My Norton is taking shape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simply gorgeous!

I am aware that it is somewhat a conglomeration of different bikes, but if you had to identify it, what year and model would you call it? 1966 I forget which model, a few early '70's Commando parts, etc?

Take as much room as you need; if you need more sheets of paper, ask the proctor.

(I know we're all dying to hear it.)
    Last edited by Rob S.; 04-26-2023, 06:34 PM.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
      Simply gorgeous!

I am aware that it is somewhat a conglomeration of different bikes, but if you had to identify it, what year and model would you call it? 1966 I forget which model, a few early '70's Commando parts, etc?

Take as much room as you need; if you need more sheets of paper, ask the proctor.

(I know we're all dying to hear it.)
      It's a '66 Norton N15CS. It was also sold as a Matchless G15CS, identical except the tank badge. It's basically the Norton 750 Atlas motor which later was used in the Commando, canted forward in that bike starting in 68 - I love Commandos but none around at the original $150 price I paid for this one...

Anyway that Norton 750 was mated to existing robust Matchless frame. Matchless had a 750 twin in the early 60s that they put in the same frame, but the engine wasn't reliable, and the Norton 'Featherbed' frame wasn't suitable for desert racing and would break at the headstock. Matchless used this frame for big singles and also the ill-fated twin. It is HEAVY. They married the two together when AMC bought out Norton.

It has a single carb conversion with a 34mm Mikuni, Electronic ignition upgrade with coil (was magneto), and front disc rim/lower fork legs/caliper from a '73 Commando with aftermarket drilled rotor and Yamaha master cylinder.

Since the paint was done on the two tanks, I didn't try to go stock. The silencers aren't stock (stock ones are ugly anyway) and neither is the seat cover, handlebars, shock style. I improvised with some parts I got here and there for the right price.
      `
      This is a good read - updated link as the first one now requires registering.

https://www.bike-urious.com/1967-norton-n15cs/

Oh, even cooler and more rare, the P11 had a Reynolds 531 frame and smaller side covers, and nice high pipes. Some guys with N15's have made pipes like the P11's. It's quite a bit lighter but the two strokes time had come and these bikes couldn't keep up in the desert any more.

Last edited by oldGSfan; 04-26-2023, 07:40 PM.
      Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
      '79 GS100E
      Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Not sure I posted this, maybe some other thread, but this is what I originally got a couple years back. Quite the journey.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
        '79 GS100E
        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Are those Duro brand tires? They look just like a set I mounted on my '72 Honda CL100. The bike is coming right along. A ton of work, for sure.
          1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
            Are those Duro brand tires? They look just like a set I mounted on my '72 Honda CL100. The bike is coming right along. A ton of work, for sure.
            They are Dunlop K70s, the design goes back a way. like mid 60s or so but compound is improved. Probably copied by a few companies. I had some Duros someone gave me with a Honda CB750, I binned them, they seemed ultra flimsy, like a bicycle tire. I don't know the specific type of Duro it was, but It not suitable, I felt.
            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
            '79 GS100E
            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Well, it does look a little different, Congrats, if it goes no farther you did great.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Funny you should mention the flimsy-ness of the Duro tires. I thought that, too, when I got them. They were the easiest tires I've ever mounted. They did indeed feel more like mountain bike tires. 2.50-18 for the front 2.75-17 for the rear. Once inflated they felt fine. The Honda CL100 is such a tiny motorcycle, I think they'll be OK. I would not mount them on a bike the size of a 750 as you mentioned.
                1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
                  Funny you should mention the flimsy-ness of the Duro tires. I thought that, too, when I got them. They were the easiest tires I've ever mounted. They did indeed feel more like mountain bike tires. 2.50-18 for the front 2.75-17 for the rear. Once inflated they felt fine. The Honda CL100 is such a tiny motorcycle, I think they'll be OK. I would not mount them on a bike the size of a 750 as you mentioned.
                  Yeah I have been levering on some tough tires lately, Dunlop K70s on those nice fresh rims, no joke trying to keep those pristine rims unblemished and not popping a tube. The Avons I put on my GS1100E and the Shinkos I put on my 1000E were a workout. The MTB tire is a good analogy, they felt just like that. My son has put thousands of miles in the last 3 years on Maxxis Minions, and it's just incredible how good they are, running tubeless. Not cheap though. Anyway yeah I think on a smaller bike I'd have tried them.
                  Last edited by oldGSfan; 05-01-2023, 09:04 PM.
                  Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                  '79 GS100E
                  Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

I got my painted side cover back, and with it the oil tank that I left with the painter for matching purposes 6 months and 2600 round trip miles back.

Now all I need to do is put the engine covers and gaskets on for good, set the timing, put the gas and oil tank on with fittings & fill, hit the valve-train with some lube and kick it till it runs. So the month of June will be fun.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                    '79 GS100E
                    Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

I'll be very interested to see and hear that.
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

"Elegant" comes to mind looking at that side cover.
                        Definitely need a video clip of it on start-up or running down the road..
                        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

You stole that bike! You've turn a piece of coal into a Diamond!

Comment

All parts are in hand now, so it's just a short to-do list. Happy with the side cover paint match. The seat is not right, need to cut about an inch of height. Weeks not months left now.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                            '79 GS100E
                            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

What a classic! The paint on that bike looks awesome, as does the engine and everything else.
                              Last edited by Suzukian; 06-08-2023, 09:20 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I got my title, registration and plate, a few hoops to jump through but given that I only had a Bill of Sale it's understandable. Took it to the CHP because it has no federal sticker (too old) and they do an FBI check. I also had to get a notarized request out to Oklahoma as the DMV found my number on 'some vehicle'. Oklahoma charged $2 and sent back the all clear. So now all I have to do is finish it and start riding it. That part is going a bit slow due to some other vehicle needs popping up.
                                Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                                '79 GS100E
                                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Working...
                                X