Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lorenzo View Post

tkent02
    tell me exactly how do you expect to turn a 2,77 power2weight ratio machine, maybe shaft driven, designed and engineered to offer a more than decent transport, in a wide spectrum of possible uses (chasing twists, touring two up etc.) into a rocket, by hacking at some brackets or just tell me what, maybe the pillion footrest, the horn, what?
    If I want a rocket I'll buy a rocket. If I want to whack some crap off an L I'll do that too.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I chopped an ounce of metal off my bike. The rest was either plastic or bolted. After that, the seat I wanted to have, fit. I have not hacked off stuff that would prevent it from being restored but only because I wouldn't want to make it irreversible unless it were a professional job. I'm no metal-worker. Perhaps I would benefit from some threads about that. The previous owner welded different shock mounts to lower the bike. I'll take my cafe threads wherever I can find them, sub-forum or not.

Comment

I chopped an ounce of metal off my bike
        o-my-gosh you gonna be in the 1ounce% league...
        Last edited by Lorenzo; 06-06-2015, 03:08 PM.
        GS1000G '81

Comment

o-my-gosh you gonna be in the 1ounce% league...
          Haha, well that's not counting the air-box, battery box, 4-2 exhaust, rear fender, gas cap cover, pegs/linkage, and seat that just unbolted.
          Last edited by Guest; 06-06-2015, 03:14 PM.

Comment

what was wrong with the battery box?

Ooh one of those Hi-power condensers, or a gel battery...
            Last edited by Lorenzo; 06-06-2015, 03:23 PM.
            GS1000G '81

Comment

what was wrong with the battery box?

Ooh one of those Hi-power condensers, like I got (on the RG)
              Didn't need it. I relocated the battery and electronics to a tray under the seat with the exception of the electronic ignition module that is frame mount.

Comment

would a brat be considered a "cafe" or will we be the new bastards or the forum?

Comment

Oh, for the record. I dropped my L 21mm on the front forks and I truly cannot tell the difference between it and my E. I really don't get the hang up Tkent. Unless you just have a thing for grudges

Comment

Originally posted by chucksuki View Post
                    would a brat be considered a "cafe" or will we be the new bastards or the forum?
                    Heh, a "Brat Bastards" forum does have a ring to it.

Comment

Originally posted by GSCafe View Post
                      You're right! I'm in!

Comment

Originally posted by GSCafe View Post
                        An Inglorious one, for sure.
                        ---- Dave
                        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

lorenzo
                          tell me exactly how do you expect to turn a 2,77 power2weight ratio machine, maybe shaft driven, designed and engineered to offer a more than decent transport, in a wide spectrum of possible uses (chasing twists, touring two up etc.) into a rocket, by hacking at some brackets or just tell me what, maybe the pillion footrest, the horn, what?

Check out my page and tell me if the bike I have now, isn't faster, better handling than the bike I stared with!
                          thats exactly what I'm doing, making it a purpose machine, I'm sacrificing comfort for performance!
                          I have no interest in owing a modern rocket, think there ugly and to fast for 95% of the people that own them.
                          nobody seams to have a problem with someone anding 75lb of comfort things to a motorcycle (that herts performace).
                          but As soon as someone removes 25lb everyone is up in arms?

Sorry for that tkent02
                          Last edited by Guest; 06-06-2015, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chucksuki View Post
                            Oh, for the record. I dropped my L 21mm on the front forks and I truly cannot tell the difference between it and my E.
                            No, I just can't imagine why anyone over 4'3" would buy an L. You drop your forks and it magically fixes the tiny fuel tank, the unsteerable handlebars and the worst seat ever designed for a motorcycle? That's all good to know, but did it get rid of the chrome too?

I hate chrome.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

When I had the L I ditched those buckhorns toot sweet, couldn't do anything about the tank, could live with the chrome, but I kinda liked the seat from a comfort standpoint. It was 'f-u-g-l-y' but it was great to sit on.
                              "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

All This Talk About Laverne

Originally posted by Allie View Post
                                When I had the L I ditched those buckhorns toot sweet, couldn't do anything about the tank, could live with the chrome, but I kinda liked the seat from a comfort standpoint. It was 'f-u-g-l-y' but it was great to sit on.
                                My "T" came with an "L" seat and it was rather ugly looking but very comfortable. Now that small tank is very odd...it's so noticeable and an eye-sore.

Wait, why are we talkin' about Laverne on Cafe thread?

Ed
                                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                                Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Working...
                                X