No announcement yet.

I found this snowmobile at the dump!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

for giggles, pull the starter apart. its probly just needs a good cleaning and a set of brushes.

Comment

I used a wrench to turn the starter gear back and forth and it's easy to tell that the inside of the starter has completely grenaded.

I found replacements on ebay for under $100 shipped so I may go after one of those soon. For now all my money will be tied up in getting this T-bird running and on the road.

Tank

Comment

If I was looking for a used sled, I would look hard at the rear suspension. It is common for all the pivots on the rear swing arms to seize. This will tear holes in the tunnel and/or make the bolt holes in the tunnel and slider rails over sized. Its easy to drill some plates and rivet them over the holes in the tunnel. The slider rails will be toast, and brand new ones are high priced.
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Good advice!
          Replacing my slider rails on this sled would run me almost $400 with shipping.
          Although don't confuse that with the slider wear strips, which I could replace for under $50.

Tank

Comment

Originally posted by Steel Toed Tank View Post
            For now all my money will be tied up in getting this T-bird running and on the road.

Tank
            How are the roads anyway? Can the plows keep up with the snow fall?
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Well mostly we just learn how to drive on the snow and ice.

There is plows mind you, but things like salt are never used.
              It gets far too cold here for salt to be affective.

Usually motorists pack the snow down on the road, and it becomes almost like a rough ice pack.

It's really not bad to drive on with the proper snow tires, Posi, and ABS brakes, lol.

Oh yeah, we also have studded snow tires.

Tank

EDIT: Also, we have very dry winters, there is snowfall, but because of the extreme cold and our geographical location, the snowfall doesn't usually amount to much, and what does fall gets blown around very easily.
              Last edited by Guest; 11-12-2012, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Get below -40 or so, and neither snow nor ice are all that slippery any more. c or f. I've spent years in the arctic and sub arctic.
                Last edited by 850 Combat; 11-15-2012, 01:05 AM.

Comment

That is true, it's when it warms up to near freezing that things can get slick.
                  But if you always drive on stuff like that, then it doesn't seem hard to do it safely.

On another note...

I got the plugs, wires, alternator, belt and a new battery with warranty for just under $300.

I got home, got it all installed and the car fired up to an incredibly smokey mess.
                  It runs very quiet and very smooth.

I let it heat up to temp and I and my Ford mechanic friend could not find anything wrong related to what the PO had said.

No oil in the coolant, no coolant leaks, no oil leaks, heck not even a check engine light!

It needs pads and rotors all around for sure as the rotors are REALLY rusty, but after that he said to just drive it and see what pops up.

I checked through all the lights, all the climate control functions other than AC, all the power windows and locks, the stereo, the remote start and everything and it all works perfect!!

I'm pretty stoked, I just had to tell someone, lol.

kijiji rules!

Tank

Comment

What was the smoke from? Did it dissapate and stop?
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I don't know if I mentioned it but last week I tried turning over the motor by hand and found it was seized.
                      I pulled the plugs to get a better look and one wasn't threaded in, just sitting in the hole and covered in a bright orange rusty fur.
                      I mixed up a little diesel and oil and dumped a splash in each cylinder.
                      After letting it sit I tried a few more times to turn it by hand and it still wouldn't budge.
                      Just as I was about to give up I hooked up a battery to it and bumped the starter a couple times, finally breaking the piston free and getting it turning.

On top of that, I had drained the tank of the 5 year old gas, but not the fuel rails.
                      So as soon as it fired up it had to burn through some crappy old fuel.

The old gas sure didn't look healthy at all, but it didn't seem 'varnished' like I have seen with old fuel before.

My buddy took a video of it as it smoked out my entire garage with a nasty acrid smokey smell, lol.
                      I'll post it as soon as I get it.

First time it has ran since the early fall of 2007!

Comment

Hmm, I know when I had a Yamaha sled many years back it was cheap and easy to find most parts for it.
                        I ripped the track off it and rolled it down a hill causing beyond repairable damage, but before that it was a very nice sled.

I have owned a single cylinder elan and a twin elan, both 250cc and the twin was a lot better. It had more torque and got to top speed faster with me on it.

If you are after the rare, classic, restoreable, collectability factors then the mercury for sure.
                        If you want something to ride a lot and beat on and not have to worry so much about stuff breaking, then go for the Yamaha.

Personally I would go for the one in the best condition while taking into consideration the availability and price of consumable parts.

My first choice when I first read your post was the Enticer, but ideally I'd want to look over both sleds for track, suspension, ski, slider/bogey and body wear, as those can be the most costly things to fix.
                        Production numbers would dictate the availability of used parts, and you can be sure there was many more yamahas made.
                        But then again having a classic and rare sled in great running and riding condition comes with all it's own rewards too.

lol, I hope I was some help!

Tank

Comment

....and hood latch brackets.......It has electric start (hense the 'Deluxe' in the name) but the starter is pooched, so getting a new one is on my to do list....

Tank
                          Dude, your such a high roller. Electric start, and proper hood latch brackets on that old of sled?

Elbow power, and Bungee straps sound about right to me.

I'll even flip the bill for the straps.

Comment

Personally I would go for the one in the best condition while taking into consideration the availability and price of consumable parts.

Tank
                            Thats actually why I chose the fan cooled Fuji 488 powered Indy Trails. Of course, I'm not a collector, I just want cheap and reliable. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to afford it.

So many parts interchange on those Indy's.

Comment

how's the jag running mr. steel toe?

we've had a reasonable amount of snow this year, finally. i was out riding with some of the local hillbillies yesterday. i can't believe the old piece of junk is still running. i had to buy brake pads the other day and the container they came in was covered with dust. dude said they were the last ones he had.

2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                              82 gs1100L probably the next project
                              1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                              1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Ha! I just bought brake pads too.
                                I haven't gotten a starter for it yet so I haven't ventured too far from home on it but it's fun to blast through the ditches with.
                                Until the last week or so I haven't ridden much as the temps were COLD. like -30 cold.
                                It's been warmer though staying just below the freezing point so I've been taking advantage of it.
                                Pretty sure I need rings soon and I lost air/fuel mixture screw spring somehow, so I need one of those too.

Comment

Working...
                                X