1981 GS G Cafe Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS G Cafe Build

Work in progress. 1981 Suzuki GS850 G. The guy i bought the bike from says it did start but about 2 years ago. Ive started with a mono shock conversion and getting most of the parts i need to get her running. I have new headlight indicators ignition etc. Ill be mounting all of that in the next 2 weeks. So while im busy doing the wiring I was wondering if you guys have any advice before i start her up. Ive seen if a bike stands to long the clutch plates might stick together. Should i open her up first or try get her started as is and take it from there. Thank You !

IMG-20230131-WA0014.jpg

IMG_20230101_184152.jpg This is how I got her.

Comment

That swing arm has no trusses from the shock back. that's a lot of stress on the length of the arm. It could crack right at the point where the shock is, on the swing arms. You might want to build up a truss. See pic below. I did this quick and dirty, but you should get the idea.

TRUSS.jpg

Comment

Kenny Rogers? Did you used to play a gay cowboy on TV?

Just kidding, welcome to the site!
        Last edited by Rob S.; 02-01-2023, 12:59 PM.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

So mean!!!!

Welcome to the forum Kenny G.!! I hope you looked at the picture closely. With dimensions, or really sharp orthogonic (left, right top) pictures, I could draw you out a blueprint. I have designed many trikes and bicycles, yes, human powered, but it's harder to designed something light weight. In any even, there are many ways you could gusset up that swing arm. If your bike is in neutral, it won't move. It should never be left idling that long, and for any amount of time, put a huge floor fan in front of it.
          Last edited by Suzukian; 02-01-2023, 02:49 PM.

Comment

"Ive seen if a bike stands to long the clutch plates might stick together. Should i open her up first or try get her started as is and take it from there. Thank You !"

My personal experience with a bike that has been sitting for a while is to go ahead and get it running and worry about the possibility of stuck clutch plates at that time. The clutches in most old GS's are very robust and over engineereed. I've even had ones that slipped when first back on the road, get much better after an oil change and adjustment. Just my .02!
            Ron
            When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
            1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
            1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
            1982 GS1100E
            1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

As noted, two years may not be a big concern on the clutches sticking. Mine sat for12 years... they were quite stuck. I'd be more concerned about the carbs...
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

You could try to start the bike as is and see what's what.
                Small risk, but doing so could damage stuff you might have noticed by checking the engine.

With history unknown you are going to have to do the maintenance so why not now you have great access to everything.
                Take off oil pan hoping not to find water, sludge, debrees, parts fallen down there through the cam chain tunnel ...
                Take off clutch cover and take out clutch plates. I encountered broken clutch plates and bent steels, loose clutch hub centre nut, etc.
                (i was glad i did not start that engine, i was tempted to ...)

With the carbs and exhaust off, look at the valve stems, hope not to see rust.

Check valve lash, hope not to see damaged cam lobes or other issues.
                Clean the carbs per the manual https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/bikec...rb_rebuild.pdf​​

Measuring compression is not going to tell you the complete truth because the rings may be sticky and produce values below
                what you expect but it will tell you if there's compression on all cylinders.
                Sticky rings usually improve during the first 300 km driven.

i see pods so write down all current settings - which size jets, jet needle number and clip position, mixture screws number of turns out, etc when disassembling.
                What brand are the pods ?

Check out the Newbie mistakes link, it holds a lot of accumulated experience.
                Last edited by Rijko; 02-01-2023, 04:29 PM.
                Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                Bikecliff's website
                The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Thank you all so much for the responses, much apreciated! Looks like ill be opening her up first then. Ill definitely be adding some gusstes at the back. The pods i got from my local motorcycle store, it says JWBP on the box it came in not much other details other than the size. I do live close by the ocean so rust is possible. It looos like she was storred well, all the openings were closed up with either cloth or custom plastic covers. Ill be adding more pictures as i go to hopefully avoid headaches at the final part of the build. Again thank you all for the feedback! Much apreciated!

Comment

IMG_20230202_080114.jpg
                    So the shock is from a 2008 R6, i used the shock and linkage system. Shes mounted at the bottom to my frame then mounted to the swing arm then mounted to the frame at the top again. I haven't cleaned it up yet all ive done so far is get it at the right angle for the shock to do its job properly. So it looks very bad at the moment but please bare with me till its cleaned up. That flat bar there i still have to clear out a half moon for clearance etc.

Comment

A former poster here (South Park?) has delineated a rather simple method for freeing a "stuck' clutch without opening it up, using just the torque of the running engine (and the clutch lever, brakes etc.).

Of course, this does not work 100% of the time. And you do not know, apparently, with certainty, the history of the bike. So good luck, and keep those pics coming.
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenneth_G_Rogers View Post
                        Thank you all so much for the responses, much apreciated! Looks like ill be opening her up first then. Ill definitely be adding some gusstes at the back. The pods i got from my local motorcycle store, it says JWBP on the box it came in not much other details other than the size. I do live close by the ocean so rust is possible. It looos like she was storred well, all the openings were closed up with either cloth or custom plastic covers. Ill be adding more pictures as i go to hopefully avoid headaches at the final part of the build. Again thank you all for the feedback! Much apreciated!
                        Those pods are el cheapo ones that may work..... usually they do not.
                        The material used sometimes is paper-like so will work when in dry weather but may clog up in damp weather.
                        So you get the bike running right sometimes and the next day it wil not run ok.

K&N and APE for instance are very good but quite expensive.

If you run into tuning issues, these pods may be the reason.
                        With good pods the bike will run very well, but never as nice as with the original airbox...
                        Pods have the advantage of looking nice, sound is nice, carbs are easy to take off and mount.
                        Disadvantages are the bike will be more sensitive to rain and wind from the side.

Just some info to keep in mind when deciding what to do while tuning.
                        Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                        VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                        Bikecliff's website
                        The Stator Papers

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post

K&N and APE for instance are very good but quite expensive.
                          Apes were 1/2 the cost of K&N when I bought 9 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post

With good pods the bike will run very well, but never as nice as with the original airbox.
                            Not never. I sprang for a professional builder/tuner/racer to jet my carbs on his dynomometer. It ran more than 'nice'.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post

Not never. I sprang for a professional builder/tuner/racer to jet my carbs on his dynomometer. It ran more than 'nice'.
                              You're one of the exceptions Rob.
                              Probably not the first time you've heard that
                              Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                              VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                              Bikecliff's website
                              The Stator Papers

Comment

Working...
                              X