Split case - white oil but seals look OK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Split case - white oil but seals look OK

So I've opened up my engine as part of a project to replace the internal seals. I had a really bad oil leak that my research on the forum suggested might be caused by a failure of the internal seals.

The oil was coming from the infamous mystery hole.

So far, the seals that are visible don't look nearly as bad as I had expected but I'm still exploring.

Anyway - here's my question - why is my oil white? It looked this way when I drained the oil in preparation for pulling the engine and I've been wondering ever since what could have caused my oil to turn color like this.

Here's a close up shot of what I mean -

Is there an obvious explanation or did a stalker just pour coffee mate in my engine?

It has water or condensation in it. Ray.

Comment

Could be water in the oil. Did you jet wash the engine with any exposed openings?
      Richard
      sigpic
      GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
      GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
      Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
      Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Nope, I've never jet washed it. Of course, this is the Pacific Northwest so we do get our share of rain. But I've ridden in rain lots of times before and never had the oil change colors like this.

Comment

Do you do lots of short journeys and have high humidity? That will do it too.
          sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Well, I do commute daily, or did until this issue. But I've been riding the same way on this same bike for that past five years or so and this is the first time the oil has become white like this.

Maybe it is just water but I was always taught water and oil don't mix, and this looks pretty well churned into a common color.

Comment

Working...
            X