Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plastic underbody panels on cars... What are they good for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dpep View Post
    So noise reduction or streamlining? Does anyone know if they are present on electric cars?
    Battery packs in EVs are extremely well armored against punctures. Puncturing lithium battery packs can lead to some very fast, intense, and nasty fires. Tesla uses a titanium plate, and others probably do as well.

The battery pack is placed as low in the vehicle as possible. So, most of the bottom of an EV is just a flat metal surface, the armored bottom of the battery pack container.

EVs also have plastic panels around the suspension, bumpers, and other components for aerodynamic efficiency. And of course this reduces wind noise as well as drag. Some even have suspension components with added fairings, or the components themselves are sometimes shaped for aerodynamic efficiency.

Noise outside the car isn't really an issue with EVs. However, some (like Teslas) use tires that have a sort of foam donut inside to reduce tread noise. Without an engine, you can hear the tires roll and it can be annoying. And all EVs pay very careful attention to aerodynamic noise as well as drag, and cabin soundproofing in general. When there's no engine noise to mask things, people have different expectations for how quiet their car should be.

For a few years now, EVs have been mandated to make a noise at low speeds to alert pedestrians. If you're walking through a parking lot, for example, it's pretty startling and obviously somewhat unsage when an older Tesla just starts moving silently. They generally make an assortment of weird electronic noises.

So far none are using the Jetson's flying saucer noise as they should... I think some Tesla models can fart. Or maybe that's the horn. In any case, there's a fart noise you can choose in some models.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

My '82 Z28 came with "ground effects" body parts (plastic under the doors). According to GM, "pulls the car closer to the ground at speed."
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
        My '82 Z28 came with "ground effects" body parts (plastic under the doors). According to GM, "pulls the car closer to the ground at speed."
        I had an 82 Z28. Black with tan interior and gold ground effects. I remember installing Cragar window louvers.

One of these days I should write down all the vehicles I have owned and when........probably not.....

Comment

All of our Subarus (4) had them and never had a problem with them coming off in the winter and yes they went through a number of windrows left by the snowplows. They were mounted quite well and even had a little access panel to get at the oil filter. Kept the engine compartment nice and clean as well.
          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Just finished up ripping the last of the plastics bits out of the car. Did the oil while I was under the car ( a little early). Brisk out there! -1'F when I came in to warm up.
            Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
            2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
            Originally posted by Hayabuser
            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
              All of our Subarus (4) had them and never had a problem with them coming off in the winter and yes they went through a number of windrows left by the snowplows. They were mounted quite well and even had a little access panel to get at the oil filter. Kept the engine compartment nice and clean as well.
              The only issues I had with Subarus were head gaskets, ball joints, struts, wheel bearings...

The EJ25 is just a POS but I could do a HG swap with my eyes closed. My Girlfriends all drove Subies so I got ALLOT of practice.

However one of the best cars I ever owned was my 1994 Subaru Legacy (EJ22). I bought it off my best friend and we put 140K (240K miles) on that car and it just wouldn't quit.
              It was FWD too!
              Jedz Moto
              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
              1988 Honda GL1500-6
              2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
              2020 Honda Monkey Z125
              2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
              Originally posted by Hayabuser
              Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Vmass View Post
                I had an 82 Z28. Black with tan interior and gold ground effects. I remember installing Cragar window louvers.
                Mine was the limited edition Pace Car replica. I had it a few weeks before the Indy 500.

image by Bob Wayne, on Flickr
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

"One of these days I should write down all the vehicles I have owned and when........probably not....."

Raised poor & driving cheap junk I cannot remember all the cars I owned. I bought cars back in the 60s as low as 45 bucks, and 250 was a pile for me. The most expensive car I owned back then was a 1960 Olds convertible that cost me 1500 and required a loan with a cosigner. I can think of no less than 21 cars by the time I was 21 years old. I had a 55 & a 56 Chevy at the same time, a 55 & a 56 Ford at the same time, a 64 & a 66 El Camino at the same time. Mind you these were all on their last legs, but still....

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
                    "One of these days I should write down all the vehicles I have owned and when........probably not....."

Raised poor & driving cheap junk I cannot remember all the cars I owned. I bought cars back in the 60s as low as 45 bucks, and 250 was a pile for me. The most expensive car I owned back then was a 1960 Olds convertible that cost me 1500 and required a loan with a cosigner. I can think of no less than 21 cars by the time I was 21 years old. I had a 55 & a 56 Chevy at the same time, a 55 & a 56 Ford at the same time, a 64 & a 66 El Camino at the same time. Mind you these were all on their last legs, but still....
                    Lol....at 21 cars by 21 you certainly have me beat! At 14 years old I started working at a gas station in town, stayed there all through high school. Shortly after starting work I bought my first street bike for $600, a 1976 CB550, bought it from a nurse. Two days after turning 15, I went and got my permit.

Later that year I bought my first car which was sitting at a different gas station. It was a 1973 Road Runner with a pistol grip shifter. Every piece of glass was broken and the wiring was trashed. The gas station I worked had helped me out a lot with getting it road worthy.........to keep this on topic.....no plastic panels were found under the Road Runner, although my new retreads didn't stay together for too long.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                      Mine was the limited edition Pace Car replica. I had it a few weeks before the Indy 500.

image by Bob Wayne, on Flickr
                      Another reason to delete the 80s from history. As ugly as the corvette in that period.
                      1983 GS 550 LD
                      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

And to think that thing replaced the beautiful orange & white "69" Camaro pace cars.
                        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                        X