No announcement yet.

Eclipse 2024

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't look up, look around. There will be plenty of pictures following the event to look at, toss your Bonnie Tyler LP on the turntable and flip through them.

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
      For me the most impressive thing about totality is what the birds do. Listen.
      That's one of the reasons I'm (now) planning on going to see it. Pictures may be cool and all but being there and experiencing something is a whole 'nuther ballgame!

Besides, as of last night I decided to accompany a lady on a quick trip to Colorado, I'll stash the bike and trailer somewhere along the way and grab it on the way back

1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post

That's one of the reasons I'm (now) planning on going to see it. Pictures may be cool and all but being there and experiencing something is a whole 'nuther ballgame!

Besides, as of last night I decided to accompany a lady on a quick trip to Colorado, I'll stash the bike and trailer somewhere along the way and grab it on the way back
        Enjoy. It's a little far for me to go. Saw one in Vancouver in 2017 or thereabouts when visiting our son.
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I bought glasses last year in case I decided to go. The fewest miles of travel to its path for me is the southern Indiana area which is also where I am from and where I have frequently visited for the Brown County ride.

I have decided however out of respect for all of the other people in that area who want to view it that I will not attend and therefore allow at least a chance of a clear day. For me to traverse those 750+ miles to a totality site would be to guarantee a completely overcast sky, possibly rain and thunder. Such is the curse of my meteorological power.
          Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
          80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

My family's place in NY is in the path of totality, but April weather up there is a total crapshoot. My brother and I are going to make the call Sunday afternoon where to go to beat the weather. We can't convince anyone to go with though. Some have seen a partial and think they're seen the real thing. It's almost as hard to convince them of what they're missing as to convince someone to change religion. GO SEE IT, FOOLS!

Last time I spent 5 bucks on the Solar Eclipse Time app. That was the 2nd of two phone apps I've ever pair for, and it was well worth it. It will announce to you all the major points of the event you need to be aware of, like when it's safe to take the glasses off, and when to put them back on. The YouTube channel Smarter Every Day put together a viewing guide webpage with links to helpful videos (other phenomena to observe during the eclipse) and the app I mentioned.
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I was just outside the center of the path last time

The shimmer at totality is really something
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Things aren't looking good weather wise for the southern portion of the totality, glad I didn't take the bike and stash it as planned. Unfortunately it doesn't look like I'm going to get a chance to experience it. After four and a half non stop days on the road I'm not going to do a 900 mile run on the bike up to Indiana!
                1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

So far weather is saying partly sunny and 57° in WNY. Partly cloudy would be better. We're having some family and friends over for a cookout and I have some fireworks for the heck of it. Hopefully the dern snow will melt before Monday.
                  2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                  82 gs1100L probably the next project
                  1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                  1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
                    I bought glasses last year in case I decided to go. The fewest miles of travel to its path for me is the southern Indiana area which is also where I am from and where I have frequently visited for the Brown County ride.

I have decided however out of respect for all of the other people in that area who want to view it that I will not attend and therefore allow at least a chance of a clear day. For me to traverse those 750+ miles to a totality site would be to guarantee a completely overcast sky, possibly rain and thunder. Such is the curse of my meteorological power.
                    Somehow. I can't get excited about a 900 mile trip to view a momentary beam of darkness in my day. Maybe enter a bright room at night and turn the lights off and then on instead. lol
                    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I'm getting ready to rock this eclipse thing!
                      Now they're saying cloud cover could effect a lot of the viewing area.
                      ​​The best chance for me is to go west, I'm thinking around Tiffin Ohio. Plus it's a lot of farmland, I should be able to pull off somewhere.
                      The temperature will be 65° 70 so I'll be able to take the motorcycle, so that will be nice.
                      I'll check in tomorrow afternoon with my thoughts.

My Motorcycles:
                      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                      79 1000e (all original)
                      82 850g (all original)
                      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Grrr. We've got clouds. Not perfect but still might be able to get a glimpse or two of totality. It'll still get dark.
                        2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                        82 gs1100L probably the next project
                        1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                        https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                        1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

The lookin' is lookin' goooooooooooooood here in Indy!

Today's traffic predictions range from "a little busy" to "full Mad Max apocalyptic". Reports from the last eclipse were that hundreds of miles of interstate highways afterwards turned into parking lots for 10-12 hours as a few million people tried to get home all at once. We're used to huge events around here, but this is the hugest by all accounts.

Or maybe it'll be no big deal?

I'm a little torn; I'd like to go into the office, about 20 minutes of city streets from my house, and see the thing from a nearby park. Just sounds fun to be around some other people, and maybe there'll be a science teacher around to explain things. By the time I go home, in-town traffic shouldn't be too terrible. But maybe it's better to stay home and grab a couple of lawn chairs in the front yard. Not sure yet.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Won’t see anything here in Victoria but I’ll never forget watching the last eclipse here in 2017 with non other than the late great Wes Cooley. He had brought glasses with him in preparation to watch it at my house.
                            How cool is that?

No signature

Comment

It was soo cool to be on deals gap for the last one in 2017. That was all luck...

This year setting up events at here at work (Middlebury College). I'm shutting the operations down and offering an hour and a half of paid time for my folks to see and take in the event.

Only a minute of totality here which is fine, It's going to be a mad house trying to get my daughter from daycare then heading home on route 7. At 4PM... Totality is slated for 3:20 here.

Safe viewing!
                              Jedz Moto
                              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                              1988 Honda GL1500-6
                              2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                              2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                              2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                              Originally posted by Hayabuser
                              Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Welding helmet and cellphone ,all I had available LOL

20240408_135728.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X