No announcement yet.

'91 dr650

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally, something I know more than (some of ) you guys !!!

After owning several XL600R, and XR650R, here's "the drill". ( May be slightly Honda-specific)
    Step 2: disconnect and remove that stupid auto-decompression cable attached to the kicker.
    Step 3: slowly kick it until you feel the compression stroke. ( use decomp-lever as needed)
    Step 4: kick a little more, until you are just after TDC on power stroke. Re-set kicker.
    Step 5: Commit to it. If you have a XL600R, put your right hand on the cross bar to insure you do NOT twist the throttle while kicking.
    Step 6: ride the rear tire into the sunset.

Yes, I skipped step one: re-jet carb, and install RickyStator. My XL600R started with your a$$ in the seat, minimal effort. That DR's 26 yr old stator is not up to the task...+
    +
    EDIT: does the Dr run without a battery installed, like the XL / XR?
    Last edited by exdirtbiker; 01-27-2018, 09:24 PM.
    1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
    1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
    1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
    Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

Comment

It lives!

Up date: I cleaned the carb two weekends ago, but I've been busy with other peoples bikes. I got the carb in last Friday night and tried kicking it, but it was like before. A whole lot of nothing, so I had to let it go until this weekend.

Yesterday I finally got time to check the valves. The exhaust were so tight I had to turn the adjuster a full turn before it eased up. With them both set a .0004, I buttoned everything back up, threw on the tank, pulled the choke out and on the second kick she fired up. After warming up a little I closed the choke and adjusted the idle. It sounds alright. I didn't let it run long, just long enough to see the charging system is shot. The decomp lever isn't holding like it was before adjusting the valves, so I'll need to reset it to spec.

I have mixed feelings, I wanted it to run, but now that it does, I have to fix everything else.
      GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Ive only kicked one bike worse than a dr650... my cr480.. my buddy gave me a dr almost identical to yours.. i road it maybe 4 times.. great bike to ride, terrible to start. Its still at his shop, where it'll stay lol.
        I build Pipers

Comment

Always wanted to build something like this from one,

imageproxy by Brandon Hobock, on Flickr

On the e start engines you can get an 800cc big bore. Set up with a good carb and ported head with appropriate sized valves some have made a little over 70hp with these bikes!!! Could you imagine!!!
          I build Pipers

Comment

Originally posted by thebrandonbeezy View Post
            Ive only kicked one bike worse than a dr650... my cr480.. l.
            With the kicker on the left side of the bike???
            Been there, done that ! We had to mount the bike back-asswards, and kick in the usual swing while 2 other guys held the bike upright. Then dismount, and get on as expected ... and get traumatized by how fast it was.
            And the Honda Headshake... holy bleep... !!!
            1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
            1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
            1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
            Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

Comment

I never thought about doing it that way haha! My buddys would always kick it standing next to it but i alway fell over doing it that way. So i was basically stuck using my left foot lol. Man that thing made the end of the trail come up very very quick!! I retried the bike after finding that the left case was starting do crack where the bearings fro the trans are. My buddy can weld it. But im doing other stuff right now so yeah.
              I build Pipers

Comment

Originally posted by thebrandonbeezy View Post
                Always wanted to build something like this from one,

imageproxy by Brandon Hobock, on Flickr

On the e start engines you can get an 800cc big bore. Set up with a good carb and ported head with appropriate sized valves some have made a little over 70hp with these bikes!!! Could you imagine!!!
                An 800 SINGLE?...holy crap!

Comment

You still got it?
                  I build Pipers

Comment

Working...
                  X