No announcement yet.

My Norton is taking shape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well this one is certainly 'alpha'. I mean just look at Clint on the P11! I am his size so I should look just like him. I don't have that uniform though.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
    '79 GS100E
    Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Tried chrome in a can. On a major budget so why not, nothing to lose except my health. Middle one mostly done looks 'OK'. Left the outside edges real chrome as they looked fine and will withstand mounting. Just a $10 experiment. I may lay down some 2K clear I have on hand, which will increase luster and make it last longer probably. The middle one I sprayed was slightly better than the foreground one, that was my starting point.

Filled pits with red clay, used etching primer, filler primer and finally sealing primer before the can 'o chrome. I didn't go crazy, and It isn't horrible. I can't swing the cost or re-chroming at over $200 so I may use this way. Somehow I ended up with some Commando rims, all good, but wrong size. Rear is 18" and I didn't want to go with a Commando 19.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
      '79 GS100E
      Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

I tried the same stuff on a chrome exhaust tip and it came out the same as your rim. Bright silver yes,chrome no,

Comment

Originally posted by red1100 View Post
          I tried the same stuff on a chrome exhaust tip and it came out the same as your rim. Bright silver yes,chrome no,
          Yeah it was a waste of time, it's not gonna hold up. I ordered a new reproduction rim from Blighty. I knew it wouldn't be chrome but didn't realize it would be so soft it would leave an imprint with a finger touch. Oh well, it didn't use much and I can use the rest of the can on some interior picture frames or something.
          Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
          '79 GS100E
          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Hey Tom, is that your turboed 1100E I just saw on Facebook?
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
              Hey Tom, is that your turboed 1100E I just saw on Facebook?
              Yeah it's going on Bringatrailer in a few weeks, was accepted. Took some photos for the listing the other day. Maybe the next owner will join the forum and submit for BOTM!

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
              '79 GS100E
              Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

I once painted a set of Chevy rally wheels with chrome paint. It was awful. Even though it was just for a set of drastrip tires, I couldn't leave it. I topped them off with rally wheel paint which was a more subdued shade of silver.

Good luck selling the GS. If any bike deserves top dollar, its that one. Especially with its history.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Bike of the century!
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I lashed out and got a new rear rim, and Buchanan's spokes. I also scored a pile of free parts, including a perfect front rim so I will have to re-lace it, this time with Buchanan's spokes. I have to get moving, new K70 tires arrive this weekend and I want the bike on its feet. I did some small things, like using hardware store stainless steel carriage bolts on the fender stays (about 5x cheaper an look better IMO). Starting to look like a bike, really pleased how the front disc mated up with no issues.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                    '79 GS100E
                    Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Looking ready to stand on its own feet but I am struggling with the wrong side stand and a center stand that won't mount, very tricky to install on these bikes.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                      '79 GS100E
                      Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Getting a look at how it will, err look. Seat with thinner firmer foam would help it a bit, says my son. I agree. Wrestling those tires on was nasty work in hot humid weather but they hold air and no damage to the chrome. Heavy duty IRC tubes too, which makes it even tougher.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                        '79 GS100E
                        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Very beautious. Side cover seems a trifle blank. "850"? Or "Commando"? Or bof'em?
                          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                            Very beautious. Side cover seems a trifle blank. "850"? Or "Commando"? Or bof'em?
                            Neither It's an Atlas
                            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                            2007 DRz 400S
                            1999 ATK 490ES
                            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post

Neither It's an Atlas
                              N15CS 'desert sled', has a bolted up frame from Matchless single, quite an old frame used in a lot of bikes, dates back to around 1950 I think. Very strong, the Norton earlier desert sled broke frames at the headstock. But very heavy too, has lugs for sidecar use. It makes for a good handling road bike, from reviews I've read.

The Atlas had the Norton slimline featherbed frame. Other than the frame it's pretty much all Atlas though. Forks are about an inch longer, fenders are higher. Makes it more difficult to figure out the bolts and mounts as there are really no diagrams like the Norton frame has.

Later Norton improved with a frame from the Matchless G85 single to create the P11, a lighter piece using Reynolds 531 tubing. That one is very tough to work on as it has lots of shims. The P11 is really nice and quite rare. It was mashed together in Southern California by a famous racer and sent back to the factory, they didn't change much at all. It was called the Ranger later on. When I first saw the ad I was thinking it was a P11 as I'd never heard of the N15CS.

The N15CS had a twin brother, Matchless G15CS, identical except the badge. They're called hybrids as they mixed Matchless and Norton. Some deride this as not a 'real' Norton but I don't really care. AMC bought out Norton and they built this to compete with the BSA and Triumph twins as the single wasn't cutting it.

That oil tank and the cover (which I still need to source and paint to match) is too big for symmetry, the P11 looks better. But the price was right.

https://www.motorcycleclassics.com/c...-zmtz18jazhur/
                              Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                              '79 GS100E
                              Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Towed my N15 up to my new home in Washington state and got to work again. It's now down to this one bike but am also helping to fix a friend's '67 Vespa's electrics. It's a Vietnam import and OMG but he got it free. Several tasks remain on the Norton but I got several things done already and it's inching closer.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                                '79 GS100E
                                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Working...
                                X