Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hugo151 View Post

Gsx250e

What kind of front brake caliper is that? Also, where is the front fender from?

Thanks,

Chuck
    '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
    '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
    '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
    '79 GS425stock
    PROJECTS:
    '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
    '77 GS550 740cc major mods
    '77 GS400 489cc racer build
    '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
    '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

86-7 gsxr?
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I always liked this bike.......
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

The caliper ia off an early gsxr 400 or are also on rg250 s if they had them in your country. The 750 ones are bigger. The front fender is the bones of the original with all the rusty tinwork cut off & a fibreglass shell on top.the headlamp ears have been reversed ie left one on right as they are 1" longer top & bottom the clocks dropped about 2" & bars are about 5" lower, is quite comfy to drive actually.

Comment

It was a slow process...but I'm very close to getting a long-sleeping 1980 GS450e back on the road...

2017-12-28 15.35.10.jpg
            Last edited by Guest; 12-29-2017, 02:55 AM.

Comment

The bike looks good.
              When you do get it back on the road can you give a follow-up on the RFY shocks.
              Your type of riding and weight would be appreciated.
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

@hestons - your rear fender/plate holder looks really good! Did you do anything specific (buy new or paint) to it?

Comment

Originally posted by herostar View Post
                  @hestons - your rear fender/plate holder looks really good! Did you do anything specific (buy new or paint) to it?
                  Fortunately, the rear fender was in pretty good shape to begin with (the bike lived its entire life in southern California) and I just reconditioned it using Mothers Back-to-Black. Back-to-Black is really good at restoring black plastic trim since it does not leave a glossy finish.
                  Last edited by Guest; 01-08-2018, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Hey, new to the whole motorcycle restore thing. I love the 450. Long story short. I'm hoping you can share your contacts for parts and hopefully service manuals. I have inherited a 1986 GS 450L and its in a state of confusion. My son picked it up on a trade and has since joined the Army, leaving the bike for me to deal with. I love the size and am hoping to do something with it. last owner started the Café Racer mods and then quit to sell it. the wiring is a nightmare. We have been able to get it running but I'm not sure if the gas tank that is included even goes with the '85 bike. So a Service manual would be great just to see what goes where and what doesn't belong if you know what I mean. any help you guys can give would be great.
                    Service Manual
                    OEM Parts Vendors
                    Original Pictures - indepth

Comment

@belkgd - Welcome to the forum!
                      If you post a "hi i'm new here" thread the newbie section you'll get a hello from one of the members named BassCliff. He's assembled a HUGE knowlege base of suzuki GS info, which has helped me tremendously as I've worked out the gremlins on my bike over the years... Check it out here: http://gsarchive.bwringer.com/

Post a pic of your bike here! We'd love to see what you're working with

Comment

Originally posted by belkgd@corning.com View Post
                        We have been able to get it running but I'm not sure if the gas tank that is included even goes with the '85 bike. So a Service manual would be great just to see what goes where and what doesn't belong if you know what I mean. any help you guys can give would be great.
                        Service Manual
                        OEM Parts Vendors
                        Original Pictures - indepth
                        Hey belkgd - welcome! I'm working on a 450L project as well, check it out in my signature. I'm just up 40 from you in Durham - let me know if you need any help with anything. Also - check BikeCliff's site for manuals, instructions, etc.

Comment

Inspirational photos...

Rich Graver, veteran WERA racer (Formula 500, etc):

Much more recent version of Rich's race bike:

Another project of his:

A GS400 race bike I saw posted on another forum:

I believe this is a member's bike, perhaps this is posted earlier in this thread, but I didn't scroll back recently through all 9 pages:

'79 GS425stock
                          PROJECTS:
                          '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Here is the #4 bike on my project bike list... the first two are dirt bikes, one doesn't need that much work , actually removing the museum-quality pieces off of it and fixing up some beat up body work for it... then a full restoration and modification of a 1977 PE250B Pure Enduro Suzuki. Then a new top-end on my gs750. Then this! Should be early summer...

Poor pic, but the bike in the background is my 79 GS425E that I picked up for dirt cheap, my gs750 is in front of it, I was comparing the tanks when I first put an E tank on my 750. I did not like the blue striping, so that was the first thing to go.

