Kz 650b1..austin moto fest auction bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks mighty dang fine to me, Chuck.

A tip for the future: For tiny, raised surfaces (like on this panel), use blotter paper (sorta like chipboard) in lieu of brushes. Coat one side of the paper with paint —maybe a couple coats as blotter paper soaks fast— then gently marry the treated paper to raised surface; apply straight down, flat, no side-to-side action. Don't "squeegee" or anything... just press ever so lightly. Also be wary of the paper curling when it takes on paint; gluing it to a piece of slat helps keep it all nice 'n flat.

Takes a couple tries to perfect. Have used this method on old car restos.
    '80 GS1000ST
    '92 ZX-11
    Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

i use a VERY fine paint brush used for model making, the actual brush is about the width of a pin. needs a very steady hand!
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Looks better at a foot than it does in the pics really. camera seems to embellish the reality. I think if you have a jewelers loop and some steady hands, you can simply crisp up the edges. Guess you could strip them and give the paper thing a try too.

Ive never heard of the technique you describe...youll have to teach me!!!
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I don't have a rock steady hand Adrian..nor a good eye loop to magnify the letters. These suckers are small!!!
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

When I get good enough to pinstripe the azz of a fly, then I will be a qualified expert.

Comment

Frank...now that I have moved, please be sure to keep the nbuild thread aliveand the pictures of the progress posted . There have been quite a few following along as we resurrect the old girl.

You got the ball now buddy. God speed and looking forward to being another "follower" as it were.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                Frank...now that I have moved, please be sure to keep the nbuild thread aliveand the pictures of the progress posted . There have been quite a few following along as we resurrect the old girl.

You got the ball now buddy. God speed and looking forward to being another "follower" as it were.
                The baton is passed, and scattered.

Portions of the little Z are distributed betwixt my garage, Tom's new shop, and JBR's den of pushrod lumps... in hibernation for time being. Once coffers fill again —and the one who is known as "boss" has her new curtains— build will commence.

Thanks for the hand, Chuck, and will definitely keep project thread alive as things happen. Once wheels are laced, forks and shocks rebuilt, and various suspension bits are secured (hello Z1), the roller will live at the Co-op. There'll certainly be a few build sessions with the hops collective this fall, and hopefully project will be ready for auction come next spring.
                '80 GS1000ST
                '92 ZX-11

Comment

I know it is not much but with no parts to donate to your project i do have a copy of this Cycle magazine.
                  Frank, if you are interested p.m. me your address and i can send it out.

2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Chuck: Can I ask what has happened to this project?

Comment

Bump

Anybody know about this bike? It was supposed to be a rebuild project that was being donated to charity. I think it was to be offered this spring. Something like a raffle, I think.

Comment

Frank...Just had to take a stroll down memory lane today......LOL

Comment

Hey Chuck, what ever happened with the KZ650? I donated a horn to your project. Should not the 2014 event already taken place? Some pics of how the KZ650 turned out? Inquiring minds want to know!

Comment

We need an update from Frank. Oh Frank, where art thou?
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Frank is now the owner of Total Rider. Its a company that does the MSF courses down in Texas. He has been up to his azz in alligators and very busy, thus never got to reassembling the bike.

He called me a few weekends ago and we got to talking about the bike and we struck a deal for me to buy the bike from him for what the has into it as of now. The wheels have been replaced with new spokes and Randy Voet has the engine doing rings and a top end refresh far as I understand things. So soon as I get Frank settled up with on the bike and I get word From Randy whats going on with the engine I will be heading down to Austin to pick everything up and start the reassembly. Then save money for decals and paint.

Comment

KZ 650 update:
                                After 8 months of aging in the shop's closet (like green wine), the baby Z1 is moving to the OK State, where Chuck will begin assembly... and become the proud new owner!

Back story: I, along with biz partner Michael S., acquired an MSF school in January, and free time quickly got cut in half... and in half again. Then, picked up a new client (Kosman ), and what ever remained of free time shriveled up and died. We had hoped to produce the 2nd annual Austin Moto Fest this year, when/where the KZ would be auctioned off for charity —thus completing the mission— but alas, that vision is currently off the map.

Good news is that Chuck has already worked on the bike, and has an appreciation for this particular model (see July CMM for feature article), and will certainly revive this thread in proper fashion. Engine is undergoing a full sort from master Jap bike dude, Randy V., who also laced and trued the wheels.

Thanks to nejeff for the donated horn. Steve, I'm sure Chuck would appreciate the Cycle mag article. And, thanks to all for the continued interest in the project. These little Kaws are only gonna go up in value (seems to be a trend among most all KHI livery ) and I understand they're a kick in the arse to ride.
                                '80 GS1000ST
                                '92 ZX-11

Comment

Working...
                                X