Pic of the week game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
    That would make a cool print to hang in your garage! BTW, I was not too far from you last summer down in Conwy, Wales.
    Nice part of the country on holiday /visiting relatives?
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Comment

20120913-10.jpg Here is my entry, took a ride with Sandy and Rich up to the local park look out at sunset.

V
      Gustov
      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
      81 GS 1000 G
      79 GS 850 G
      81 GS 850 L
      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
      80 GS 550 L
      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
      2002 Honda 919
      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
        Friday, May 4, 2018
        2:38 PM

Thanks for the Kudos. This weeks subject is going to be a little different. Rather than a specific subject it's going to be some sort of special effect. It can be something like special lighting as a sunset, silhueotte, backlight, different camera angle, etc. Jedz photo of last week would be good example or some of the sunset shots from weeks past. Photos can be reused. I'm off to visit the grand daughters for the weekend so if this subject is a little weird I can come with something else on Monday.

by soates50, on Flickr
        NOW THAT IS STUNNING!!!!
        Awesome Picture...
        Jedz Moto
        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
        1988 Honda GL1500-6
        2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
        2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
        Originally posted by Hayabuser
        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Toughie... This one was one of the first action pictures I tried playing with lighting, color and selective blurring and contrast... A too add action to a still frame.
          Jedz Moto
          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
          2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
          Originally posted by Hayabuser
          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Wow. I thought this weeks subject might have been a little over the top. The photos submitted so far are proving otherwise.
            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by fastbysuzuki View Post
              Nice part of the country on holiday /visiting relatives?
              Yup, I have a son who lives further south, but borrowed a car(with steering wheel on wrong/right side!) and my wife and I spent days driving around England, Wales and Ireland. Like to get back there again to venture up to Scotland next time. I happened to met up with a bunch of vintage bike riders meeting outside the castle in Conwy. Nice riding roads everywhere! Visited Norton's Donington Hall factory too.
              Last edited by Guest; 05-07-2018, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
                Yup, I have a son who lives further south, but borrowed a car(with steering wheel on wrong/right side!) and my wife and I spent days driving around England, Wales and Ireland. Like to get back there again to venture up to Scotland next time. I happened to met up with a bunch of vintage bike riders meeting outside the castle in Conwy. Nice riding roads everywhere! Visited Norton's Donington Hall factory too.
                If you come again on the way up to Scotland try a visit to Devilsbridge (Kirby Longsdale Cumbria) big bikers meet
                better on a Saturday as not to many there, Sunday is really busy (the local council has made the car park Bikes only on Sundays)
                There is another decent meet at Glasson Dock near Lancaster I live in Fleetwood Lancashire only to happy to meet up if you come back.
                The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
                1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                past bikes. RF900
                TL1000s
                Hayabusa
                gsx 750f x2
                197cc Francis Barnett
                various British nails

Comment

Vince, I immediately thought of your picture when the subject for this week was given. I still remember when you posted it a while ago and I still think it’s a wonderful shot. Gonna be a tough week to decide...
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                  -Rusty old scooter.
                  Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                  https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]54881[/ATTACH] Here is my entry, took a ride with Sandy and Rich up to the local park look out at sunset.

V
                    Great shot. Was that from when we all went up to the state park for the sunset shots or did you go back and do it again?
                    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Yes Sandy was when we went to the state park, here is the other shot.20120913-04.jpg
                      Gustov
                      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                      81 GS 1000 G
                      79 GS 850 G
                      81 GS 850 L
                      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                      80 GS 550 L
                      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                      2002 Honda 919
                      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Entry.
                        Not any photo-shopping (other than cropping).
                        This is how the light came thru the lens and tickled the photocells.

Note 1: Yes, THis kind of silhouetting can be done on smartphone camera by selecting which area of the frame to adjust the exposure to, knowing other elements will then be underexposed.

