• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS400EX, Euro model.

Fun bike, love it.
    Attached Files

Comment

Chuck, cool assemblage of parts. I love and appreciate your dedication to increasing CCs and power.
      Runeight, I followed your resto thread. The bike came out beautifully.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
        Chuck, cool assemblage of parts. I love and appreciate your dedication to increasing CCs and power.
        Runeight, I followed your resto thread. The bike came out beautifully.
        Thank you very much for the kind words. I wanted to post some larger pics but with PB screwing us it didn’t happen. I use an iPad 95% of the time and still can’t get a program to work. And family medical issues.

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
          Love it Chuck, thanks for posting! Are the 'Busa rearsets just the stock ones? I'd be keen to see how they mount up. My left peg is a bit bent after throwing it down the road a couple of weeks ago and when I get my Kat done I'll be refreshing the 450, been contemplating some rearsets for it.

Darnit Pete, sorry to hear about the mishap with the bent footpeg!!!!!

The Hayabusa rearsets were appealing to me as they have a 3 point rubber vibration isolator mount setup, folding pegs, and a sacrificial little steel peg that sticks down and out off of the end of the footpeg so that you grind the sacrificial nub before you actually grind the real footpeg!

Here is the first photo that I could find on a Google image search of the Busa rearsets and passenger foot pegs as well, I'm not using those, didn't even get any. These are the same as what I picked up for dirt cheap. I'm sure there is something slightly lighter and more trick looking, but these will do the job very well.

'77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
          '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
          '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
          '79 GS425stock
          PROJECTS:
          '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
          '77 GS550 740cc major mods
          '77 GS400 489cc racer build
          '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
          '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Cheers Chuck, good to know! I looked into some SV rearsets a while back and one particular type looked like it could be a relatively simple swap over but I haven't gone any further yet. Definitely let us know how they end up, very handy with the nub too. The footpeg isn't a huge issue for me, the dent in the header is the real PITA but I'll live with it for the moment.
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
              Cheers Chuck, good to know!

Definitely let us know how they end up, very handy with the nub too.

The footpeg isn't a huge issue for me, the dent in the header is the real PITA but I'll live with it for the moment.
              Get a vice-grip slide hammer, & harbor freight weld-on dent puller studs. MIG weld it to the ground\prepared spot in the middle of the dent. Then with a good Mapp Gas or oxy-acetylene torch, heat the dent area only, mostly the perimeter of it, until it's glowing red (don't heat the center much). Attach vice grips threaded onto the end of the slide hammer, and whack away.

They sell 2 stroke dirt bike kits to seal/plug off the ends of the pipes with clamps, and have a schraeder valve in one cap, so you can pressurize the insides of the pipe to 30psi & then apply heat into the dent area, and the air pressure alone pops it out once the metal is red hot! A pipe that has been flushed out thoroughly to remove unburnt fuel and oil residue is preferred, and pressuring woth nitrogen or even argon for a welder would be preferred even further to make things safer. Most just use air however. Perhaps you could rig up your own setup like this to remove the dent.

Sorry about the Hayabusa rearsets photos, they are not very clear!
              Here is a better pic:

I'm definitely planning on using these and may even get another set. The aftermarket Billet rearsets that I have do not have folding foot pegs, and I consider that pretty crucial, I think it would save them in a crash, but would sacrifice scraping up a lot more of the bike. I need some sportbike sliders strategically positioned on both of the bikes that I will be putting these on.
              '79 GS425stock
              PROJECTS:
              '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Yep, definitely need folding pegs, I think solid pegs would just be asking for trouble.

Cheers on the pipe repair tips too, will keep those in mind when I get to doing something with it. I really need to get my Kat done so I can take the 450 off the road for a few weeks and give her the TLC she deserves.
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

See if this works.

Nope.
                  Last edited by Guest; 02-05-2018, 11:54 AM.

Comment

1981 GS250T getting there

Finally figured out how to get a full size photo up. Thanks for having me in the group. I still need to paint the tank. Actually, I have a tank from a GS450E that I intend to swap over but it needs some work.

Edy
                    2003 SV650 full fairing on a formerly naked bike so it has handlebars, not clipons
                    1995 Yamaha XT225
                    2007 Yamaha XT225
                    1981 GS250T Cafe

Comment

The photo is not showing up still for me.

I just scored my third GS450S/81-83 GS450E gas tank, $200 for the nice one with almost acceptable paint, some touch-up needed, all black, $150 for one with no dents but a lot of surface rust, now I just scored one with no rust but a few small dents for $90!
                      The GS550 hot rod 740cc build will get 1 of them. And I may build a 2nd GS400/425 big bore, but more of a streetable semi-budget build...
                      One project at a time Chuck... bike at a time!!! Doesn't stop me from nabbing the deals and scarce vintage performance parts when they pop up... I now have about double as many high end aftermarket vintage shocks as I do bikes!

On the photo, try and find a share link or something that shows you the URL address of just the photo. Something that is not a secured URL that can only be seen when you are signed in on your computer or device.
                      You can also upload a limited amount of photos to the GS website. Then they will post as a small attachment thumbnail. But you can use UBB code to post them full size in the post by typing this sort of code:
                      ]IMG[http://www.photosuckit.com/photoURLi...dHERE.jpg]/IMG[
                      Basically like that accept with your correct photo address where my example URL is, and the brackets or squared off parentheses I had to reverse so that it did not try and read it as code. So the brackets go the opposite directions around the image tag code. Hopefully that goes through and you can see everything I just typed
                      Last edited by Chuck78; 02-07-2018, 11:06 PM.
                      '79 GS425stock
                      PROJECTS:
                      '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Rats. Sorry about that.
                        Attached Files
                        2003 SV650 full fairing on a formerly naked bike so it has handlebars, not clipons
                        1995 Yamaha XT225
                        2007 Yamaha XT225
                        1981 GS250T Cafe

Comment

solarae - your bike looks nice and clean, the 450E tank will really tie it together. What jets are you using with those pods and exhaust?

Comment

Thanks for the compliment! The first thing I did was raise the needle by removing the plastic spacer. That cured the bogging in the mid range I experienced. I then replaced the 115 main jet with a 117.5 and then a 120. Those changes were less dramatic. The bike runs great and sounds amazing. Not too terribly loud but definitely a enjoyable exhaust note.
                            1995 Yamaha XT225
                            2007 Yamaha XT225
                            1981 GS250T Cafe

Comment

Here's my latest project the day I brought it home about a month ago, 82 GS450txz. It's "That time of the month" and my bandwidth is being throttled for a few more days, I'm taking pictures and documenting my progress. https://i.imgur.com/ZnasQjf.jpg
                              1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                              1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                              LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Finally got my GFs 1982 all road ready
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X