The 425 had been laid down in the city on both sides, shifter pedal, brake pedal, all of the lights, they are all cracked or bent. Photo makes it look much nicer! It is fairly clean other than the damage from low speed drops

Even though I like the styling of the wire spoke models better, particularly the GS400X with its speedometer and tachometer with the indicator lights built into the tach face, I had to have a 425 cylinder and head at least, for my project, as the 425 cylinder will accept slightly bigger sleeves... You see where I'm going with this?! Also the 79 models got the extra bolt at the front of the cam chain tunnel on cylinder head and cylinder to stop the early 77/78 model oil seepage (all 77-78 GS's had that issue, ans Z1, KZ1000, etc; 79+ GS's this was remedied. So a 425 cylinder and cylinder head were an absolute must on the list.

Due to a mishap on my 920cc GS750 engine, a slightly bent valve cause the mixture to be off and caused some serious detonation, ruining one piston and the head on number 4 cylinder as well. So I ended up with three good spare 72 mm Pistons. The compression height and pin size, as well as valve placements, are identical spec to the 400 / 425, 750, and 850. This was a no-brainer... I envisioned some custom pistons to go 502, or maybe 516cc, with GS450 sleeves installed in the 425 cylinders (blocks are slightly different stud spacing and deck height so they are not interchangeable between 1st & 2nd Gen GS4xx twins). Anyhow, I decided for now that I will run the 72mm 489cc setup since I have it right here... the pistons are very old school, early 1980s, a bit on the heavy side, but should do the job...

Once I get my 750 ported head back from Rapid Ray, I will be dismantling a spare 425 engine to send him the head and cylinder for resleeving and head porting. I have a hollow core set of GR650X camshafts, they are a decent performance upgrade to a GS 400 / 425 / 450. I may however have webcams re-grind them into a bigger profile, and I think Ray has me talked into going shim under bucket on this engine especially.
                            While I am going for it, if I weigh the pistons versus stock 425 pistons, and determined the big old MTC Pistons are too heavy for this balance shaft twin, then I may go ahead and have a set of JE Pistons or or Carrillo Pistons custom made... 502cc at minimum (73mm)

I was interested in going CR 31 Round slide smoothbore carbs on it, but my buddy had a set of RS 34 is with a broken slide, and slides are not available, despite most other parts on the carb being available. So like the pistons, I have three, might as well forget using it on a 4-cylinder, re-rack these with some custom shaft spacing & fuel Tee adapters, to fit the 120mm spacing on the gs425! This will not be AHRMA legal however. It will be a canyon carver and track day by primarily, but I sincerely hope to start doing some WERA Formula 500 racing with it at some point, where the RS 34 carbs would probably be allowed to slude on the rules, unless I start beating enough people and someone protests them! I'm a long way off from the podium spot on the racetrack, however. I need to attend some riding clinics and get more track time in

Here are all the parts I've amassed for this much anticipated project:

*GS450S/E tank (the sought after classic...!!!)
                            *Giuliari GS400/425 Italian aftermarket seat
                            *GS750/1000 disc brake wheels with D.I.D. MT3.50X18 & MT2.50X18 alloy rims
                            *GS500 fork and front brakes, CB1 (?) 310mm rotor, braided stainless lines
                            *GS1100E alloy triples (82-82 non-leading axle)
                            *Custom billet GS500 fork brace
                            *Fox Factory Shox emulsion versions (very rare, awesome valving, nitro charged)
                            *MAC/Kerker 2-1 exhaust hybrid (have a different gs twin 2-1 I may also use)
                            *Hayabusa rearsets (I have some billet Old School speed rearsets I may also use)
                            *Dresda style swingarm custom made ( similar to stock wheelbase, I might end up having to use a GS1100E aluminum arm that I have as this thing will not want to keep the front end on the ground, I need the extra length)
                            *early slabside GSXR underling rear caliper and hanger (not pictured, will need to turn down the diameter of this rotor a fair bit to use the GSXR caliper hanger which looks very trick)

If I do race, I have a set of Akront TC rims to use (3.00x18 rear), as the 3.50 rear is too wide to legally run in WERA Formula 500. It would be a good excuse to have a second set of wheels with dedicated race rubber on them anyhow. Because I can definitely see myself riding this bike deep in Appalachian Southeast Ohio with all of the amazing twisty roads that I have mapped out for our rides...

Last edited by Chuck78; 02-02-2018, 06:33 PM.
                            '79 GS425stock
                            PROJECTS:
                            '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

I dig these old ads

'79 GS425stock
                              PROJECTS:
                              '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Love it Chuck, thanks for posting! Are the 'Busa rearsets just the stock ones? I'd be keen to see how they mount up. My left peg is a bit bent after throwing it down the road a couple of weeks ago and when I get my Kat done I'll be refreshing the 450, been contemplating some rearsets for it.
                                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                                X