Note 2: I took several shots of this. For more general purpose audience would beter like the shots with wider view (so see more of wheel) and further down so see less pavement and more sky is in view. But I selected this shot for you SuzukiGS heads because you will recognize it is a wheel from the spoke pattern and because I purposely aligned the slots of the dual discs so see them (thru them) so you recognize is brake disc. To align the slots from the two disc required being quite a ways back, have camera in just the right position, so then didnt have many options for composing the view of the beach/pier/sunset.

Note 3: Well, Grumpy ol' guy Crab #1:
                        To me photography is what one does with a camera, and maybe can include making the print as part of photography.
                        What someone does with a photofile using some photo editing software, well, to me anyway, that is photo-editing, photo manipulation.
                        I would not want to say that any photomanipluation should be diss-allowed. SOmetimes I may manipulate a photo to copy over to remove some distracting element (like I concidered copying over that sign/post in this picture, but did not think it was too much of a distraction).
                        Just stating my opinion (from an old guy whos first camera didn't even have a light meter and had nothing requiring batterys). Not suggesting any changes to this photo game/contest. But judging highly edited/manipulated/produced images (where the editing is the main element, the main object of the photo) is rather difficult next to, well, next to photos.
                        Garsch... am getting to be an ol' grump.
                        I suppose is somewhat like stock bike verses cafe-bobber.
                        Okay, I am over it.
                        All interesting photos, er, um, ah, images here.

Last edited by Redman; 05-09-2018, 11:48 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                          Note 3: Well, Grumpy ol' guy Crab #1:
                          To me photography is what one does with a camera, and maybe can include making the print as part of photography.
                          What someone does with a photofile using some photo editing software, well, to me anyway, that is photo-editing, photo manipulation.
                          I would not want to say that any photomanipluation should be diss-allowed. SOmetimes I may manipulate a photo to copy over to remove some distracting element (like I concidered copying over that sign/post in this picture, but did not think it was too much of a distraction).
                          Just stating my opinion (from an old guy whos first camera didn't even have a light meter and had nothing requiring batterys). Not suggesting any changes to this photo game/contest. But judging highly edited/manipulated/produced images (where the editing is the main element, the main object of the photo) is rather difficult next to, well, next to photos.
                          Garsch... am getting to be an ol' grump.
                          I suppose is somewhat like stock bike verses cafe-bobber.
                          Okay, I am over it.
                          All interesting photos, er, um, ah, images here.

Well Dave, I would counter that with the fact that all digital photos taken by a modern camera or phone have been "developed," (unless you shoot RAW format).

Your camera, or phone, makes adjustments to the RAW file, color, white balance, sharpening, noise reduction, and even special effects if you push the right buttons, and you get a finished JPG, generally.
                          Now what a lot of us do, is shoot in RAW, and just do the same thing in Lightroom or ON1. That gives us the control, instead of the camera.

DNR/Panoramic photos, changing out the sky, removing unwanted things, changing to black and white, etc., is just taking it to another level. (And it can be fun)

Back in the dark room days, negatives were manipulated to change the final print. Dodging, burning, etc. No difference.

Remember, no matter how we create the image, it is all about composition and light.

Ohhhh....voting tomorrow...
                          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Ok, this has nothing to do with bikes but weird things are happening with my camera phone. You're right Bob, our digital cameras are definitely changing the images we capture. I use the panoramic setting to catch larger images and sometimes it just gets weird. My entry this week is one example, and here's another I took a couple of days ago.

I need to replace this shower door and took a panoramic shot, moving the camere from side to side. The image looks like two separate photos pieced together.

Roger

Current rides
                            1983 GS 850G
                            2003 FJR 1300A
                            Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

It actually stiches MANY pictures together, but evidently you were going vertically, when you should have been going horizontally to get that result.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                                ..... ...... ..... ... ..
                                Bob, I have no real argument with you or anybody. My only point is that if the image is more a product of using manipulation techniques, then the image is a good example of the persons manipulation skills. And is kinda hard to have such compared to a photo.
                                But doesn't really matter here, is just a fun game. People vote for what ever they like for whatever reason.
                                I enjoy seeing it all.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
                                X