I found this snowmobile at the dump!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steel Toed Tank View Post
    It has a shot head gasket so oil ends up in the coolant.

Tank
    Just a thought... The oil filter housing adapter 'gasket' could be leaking between the block and the adapter allowing engine oil into the coolant.

Are you sure it's engine oil in the coolant and not transmission fluid?
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
      Just a thought... The oil filter housing adapter 'gasket' could be leaking between the block and the adapter allowing engine oil into the coolant.

Are you sure it's engine oil in the coolant and not transmission fluid?
      You must own a 4.6 and or a Thunderbird/Cougar!
      I scoured the TCCoA (T-bird,Cougar club of America) forum using the search feature and I learned that the chances of this 4.6 having a pooched head gasket is about the same as "the chances of finding leprechauns in Alaska"
      Pretty much everyone knowledgeable posted back to those who asked, the very same advice you just gave me!

I'm only going by what the PO said, and we all know how trustworthy the PO's can be.
      I will be going through this car from front to back much like my GS and sled, so I know I will find what the issue is.
      That would be great if it's not the h/g, as pulling the heads on these is supposed to be a real PITA.

Thanks for the advice Rusty!

Tank

Comment

Originally posted by Steel Toed Tank View Post
        You must own a 4.6 and or a Thunderbird/Cougar!
        Nope... I work at a Ford dealer.

You're welcome Tank.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Nice, my best bud does too!
          In fact that's the Ford dealers tow truck we borrowed to get the car home.
          The shop is also a Sterling truck dealer, and so he works on the heavy truck side.
          Which means I get full access to the shop after hours, and parts at cost plus 10%.
          I can't argue with that.

Tank

Comment

Great find!

It amazing how much snow you guys out west have, Ontario is not seeing much at all..

Comment

I am jealous that you have snow. I have a brand new 2012 Yamaha Apex sitting in my trailer waiting to be ridden. I have had @25 sleds in my years and love riding.
              I also agree if you think a motorcycle is a rush get on a 150 hp snowmobile with a 15inch by 36inch footprint for traction and hang on!!

Comment

Yeah last winter here there wasn't much snow all winter, but it was COLD!
                This year the snow came quick, and it's cold enough that it stayed.
                Right now we have 'freezing fog' rolling through, that one's new to me.

Yesterday I think a bearing on the final drive end of the drive train failed.
                I managed to get it home but it was getting dark by then so I haven't inspected it yet.
                When I turned the drive pulley by hand I could hear the crunchy grinding of metal on metal.
                Luckily all bearings through out are standard sizes and are readily available at minimal prices.
                Which is a good thing because any parts for this that are 'Arctic Cat only' are insanely priced.

Tank

Comment

Nice score on both. Good things DO happen to good people. Check out vintage sleds.com for parts. It's the best place to find ANYTHING old for these vintage sleds.

I checkout the sites just to day dream about getting a 1977-78 TX 440 free-air.

Oh, what the hell is up with all that snow??? It's only November.
                  1979 GS850G
                  2004 SV650N track bike
                  2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                  LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Originally posted by tas850g View Post
                    Oh, what the hell is up with all that snow??? It's only November.
                    Lol, we've had snow for over 3 weeks now!
                    I live pretty far north though.

Tank

Comment

Great story. We don't have much need for those in ALabama. But I have seen folks use them in water......not sure if that is cool... but they did it.

Comment

Originally posted by stain View Post
                        I am jealous that you have snow. I have a brand new 2012 Yamaha Apex sitting in my trailer waiting to be ridden. I have had @25 sleds in my years and love riding.
                        I also agree if you think a motorcycle is a rush get on a 150 hp snowmobile with a 15inch by 36inch footprint for traction and hang on!!
                        Yes that is a handfull , I have a ZR800, piped shaved heads, clutched and V-force reeds, 192 studs, cluth dynoed at 166 hp, that is faster 0-120 then my old GSXR1100 was, I use to run it in the local radar runs in the 800 -900 open class and could put down consecutive runs 94-98mph in 660ft . I won that class a few times.
                        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

dude that's a great little sled. i got the same one and for free too.

they could use a little more power though. mine tends to bog down in the deep stuff or going up a steep hill. but they kick @ss on curvy trails. i can actually pass the big new sleds there.

we've only got a couple inches of snow so far. hoping for a good winter. last year sucked.
                          2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                          82 gs1100L probably the next project
                          1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                          1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Youll never get it to run right or have any power with that pod!! LMAO...I just couldnt resist.
                            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                              Youll never get it to run right or have any power with that pod!! LMAO...I just couldnt resist.
                              Actually Chuck 2 stroke sleds don't even need a air cleaner , no dust, they use an air box for noise levels and so they don't have a direct line to ingest sno dust which in the case of to much it can and will crack pistons. I run nothing but a power breather which is just a big open box on the ZR 800. Not as picky as our beloved GS's. makes it hard to switch mind frames with the seasons.
                              1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                              80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                              1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                              83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                              85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                              1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                              “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                              If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Nice one Eli!
                                I haven't found any spots that it won't go yet, but then again the snow isn't too deep or soft, and there's not a lot of hills!

They are both right Chuck, the 'air box' on these is called 'air silencer assembly'.
                                I'm currently running it without any kind of filter at all!

In a bit of good news, a close inspection of the sled showed me that the brake disk came loose on the shaft, that's what was making all the noise, bearings are all still good!

And good news from the t-bird too.
                                I checked upper and lower rad hoses, thermostat and coolant res and I cannot find any sign at all of oil ever being in the cooling system.
                                Next week I'll be picking up the parts I need to get it running and I'll find out whats leaking, and from where.
                                I learned Ford recalled the all plastic intake manifold that mine has due to hairline cracks developing and leaking coolant.
                                Good replacement upgrade manifolds are available for around $200 including gaskets, so even if mines not cracked or leaking I'll be replacing it anyways.

Tank

Comment

Working...
                                X