No announcement yet.

Valve Stem Seals, or maybe throw in the towel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lube is the best way to prevent seal lip damage. The valve stem end is beveled and collet retaining grooves are smooth and not sharp enough to damage the seal unless the seal is old, cold and hard. Best lube to use is molybdenum engine assembly grease. Factory manual says to use it. Assembly lube liquifies on start up and moly has strong anti-seize properties on metal on metal contact which is what you want until engine oil can reach where its needed. Stem seals wipe the valve stem but just enough oil is left on the stem to lubricate it. Just be gentle pushing the stem through the seal.

"Johnny the boy has done it again... This time its a scrubber"
    ​​
    Darryl from Kiwiland

1982 GSX1100S Katana 1982 GSX750S Katana 1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

Thank you, gentlemen. Seals ordered.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
        Remove the spring from the seal, oil the valve stem (GS valves do not have threads like in the movie shown earlier)
        and push the valve through the seal.
        No way that can cause damage to the lip.

Utterly wrong - it's very easy to damage the lip that way and you won't know it until you've put it all back together and on the road.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by KiwiAlfa156 View Post
          The valve stem end is beveled and collet retaining grooves are smooth and not sharp enough to damage the seal
          Another piece of wrong-headed advice.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post

Another piece of wrong-headed advice.
            Were you traumatized by an unfortunate stem seal incident? Asking for a friend.

"Johnny the boy has done it again... This time its a scrubber"
            ​​
            Darryl from Kiwiland

1982 GSX1100S Katana 1982 GSX750S Katana 1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

All parts ordered, should be here before Xmas. I have vacation scheduled the whole last week of December. So with any luck I’ll be going for a New Years Day ride on a re-re-built GS. We’ll see how it goes. I may be able to get the valves back in the head this week.

I hate scraping gaskets, but at the same time find it very satisfying work. Complete focus on getting it all, and on not gouging the mating surface. Of course, after I took this picture, I dropped the razor blade down the cam chain tunnel. That really got me sweating til I eventually retrieved it with a small needle-nose pliers. I had a rag in the piston hole. No idea why I didn’t put one in the tunnel. But, with that, all parts are at least clean and ready for rebuild.

Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 11-20-2023, 01:01 AM.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

8 down- 8 to go. That went better than I had any right to think that it might.

Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Good, because I checked: throwing towels is against forum rules.
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Rob, with all the help here, l know I can do this.

All valves are back in place and I’m waiting on about $250 worth of gaskets, rings, and other bits to arrive to complete the rebuild.
                    Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                      All parts ordered, should be here before Xmas. I have vacation scheduled the whole last week of December. So with any luck I’ll be going for a New Years Day ride on a re-re-built GS. We’ll see how it goes. I may be able to get the valves back in the head this week.

I hate scraping gaskets, but at the same time find it very satisfying work. Complete focus on getting it all, and on not gouging the mating surface. Of course, after I took this picture, I dropped the razor blade down the cam chain tunnel. That really got me sweating til I eventually retrieved it with a small needle-nose pliers. I had a rag in the piston hole. No idea why I didn’t put one in the tunnel. But, with that, all parts are at least clean and ready for rebuild.

Hey is that a towel we see.
                      1983 GS 550 LD
                      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

No Cipher. That is definitely a rag.
                        No towels thrown in, yet.
                        Rich
                        1982 GS 750TZ
                        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

So, I got this fiber/paper base gasket from eBay. It was packaged folded in half and the envelope bent in half longways. Out of the package, no creases or tears. But not sure if I should go ahead and use it, probably not worth the trouble to send back for $15 I spent? I did not leave a positive feedback.

or order this one?

Rich
                          1982 GS 750TZ
                          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                            So, I got this fiber/paper base gasket from eBay. It was packaged folded in half and the envelope bent in half longways. Out of the package, no creases or tears. But not sure if I should go ahead and use it, probably not worth the trouble to send back for $15 I spent? I did not leave a positive feedback.

or order this one?
                            https://www.ebay.com/itm/294802954527?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=6-YLDnaeQ4a&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=EK7fcRW9Q5y&var=&wid get_ver=artemis&media=COPY
                            I wouldn't be comfortable with the folded base gasket. Too much to redo if it doesn't work.
                            If it was my choice, I'd go with the OEM eBay one. (Only one left!)
                            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Thanks Bob,
                              Re-reading what I wrote. this is the only logical answer. Ordered.
                              Rich
                              1982 GS 750TZ
                              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

May be OK for some other gasket, but I wouldn't use it either. Just waaay too much to do if need to re-do it.
                                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                                X