No announcement yet.

1971 Yamaha XS1B (XS650)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+100 on the no chopping! That bike is worth far more stock and truly is collectible. I would be thinking frame off cleanup and reno. That is a gem my friend. Lucky you and thanks for sharing.

Spy

PS. Go over to the XS650Garage, the only other forum like this one. Cool bunch of guys.

Comment

My 1974 TX650A (the XS prefix only started a couple of years later if memory serves) was one of the bikes in my past I wish I had been able to keep. It was a truly honest motorcycle. Great sound through the stock pipes, wonderful torque, manageable handling and beautiful appearance. I loved just spending a Saturday morning shining it up before my afternoon ride.

If this find of yours had happened for me, I'd be clearing long-term living space somewhere in my shed for it right now.....

Comment

Do NOT modify that bike. Just clean it and get it running good. It's very rare to see examples of stock XSs in that shape.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddevill View Post
          Do NOT modify that bike. Just clean it and get it running good. It's very rare to see examples of stock XSs in that shape.
          I was thinking of buying a sawzall later today and just start hacking. You know, rigid frame, open pipes, jockey shift, no front brake. Totally "Bad A$$".

Comment

Just cut away anything that doesn't look like a piece of schit.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

My first street bike was a '72, with the disc brake. It would occasionally go into huge speed wobbles if you went fast enough. Very scary.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

RUSS...If the carbs are like mine on the TX750, the jets are in the bowl. If the bowl is full of scale, throw them in the berrymans for at least 2 days. It took SIX (6) cycles in a sonic cleaner JUST to get them out on the TX. Also be sure you have the cover gaskets IN HAND before you touch a single bolt.

The sync ports are a 5MM thread so you may have to borrow some or get them from Z1.

I would do just what I am doing to the TX..clean it up and repaint what needs it, polish the covers, service the forks etc etc and youll have agreat bike and a REALLY BIG eturn for a full stock runner. Theres a cult following form those that is friggin ridiculous!!!!!! If we may ask...how much coin????
                Last edited by chuck hahn; 01-25-2013, 11:57 AM.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Same exact carbs as the TX..soak the bowls to get the jets out. The main is under the biog nut at the bottom.

To do a real clsoe hand sync what youll do is this:::

Observe that there are 2 idle screws you loosen the jam nuts at then grip to adjust them. Touch the one on the left with your finger and WATCH the one on the right. Turn the grip and youll be able to see the one and feel the other as you start to turn the grip. If one moves before the other, you adjust that cables turn buckle till youve got them both starting to move in SYNC with each other.

Then you will be able to adjust the idles with the screws. The proceedure as called for in then TX maual is as follows..

Turn the idle knobs in till the engine is at 2500 RPMS and sounds smooth. Unplug the left plug and turn the idle knob down on the right carb till the bike stalls. Pluig in the left plug and restart the bike. Unplug them right plug and turn the left idle down till the bike stalls.

this is a close factory set and guages will tell the rest of then story.
                  Last edited by chuck hahn; 01-25-2013, 11:56 AM.
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    My first street bike was a '72, with the disc brake. It would occasionally go into huge speed wobbles if you went fast enough. Very scary.
                    First bike I ever took over one-hundred miles an hour.
                    I didn't do that again on that bike.
                    I learned a lot about working on bikes with these models. I swapped out motors, heads and everything you could think of.
                    Easy peasy.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                      First bike I ever took over one-hundred miles an hour.
                      I didn't do that again on that bike.
                      Because I didn't own my '76 XS650 very long I never did top it out, maybe took it to 90 or so, so I find it interesting about the high speed wobbles and such. Perhaps that's why I'm still here.
                      sigpic
                      Steve
                      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Russ...MIKESXS is a great parts source as well.

Comment

She lives! Not a hint of smoke either which was nice. Guy riding is my mechanic buddy who owns a shop. He was making sure I didn't screw up too bad when tearing down/cleaning carbs. Will still need choke cable, a proper rebuild of carbs, petcock rebuild, electrical work etc. But engine seems to be in decent nick.

Just a trip around the parking lot after getting the XS1B running.

Comment

Have you done the valves and checked the timing yet? Points are under the covers on the sides of the jugs..but i guess you already knew that.

She sounds strong.

Comment

Nice! Makes me wish I'd moved heaven and earth in 1978 to keep my own '74. I recall at the time a mechanic telling me those engines were well-built. The sound out of those pipes was classic 360 degree British twin.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                                Have you done the valves and checked the timing yet? Points are under the covers on the sides of the jugs..but i guess you already knew that.

She sounds strong.
                                No Chuck the plan was just to show that she ran. Will go on ebay this weekend. Will make a really nice survivor or outstanding restoration platform for someone.

I need $$$ for powdercoating/anodizing/fab work, etc, etc, etc for the Kat resto-mod. . Should be done with mock up this week.
                                Last edited by Guest; 02-27-2013, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X