1978 gs750 valve adjustment question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 gs750 valve adjustment question

I just recently bought a gs750 and am no motorcycle expert other than what I learned from this forum and my manual. However I rebuilt the carbs I think decently and I got it running decently or better than before however I know it needs the valves adjusted as I hear some rattling and the previous owner had never done a valve job and the bike has 12xxx. I have never done a valve job and the manual is somewhat confusing any help on the procedural steps would be most appreciated. The bike is a 1978, more so I also want to Change the sprocket and chain and was wondering what would be a more beneficial teeth ration for riding around town hardly any freeway rides...

Hello,Have you seen Cliff's site.
    Check it out.Lots of good stuff.

1978 GS1000C
    1979 GS1000E
    1980 GS1000E
    2004 Roadstar

Comment

If you want to lower your gearing a bit for town riding you could try a 45 tooth rear sprocket in place of the 41 tooth that you have on there presently. Z1 Enterprises has a good price on sprockets. Just bought one myself. Replace the chain while you are about it. And check the front sprocket for wear, or just replace it as well. Best option (most expensive) is to replace both sprockets and chain at the same time.

If you are really keen you could swap over to #530 chain and sprockets in place of your #630 setup at the present time.
      Last edited by Guest; 03-08-2012, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Actually, the stock 15/42 tooth arrangement (2.80:1 ratio) it already near perfect for a 750.
        If you want to go to the 3.00:1 ratio that Don suggested, you could try a 14 tooth front (do not go lower in tooth count on the front) countershaft sprocket change and save time/money.
        Anyway, if you are changing new sprockets and chain anyhow, you could go with a 15/44 arrangement and get a 2.93:1 ratio.
        I would try the stock ratio first and see how you like it.

BTW, where are the missing pictures of your bike? You do KNOW that they are required here, right?

Daniel

Comment

thank you for the input, it is very useful and i am thinking about going with the stock sprockets anyway, i just want to get her running well first
          and about the picture ill snap one tomorrow morning and post it on, I just put on the super bike bars yesterday so its coming together.

Comment

Working...
          X