkburger) and I have a tentative plan to attend this year, and we’re very excited about it.
                      Excellent, most excellent. It'll be great to meet you.

Or if I've already met you and completely forgotten, I apologize in advance... I do that sometimes.

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                      Yep, On the calandar.

Son (who has attended a couple time before) is saying he is planning on it, and looks like we have my SonInLaw enticed as well.
                      And we can all tolerate another Tiger1050 and another FJR.
                      Excellent. And as you well know, we're not organized enough to keep anyone out.

It's weird how things go in waves; some years we were in danger of becoming a Triumph rally, now Yamahas seem to be multiplying.
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I already spoke with Brian about this and will provide more information in the coming days but it's been 13 years (this will be our 14th) since Jay started hosting this annual "Thang". I am considering making a thank you gift (GS related mantel clock) for Jay but since I have only attended since 2014, I don't have a lot of good pictures of previous years to include with the gift. Brian already provided me a link to some of his but I'd like to ask for pictures from anyone who has attended the rally since 2009. I will choose one picture for each year to include on the clock and though they don't need to be super high-quality, they may need to be reduced in size depending on the final clock design. If anyone would like to pass some to me, please email them or a good photo hosting site link to my cowboyup3371@yahoo.com address. You can also send me a PM here.

I will start working through the design this week and try to post a couple of ideas for your approval shortly. The design will include the ability for anyone attending the rally in June to sign the back.

One final note, there will not be a cost to anyone as I already have most of the materials, but donations would obviously be welcomed. Please reach out to me if desired.
                        sigpic
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks, Scott!

For anyone else who might be interested, here are some links to past rally photos scattered around my server. Our first year at the Rosemount was 2009; before that we lodged at the Sleep Inn in Columbus for a while.

For the first few years, we just sort of gathered at the gas station in Nashville, and everyone figured out lodging separately. In 2005 or 2006, we "semi-organized" some rooms at the Sleep Inn in Columbus. It was expensive and somewhat unfriendly, so Griffin and I did some hunting for a cheaper, friendlier, older "motor court" sort of place, and found the Rosemount in Bedford in the fall of 2008. 2009 was our first year at the Rosemount, and it's been our home ever since.

We experimented with the dates many times (Mother's Day was kind of a disaster... turns out my Mom was the only Mom who didn't give a hoot about it, so not a lot of people showed up), and really never found anything close to ideal until the Southeast GS Rally in Robbinsville, NC sort of fizzled out. That was always held in June, and later on we moved the BC rally to June, finally mostly settling on the weekend before Father's Day. Nothing works for everyone, of course; since so many weddings are in June, we interfere with lots of weddings and anniversaries. But the weather odds are much better in June than mid-May, and so far it seems to work.

More blasts from the past found in a quick rummage through my server:

BC 2004, which I'm pretty sure is the first GS rally I attended. I think there was a one day gathering in at least one previous year.

I think this is Tim's 1982 GS850GL complete with ORIGINAL rock-hard Dunlop tires, LOL. He's still the only owner.

He scared the wee out of himself at this very rally, in fact, and finally invested in new tires, suspension, etc.

My G850G still wearing the plastic Vetter headlight bucket. Ryan's 550T is pretty dang sweet.

BC 2006:

Galena, IL, October 2006:

Features my VX800 before I crashed in April 2007... sniff.

I've always loved this shot of Painter Dave. Plasterdog is a hell of a photographer.

North Carolina 2005 & 2006:

Last edited by bwringer; 01-17-2022, 10:38 AM.
                          Eat more venison.

Comment

I'm in! Can't wait.

Scott...great idea to demonstrate our appreciation of Jay and his hospitality. And a clock is always a great gift. Can't wait to see your design ideas.

See y'all there.
                            Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
                            Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Count me and the fizzy in.
                              Current Bikes:
                              2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Working...
                              X